Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local landfill has an accurate vehicle scale to check loads going into the dump.

With my tank just about empty, the scale read 3273 lbs.

Hmm - I even have the moonroof option, and LSD option, and I was still within a few pounds of the quoted weight of 3270.

So - the moonroof and LSD don't seem to add alot of weight.

I don't know how much the power/heated seats weigh since I have the base cloth seats.

·
Registered
90 Posts
That's great to know...I guess when C&D did the IS300 road test and came up with 3380 lbs or so, most of the extra weight was from the full tank of gas.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
I've put a little thought into the 0-60 time of the IS300, but what about the rims and tires? With 17" wheels the car comes with 45% aspect ratio tires right? I don't know what % aspect ratio the 16" wheels come with, but I would imagine they are higher profile tires. These factory wheels aren't exaclty Volk lightweights, and the combination of the extra inch and extra weight with the 17" wheels, plus the stiffer sidewalls could contribute to the slower times. For straight line acceleration the sidewalls might be too stiff and the unsprung weight the 17s add might contribute to those extra tenths of a second.

[From TEG: I think the 16" wheels come with 55 series tires.]

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited September 29, 2000).]

·
Registered
626 Posts
Originally posted by HIBBoyScott:
I've put a little thought into the 0-60 time of the IS300, but what about the rims and tires? With 17" wheels the car comes with 45% aspect ratio tires right? I don't know what % aspect ratio the 16" wheels come with, but I would imagine they are higher profile tires. These factory wheels aren't exaclty Volk lightweights, and the combination of the extra inch and extra weight with the 17" wheels, plus the stiffer sidewalls could contribute to the slower times. For straight line acceleration the sidewalls might be too stiff and the unsprung weight the 17s add might contribute to those extra tenths of a second.

Also with my fat AZZZ in the car, I am going nowhere FAST AHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

·
8,107 Posts
Great post, that's good to know. Since water weighs 8 lb/gallon, a full tank of gas is probably 120-130 lb, which would explain C&D's tested weight. Car still needs to go on a diet.

Originally posted by TEG:
My local landfill has an accurate vehicle scale to check loads going into the dump.

With my tank just about empty, the scale read 3273 lbs.

Hmm - I even have the moonroof option, and LSD option, and I was still within a few pounds of the quoted weight of 3270.

So - the moonroof and LSD don't seem to add alot of weight.

I don't know how much the power/heated seats weigh since I have the base cloth seats.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
LOL...no...weigh it, obviously!

I always had a weird inclination of taking a car to one of those weigh stations for semis.

[This message has been edited by JW (edited September 30, 2000).]

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Are you sure that scale is accurate?? cuz if you look on the driver's door...it'll tell you how much that exact car weighs. mine said 4,000 something...i fergot. but 3,300 or so for a lexus sounds very very light.

------------------
Spectra Blue IS300

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
are you sure the 4000 isn't the maximum wieght for the car? 4000lb is alot for a small car like this. Even the GS is under 4000.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
no 4000 is the max weight....my dad's benz says 3800 and i almost freaked....3800 lbs and 127hp but 0-60 in 9s?

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, the scale I used is accurate.

The GVWR printed on the door is a "max allowable weight".

It is about 1000 lbs more than the actual weight of the car... They are saying that you can have 4 200lb people + a full tank of gas + some luggage in the car, and not expect to have the springs break or anything. If you put 5 bags of cement in the trunk along with all that other stuff, then they don't guarantee that the car will handle the load.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
11 Participants
TEG
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing