Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Idea regarding the "IS300 Auto Transmission Drain/Refill/Flush" thread.

I wanted to quote this thread (IS300 Auto Transmission Drain/Refill/Flush) with an idea and few questions.

Before I start... I DO NOT HAVE DEEP KNOWLEDGE ABOUT THIS TOPIC, AND THIS IS JUST AN IDEA.

At some point they mentioned the correct way that a dealer flushes the transmission fluid:

"Notes: You are not really doing a flush, but you are drastically diluting the dirty fluid with clean fluid. I would guess that with 4 passes you are probably 80% fresh fluid, 20% old fluid. The dealer flush procedure involves disconnecting the transmission fluid return line and hooking up a machine in between the return line and the oil pan. I figure that this is almost as good. I also don’t drop the oil pan, as this requires special tools so as a result the transmission filters and magnets are not cleaned. This has never been a problem at a 60k, but I will ask them to perform this at the 90k service."

As the transmission fluid goes through the radiator, the idea is to disconnect the OUT line from the radiator, and with the engine started, let an specific amount of fluid to be drained into a container. Then turn off the engine and pour in new fluid in the same amount of old fluid that came out.

This is an raw idea...

I don't know if the transmission fluid starts cycling through the radiator as soon as I turn on the engine
I don't know with how much pressure the fluid will be going out of the OUT line from the radiator
I don't know if the fluid stops cycling through the radiator immediately after I turn off the car.

I dont know if this method will work at all :confused:

1 - 1 of 1 Posts