Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals,

I was wondering if it would worth my time and money to invest in my 2004 is 300? Nothing too crazy, just add some better rims, better brake kit (slotted, drilled, or blank?), maybe lowering springs, and possibly an exhaust. now i know most of this maybe a must while others arent.

Also, How many of you guys have more serious mods on your cars with high mileage? is it worth it?

thanks! just trying to get insight.

·
Registered
198 Posts
My mechanic has a set of questions he asked he customers, that have high mileage cars, that need VERY expensive repairs. 1 - do you really like the car? 2 - do you or are you planning on keeping the car? If the answer is yes, then you fix it, if not, part it out.

So what are your answers? How many miles on it? Manual or stick? LSD or non-:LSD? Stock wheels and tires?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, and maybe. Mine is about to hit 100,000 which is not bad, compared to others i"ve seen on the market. Mine is automatic, sadly. It is Non-LSD. and yes stock tires and wheels.

·
Registered
97 Posts
yes, and maybe. Mine is about to hit 100,000 which is not bad, compared to others i"ve seen on the market. Mine is automatic, sadly. It is Non-LSD. and yes stock tires and wheels.
LMAO. You didn't break the car in yet. I seen people invest money in cars with over 200,000 miles with mechanical issues. As long as your routine maintenance is good, go for it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I really wouldn't consider modifying a car with low miles. I prefer a high mileage older car so that I can maintain the sense of "I did it because thats what I wanted to do." If you think that the IS300 is special like I do, and you want to keep it long term because its simply a great car, then absolutely mod the heck out of it because its fun to bolt stuff on and turn wrenches and its fun to drive a car with some neat mods.

·
Mr. Roo
9,286 Posts
only 100k miles? Wow that's like unheard of how low that is. That is NOT high. 200k is maybe high. I keep putting money in mine even though it's a lost cause, because I can either drive something fun and enjoyable, or something boring. I earn money to use/spend/enjoy it and enrich my life. Putting it into my car means I enjoy my car more, and it stimulates the economy and puts food on other people's table. It's never about the question of "is it worth it", because of course it is, as long as you do it for the right reason. If you do it just for $$$, then of course it's not worth it, you'll NEVER end up getting that money back. But what is more valuable, money... or what it can buy? That's up to you to decide

·
Registered
198 Posts
Dude, 100k aint nothin! Ive got a manual [email protected]

So heres my list of what Ive done. These are my experiences and opinions only. Maybe breakdown into driveability and power.

Driveability

- CDD mod, throttle pedal mod, sway bars (I like Hotchkis - adjustable). I need struts soon, so I will be getting Bilstiens. When I need brakes Im getting better pads, and likely just cross drilled rotors - not sure I want to fork out for big brakes...dunno. Doing strut bars too.

Power and better performance

- cam gear (do not dyno, just set about -4 to 4.5deg). I changed mine to -3.5 because redline came up in a blink, plus the butt dyno noticed some torque loss. It just felt better after. Your power band is so much smoother, and acceleration is better. You can feel at 5k rpm that redline is coming. Dont expect real noticeable horse power gains

- intake - JoeZ is the best bang for the buck. Toss in a Blitz or K&N drop-in filter. I went to a K&N FIPK out of preference. I did have the actual first all black JoeZ intake. It was a good product. Some gains, and if its an open filter sounds great, especially at WOT!

- exhaust - go axle back, it can at times save you $100-200 plus. I have an HKS Drager, and I really like it. I will be going full catback with it, but its not a huge change. There are a good number of these units out there. Listen to sound files and see what you like. Some gains, and good sound.

- Supra flywheel - not applicable

- LSD - I had my mechanic find an auto LSD unit used, and in great condition. I went with the auto because it has 3.93 gears, as opposed to 3.72 gears. The increased traction, better handling, and driveability, have made this my favorite mod.

- Tires - when you need them. I still have the 5-spoke wheels, but I went up to 225/45r17 wheels. Wider tire, better handling, more traction, and fill some of that open space in the wheel well. I use BFG G-Force tires. Would love a mesh style wheel, but new wheels and tires (would go wider) are just too much.

So depending on your state, headers,y-pipes, etc. may be legal. A legal header and y pipe in CA will run at ~$1500, elsewhere, not nearly as much elsewhere.

Check out valve bodies and grounding kits. Used to hear about them years ago when I got my car (original owner), but havent seen anything lately (supposed to help trans shift better and faster - i think?)

Theres coil overs if you wanna drop too.

Tranny swap?

FI?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LMAO. You didn't break the car in yet. I seen people invest money in cars with over 200,000 miles with mechanical issues. As long as your routine maintenance is good, go for it.
So what Constitutes as high miles car? because this is the Norm, i guess that insurance companies put on cars. but yes, i do my best to do its routine maintenance

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really wouldn't consider modifying a car with low miles. I prefer a high mileage older car so that I can maintain the sense of "I did it because thats what I wanted to do." If you think that the IS300 is special like I do, and you want to keep it long term because its simply a great car, then absolutely mod the heck out of it because its fun to bolt stuff on and turn wrenches and its fun to drive a car with some neat mods.
Yo, i agree with the passion man. Im new to the car scene, so i want to understand this better, thank you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
only 100k miles? Wow that's like unheard of how low that is. That is NOT high. 200k is maybe high. I keep putting money in mine even though it's a lost cause, because I can either drive something fun and enjoyable, or something boring. I earn money to use/spend/enjoy it and enrich my life. Putting it into my car means I enjoy my car more, and it stimulates the economy and puts food on other people's table. It's never about the question of "is it worth it", because of course it is, as long as you do it for the right reason. If you do it just for $$$, then of course it's not worth it, you'll NEVER end up getting that money back. But what is more valuable, money... or what it can buy? That's up to you to decide
Dude, this is deep stuff man. I appreciate how much i feel your passion for your car. Maybe i should have reworded that "worth it" part too. but thanks for the info man. I really appreciate this

·
Registered
97 Posts
100k is nothing for these cars. I have over 200k on my 03 manual and I replaced the old parts with upgrades like coilovers, wheels, tires, is350 front brakes and a catback exhaust. Repairs and upgrades at the same time it's a win-win lol

It's not a very fast or fuel efficient car, but it's still really fun now that it handles and brakes really well.

·
Registered
198 Posts
High miles is like 250-300k plus, but high miles on something like a 2jz or a 22r isnt the same as on other motors.

·
Registered
562 Posts
So you want to "invest" money in the car....? That's going to be a depreciating asset just like 99% of the cars on the road. Like what was previously said, "dump" money into the car if it makes you happy and you enjoy it.

Front lower balljoints and No. 2 control arm bushings are the first thing you need to replace, if they haven't been done already. The rest of the parts are superficial but can make the way more fun to drive and look better (ie: coilovers and wheels/tires).

·
Mr. Roo
9,286 Posts
It just depends on the car. Some last longer than others. Some engines last longer, some cars rust quicker, etc. So 75k miles might be high for one make/model, but very low for another. If your car isn't showing any signs of rust, oil leaks, etc then you should be good to go. 200k miles in these cars is normal. I've never heard of a car not lasting this long, unless it was wrecked. In fact, I've never heard of an IS300 actually dying of natural causes or old age. If you keep up with the maintenance, then it will last. These engines are relatively bulletproof, and so is the car overall, in addition to easy to work on. Things to keep in mind are, that if you to have an accident, the car will total out easily and you'll be in a loss. Otherwise, just take care of problems as they come up, use quality/OEM parts, and you should be good to mod and enjoy the car until you decide you want another.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So you want to "invest" money in the car....? That's going to be a depreciating asset just like 99% of the cars on the road. Like what was previously said, "dump" money into the car if it makes you happy and you enjoy it.

Front lower balljoints and No. 2 control arm bushings are the first thing you need to replace, if they haven't been done already. The rest of the parts are superficial but can make the way more fun to drive and look better (ie: coilovers and wheels/tires).
Did not think a lot about the balljoints and bushings, but now that you mention it, i should keep and eye and ear out. i do hear some noise when i go over speed bumps, more like old or worn out shocks

·
Registered
198 Posts
Did not think a lot about the balljoints and bushings, but now that you mention it, i should keep and eye and ear out. i do hear some noise when i go over speed bumps, more like old or worn out shocks
I had to do some front end work recently - I do drive it hard, but it gets attention at the slightest tremble or squeak.
Im getting strut noise too.

Major item, always do your maint. intervals, and use good synthetic like Mobil1 or Royal Purple (my LSD always gets this), Mobil1 on the other, unless its a major, and then its a Purple Party.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Dude, this is deep stuff man. I appreciate how much i feel your passion for your car. Maybe i should have reworded that "worth it" part too. but thanks for the info man. I really appreciate this
Only you can determine worth. Dont let us insist you need to pay this much, and check around to see if cheap means bad - JoeZ intake is cheap, and its about the best (SRT tanked, and in a few cases there was a loss in power). K&N FIPKs are awesome, but not enough to pay a few hundred more. But I like em, they sound cool so I did it.

To me its not worth CARB approved headers and Ypipes. Big brakes, probably not, unless rotors and calipers need replacement at the same time, then it will be a IS350 or LS conversion - maybe.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts