Lexus IS Forum banner

If IS was not a Lexus

2K views 27 replies 21 participants last post by  Overcrook 
#1 ·
In Japan the IS300 is badged as a Toyota there. Known as the Toyota Altezza it has two engine choices; 4cyl 210hp, or 6cyl 160hp. If the IS had arrived into the States from Japan with the 4cyl along with the Toyota sign would you still have bought it without the Lexus nameplate and extra cylinders?

------------------
01 Black Onyx IS300

[This message has been edited by ispeed (edited November 27, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by ispeed (edited November 27, 2000).]

#6 ·
Well first the 2.0L I4 in the Altezza is not a turbo, it is the latest 3S-GE powerplant (the turbo is the 3S-GTE, 260hp in it's latest variant in the Toyota Caldina wagon). But if it came here with that name, I would most definetly still buy it. I love Toyota. Lexus=Toyota. In fact, lately I've even been calling Lexus cars by their Japanese Toyota names lately. Whenever I do get an IS300, the first thing I'll be doing is swapping the badges for Toyota Altezza emblems. I'll be going for that JDM look.

Oh and BTW, for once with this car, the U.S. gets the best engine (215hp I-6). It's not really better at this point since no manual tranny is available yet, but the I6 has much more torque than the 200hp I4 does, which means the U.S. car is quicker off the line than the Japanese car. In fact even the Japanese think our engine is better, which is why one company took an Altezza and swapped in the I6 engine, which they then turbocharged to the tune of about 380 hp (I have a video of this car from sdstreetracing.org, sweet car).

------------------
Patrick
1989 Camry 5-speed
Mods: Suspension, intake, exhaust, stereo, interior
The ImportMania Performance Page
http://importspeed.net/importmania

#8 ·
Originally posted by Patrick89:
Well first the 2.0L I4 in the Altezza is not a turbo, it is the latest 3S-GE powerplant (the turbo is the 3S-GTE, 260hp in it's latest variant in the Toyota Caldina wagon).
I read somewhere that the stock I4 had a turbo.
But thanks for clearing that up.

------------------
01 Black Onyx IS300

#9 ·
no i would not. the performance advantages of the 2jzge are crazy, i wouldn't want any other non turbo motor in it. if it said toyota and came with the 2j, i wouldn't care.

#11 ·
it just irks me, its not just you, a lot of newbies don't bother looking to see if their question has already been discussed and answered and they post a subject that has been beatened to death monthes ago. it is really inconsiderate and disrespectful to other members if they have to read the same question every other week.

I tire of the BS i've had to put up with in recent weeks. that and this is just standard Newbie Bashing, its mandatory, check page 420 of your IS300.net etiquette or basic forum netiquette.

#13 ·
I will consider it even more because it might be cheaper, and i don't need some of the luxury features inside the lexus anyway. But i have heard that the four cylinder enginer is underpowered, that is, the chassis is "faster" than the engine, that's why they need to put a 3.0 inline-six here. Anyways, I prefer a Toyota Altezza here more.

#14 ·
Don't forget the Altezza 4CYL is lighter, has Dual VVT-i (red line 7800rpm), and a 6 speed Transmission.

Underpowered? Yes, in low end torque. And it is not as rev happy as Honda engines.

But what if you put a low pressure, lagless turbo on this 4 banger? Thats what I'll be driving in three days. I can't wait!

Altezza

RS200 Z edition (Black)
El Sport (Bilstein) dampers
Bestex Springs
TRD semi-bucket seats
Takata 4 point seatbelt
Trust bolt on turbo kit
HKS oil cooler + meters
TRD suspension member brace
TRD Front Tower bar

And IS200 emblems
(There's so much Altezzas around my neighbourhood)

#15 ·
Originally posted by Altezza:
Don't forget the Altezza 4CYL is lighter, has Dual VVT-i (red line 7800rpm), and a 6 speed Transmission.

Underpowered? Yes, in low end torque. And it is not as rev happy as Honda engines.

But what if you put a low pressure, lagless turbo on this 4 banger? Thats what I'll be driving in three days. I can't wait!

Altezza

RS200 Z edition (Black)
El Sport (Bilstein) dampers
Bestex Springs
TRD semi-bucket seats
Takata 4 point seatbelt
Trust bolt on turbo kit
HKS oil cooler + meters
TRD suspension member brace
TRD Front Tower bar

And IS200 emblems
(There's so much Altezzas around my neighbourhood)
tell us how it goes

#16 ·
Anybody ever heard of the Aristo? Or the Celsior? Or the Harrier? Or even the Soarer? We call them the GS, the LS, the RX, and SC in America but it's all Toyota.

In terms of the engine, right now I really want the 3S-GE since Japanese engine mod parts would work on them, but in the future when more tuners make parts for the IS, the 2JZ-GE will be highly appreciated.

I think I said this in another post... Altezza does not equal IS300. When rice boys rebadge their cars it's often to something better than what they have: Integra RS to Type R, 240SX to Silvia, etc. Besides a 6 speed tranny and 300 pound difference, the IS300 is in most respects better than an Altezza.

#17 ·
Oh, by the way, there was a limited edition Altezza 280T with TOMS mod parts (including a turbo) giving out 280PS. Sold via Netz dealerships so its not exactly a factory made Altezza. (Basically aftermarket mods only).

And if I remember correctly only about 200 of these were sold. And a lot of owners are complaining about engine stall and etc. TOMS also had trouble of adjusting the air flow meter. The 3S-GE Dual VVT-i seems to be a difficult engine to tune.

#18 ·
Of course!! Why not? Toyota ranks the highest in quality among all automakers. I've had several Toyotas, and found them to be great cars. Reliability is unbeatable.
I currently own a Supercharged 4Runner, and of course my IS300, and love em both.
Heck, if it came here as the Altezza, it'd probably be a lot cheaper too. So if it were the same car, I'd definitely buy it.
Although, my guess is that the 4 cylinder VVTi-L engine, that makes 210 hp, in the Altezza is probably better than the I-6. Why? Because it's lighter and makes about the same hp (I'm assuming all this), although not as much torque. And it's already available with a 6spd manual transmission. Also, the weight saved gives the car better balance/poise, and perhaps perfect 50/50 weight distribution.
Nevertheless, I'm glad we got the I-6 from the GS...love the sound of it, and the performance too. And with a few mods, it'll compete with the likes of the mighty M3.

black/ivory
17"

#19 ·
I wish the Altezza would have come here, but I'm not confident that it would sell well. If the New Celica hadn't been introduced, and the Altezza was instead, we'd have a new ball game.

2JZ non turbo isn't too widely supported unfortunately. Mods are more difficult now with this new ECU and metering system. The old 2JZ was alot easier to deal with. The good thing about the new metering system is the lack of distributor so there is much more room in the engine bay for a supercharger.

I think we'll see alot more modification in a few years. The cars are still fresh right now.

I remember back when the supra TT came out and the only things available were a filter, exhaust, and FCD. Read some of those old posts, it's the funniest thing!!!

#21 ·
lol pro wings. we couldnt afford pro wings back then, so my mom got xj900's.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RobsAltezza on 2002-01-24 21:01 ]</font>

#23 ·
I find it weird that in Japan, the higher line engine is a 4cyl vs the base 6cyl engine. That would never fly in the US.

What really sold me on the IS300 was the 2JZ-GE motor in the car. If it was any other block...I would have had some reservations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.