Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking if I am not happy with the price of a fully loaded 350 then maybe instead going for a 2006 Acura TL (the reason being is I saw one recently with a kit and wheels - I believe both Ron Jon products - and was pretty impressed). Anyway my question is would I be making a bad decision going for a new TL. Any opinions/comments/facts welcomed.

·
Registered
656 Posts
It is a very highly rated car at a good price. Reliable, though not quite as much so as a Lexus, but it's got power and a nice interior. The redesign of the TL in '03 or '04 (I forget which) was substantial. FWD, though, is something that may or may not mean anything to your decision. I also have the TL pegged as a possible replacement for my IS in a few years when I make a change.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
I drove the TL a little while back. It's a nice car... stylish... comfy... etc. Even though it has 260hp(???)... it has no torque steer at all. And the stability control doesn't interfere too much. I was able to get some tire squeal at launches even with the the stability system on. I don't think it's a bad car.

Just don't expect it to handle like the IS300. I could really feel the weight and body roll in comparison to the IS. The TL drives nicely... but it's a fat pig in comparison to the smaller, nimbler IS300. ALso something I noticed is... despite the high hp number... I did not feel a big kick in the pants when I floored the gas pedal.

So yeah... the TL is a nice car... but if you want a sport Acura sedan... you're probably better off with the TSX. The TL is for slightly older people.

Infact the TSX is to the IS300 what the TL is to the IS350.

I have not driven the IS350 yet... but I anticipate its suspension being tighter than that TL I drove. So for my purposes... I would choose the new IS. But I would recommend you drive both... spend some time sitting in both... and see which one suits you better.

·
Registered
407 Posts
im in the same boat as you ny. the 2 cars are quite different though. it is front wheel drive but this thing does haul ass. id compare the tl more to the es330 and the tl puts the es330 to shame in handling, performance, and luxury amenities. i will want to test drive the IS though before making any decisions as you should do the same. but ive already drvien the tl and was very impressed with it. im waiting on the pricing for the new IS to come out and basically that will make the decision for for me.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Yea I drove the redesigned TL and it's a nice family car. It did have a lot of body roll. I don't find it as sporty as the IS though.

·
Registered
174 Posts
yeah.. i myself am a little curious what the 350 will cost. The performance of a G35 isn't far off, and at this point, a fully loaded G35 is 37k msrp. I'm curious where the IS 350 will fall into that mix.

I like the IS350, but I have a personal issue with spending more than 40K on a car. I can afford it, but I was raised cheap, and would have a seriously hard time justifying that price point with the G35 where it is (even if it is fugly). Of course, the mark levinson is worth another 2K on top of the G35's MSRP :).

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
I drove an '04 TL for about a week and can honestly say I did notice
torque steer. I also noticed that the car isn't balanced as well as
our IS --- It was very twitchy at higher speeds in the twisties.

I am not a fan of the interior...I find the interior in a TSX much more
appealing --> but as mentioned above the TL is definitely geared at
a different demographic (Old people).

Definitely drive a TL before making a plunge ---> take it out for a
while, or if you have the ability take it for a few days.

On a side note; I did see pics of a concept Mugen TL and that
looked very hot!

j

·
Registered
656 Posts
The TL is obviously not as sporty as the IS300. It doesn't look all that sporty, and it definitely doesn't handle like the IS, but I think people like myself looking at the TL for the future know that going in. I have three kids, and my other car's a minivan, so I don't mind driving a family-oriented car sometime again in the future. I will still keep the new IS in mind, though in five years who knows what will be out there.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Something else... I noticed the TL I drove wasn't as refined as even the IS300. The IS300 feels smooth... even though it's firm enough to handle the "twisties". But the TL had this harsh feedback while I was driving it... especially on the highway. You could feel the road surface... and not in a good way. It was the equivalence to hearing static or hissing while listening to music.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
The design of the new TL is just beautiful, the reason why I didnt buy it.
-FWD
-Very few aftermarket products for performance (that was a year ago, maybe its changed)

Other then that its a reliable car
Go to http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/ they're pretty cool around there

·
Registered
16 Posts
RL or IS350

I know these are totally different classes... but when my friend recently purchased TSX the dealer was telling us how the RL's sales are failing and they're starting to sell them at or close to invoice which is roughly 43,000. If the IS350 with nav is going to be around that price I would have a tough decision.
Pros: The RL is roomier the IS ( I was really disappointed in the interior size of the IS), has All wheel drive, still has paddle shifting, is still fast enough, excellent NAV, and mainly the Value. (I'm assuming we have to pay MSRP for the IS when it comes out.) also FREE oil changes
Cons: No rear view camera (all others in its class seems to have it now and even the IS has it), its still an Acura compared to Lexus.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
FWD, yuck! The styling was nice, but it's started looking dated already. Not to mention, it's not a whole lot different from an Accord, which it is based on anyways. Nice packaging, though...you can have a fully-loaded TL for $34K, give or take.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
heyheyhey said:
I know these are totally different classes... but when my friend recently purchased TSX the dealer was telling us how the RL's sales are failing and they're starting to sell them at or close to invoice which is roughly 43,000. If the IS350 with nav is going to be around that price I would have a tough decision.
Pros: The RL is roomier the IS ( I was really disappointed in the interior size of the IS), has All wheel drive, still has paddle shifting, is still fast enough, excellent NAV, and mainly the Value. (I'm assuming we have to pay MSRP for the IS when it comes out.) also FREE oil changes
Cons: No rear view camera (all others in its class seems to have it now and even the IS has it), its still an Acura compared to Lexus.
If the RL had a Lexus badge id go for it...

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
I was in a TL again yesterday and am really seeing it as a nicer alternative to the new IS. I like the interior of the TL a lot more than the pictures I have seen of the IS and I think the exterior styling is nicer too. Also, even with 30 less hp or so and no RWD, I would be happier to have everything standard and for about $7000-9000 cheaper than the IS350, based on our estimates and what people have posted today. I mean, I don't want/need NAV but want the good audio system and the TL has an awesome system standard, with XM which I had to have installed in my IS. Yes, I know it says you can get XM in the 350 but not until next year.
I think the TL would just a better fit for me.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I test drove a TL prior to buying my 05 IS.

Nice boulevard cruiser, but if you like to toss the car a bit, look elsewhere.

Biggest flaw of the car is the steering feel, felt like an old Cadillac.

Perhaps that helps explain why most TL owners I see are over 45?

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
The TL is nice but for around the same price I would opt for a IS350 or a G35 sedan. The G35 sedan also comes in 6 spd manual at 298 hp and with a aftermarket body kit which I have seen looks very nice. Not many people have a hooked up G35 sedan so u can be different than every1 with the coupes not saying that the coupe isn't nice but uncommon. Also the 06 TL revise with less power due to stricter emissions, the hp went from 270 to 258 now.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
KraxyKanuck said:
I was in a TL again yesterday and am really seeing it as a nicer alternative to the new IS. I like the interior of the TL a lot more than the pictures I have seen of the IS and I think the exterior styling is nicer too. Also, even with 30 less hp or so and no RWD, I would be happier to have everything standard and for about $7000-9000 cheaper than the IS350, based on our estimates and what people have posted today. I mean, I don't want/need NAV but want the good audio system and the TL has an awesome system standard, with XM which I had to have installed in my IS. Yes, I know it says you can get XM in the 350 but not until next year.
I think the TL would just a better fit for me.
If you like the TL... buy the TL. The world isn't going to end if you do.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Actually, the HP didn't change

fyeung04msm said:
The TL is nice but for around the same price I would opt for a IS350 or a G35 sedan. The G35 sedan also comes in 6 spd manual at 298 hp and with a aftermarket body kit which I have seen looks very nice. Not many people have a hooked up G35 sedan so u can be different than every1 with the coupes not saying that the coupe isn't nice but uncommon. Also the 06 TL revise with less power due to stricter emissions, the hp went from 270 to 258 now.
Honda recertified their cars using the new SAE standards, which resulting in a lower HP rating for all of their cars. The key word here is RATING. The engine is not one iota different than last year's. Performance will be identical. The only thing that changes will be what Honda/Acura can print on their brochures and web pages.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
What's the revised ratings for the G35? I haven't seen any new numbers.

·
Registered
12,082 Posts
FWD isn't just about torque steer, it is also about weight balance. When a car is FWD the engine is transversally mounted and hangs over the front axel. This makes the car very heavy in the front which makes it feel a bit strange when pushing it in the corners.

The TL is a great car though. If they add the SH-AWD system to it and keep it cheap it will compete. The handling problem will still exist though, because even the Honda's AWD system still uses a transversally mounted engine. :confused:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts