Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Cherisher
4,833 Posts
Boosting a car isn't reliable?? Maintenance is more?? I'm coming from the diesel world so this gas stuff is all new. If keeping up with maintenance and taking care of the turbo isn't enough to maintain a boosted car for 100k, what is the cause??

Also random, but what are some of you boosted peeps seeing for gas mileage??

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Read up on diesel compression, Sir.

Gasoline creates a completely different type of combustion.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
buy an IS car thats already turbo...it will cost you less. Theres lots of turbo IS for sale

·
Registered
152 Posts
Boosting a car isn't reliable?? Maintenance is more?? I'm coming from the diesel world so this gas stuff is all new. If keeping up with maintenance and taking care of the turbo isn't enough to maintain a boosted car for 100k, what is the cause??

Also random, but what are some of you boosted peeps seeing for gas mileage??

Its really not that bad as long as it's built correctly and with quality parts, that's the main thing. After that you may have silly little issues from time to time, but for me it's never been anything major.

As far as it lasting 100k miles... Well, you just have to consider the amount of power the engine is making over what it was "designed" for. Cylinder pressure is much higher than normal (which of course means your making more power), and it may tire out rings and things more quickly that if it was making less power, but again, if its built properly with quality components (and lets not forget TUNED properly) you should get quite a bit of life out of it still. I've boosted an engine before and made over double the stock power and beat the crap out of it for 30k miles and never really had an issue. I ended up selling the car with that same engine in it even though I was planning on building it when it started getting tired, but I never had to. There's a lot of variables but that's been my experiance.

As far as gas mileage goes, in my application I just mentioned, the engine at 120whp got 30mpg, and at 280whp it got 25mpg as an average. Of course if I was on the throttle a ton it'd be way less but I got SO many tanks that averaged 25, which I wasn't complaining about at all. So, in other words, once its boosted it should be close to stock if you can keep your foot out of it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Its really not that bad as long as it's built correctly and with quality parts, that's the main thing. After that you may have silly little issues from time to time, but for me it's never been anything major.

As far as it lasting 100k miles... Well, you just have to consider the amount of power the engine is making over what it was "designed" for. Cylinder pressure is much higher than normal (which of course means your making more power), and it may tire out rings and things more quickly that if it was making less power, but again, if its built properly with quality components (and lets not forget TUNED properly) you should get quite a bit of life out of it still. I've boosted an engine before and made over double the stock power and beat the crap out of it for 30k miles and never really had an issue. I ended up selling the car with that same engine in it even though I was planning on building it when it started getting tired, but I never had to. There's a lot of variables but that's been my experiance.

As far as gas mileage goes, in my application I just mentioned, the engine at 120whp got 30mpg, and at 280whp it got 25mpg as an average. Of course if I was on the throttle a ton it'd be way less but I got SO many tanks that averaged 25, which I wasn't complaining about at all. So, in other words, once its boosted it should be close to stock if you can keep your foot out of it.
Thanks for the input. That seems to be what everyone seems to say. As long as you do t buy cheap ebay parts and keep up with maintenance it will be ok. Mileage isn't that bad! I wonder what I will see when I get mine set up

·
Registered
544 Posts

So what kind of engine life can I expect at 500hp?? This is disgruntling....lol
Sorry, Manic, don't be disgruntled lol. I really can't even say how much more work/maintenance boost is because I'm not boosted. But I've been reading and planning for 2 years and it just seems to have more issues than non boosted. The more I read it seems as though boost is like having a really hot GF, she needs more money and attention!

Blkdout is right, it's silly things and from what I read, more maintenance. Seems like many peeps do spark plugs and oil changes at much shorter intervals (time/$). Tires go faster etc. I noticed you were also in NM, and since you're not in ABQ area emissions probably won't be an issue for you. But if you move it may be a PITA to get it re-registered. It really does depend on the power level, parts and tune.

If you haven't looked at their builds I would check out blkdout's and exist3nce's builds. Both very impressive in my opinion. Good idea of how to do things RIGHT. Especially exist3nce before he upgraded to the newest set up. His was very stockish and reliable with a great powerband.

Reactions: exist3nce

·
Registered
125 Posts
Lol it's ok. I'm going to do it just to find out haha it'll be fun while it lasts. I'll have to check them out. I'll probably end up doing the same build as some of the other guys

·
Registered
544 Posts
Sounds awesome! I know of a couple modded IS300's around here. A friend of mine is doing a big turbo build right now, excited to see that one. If you ever bring it up to ABQ we should try and get some people together for a meet.

Post your build! I'm already subscribed.

·
Registered
125 Posts
For sure. Just got to find a car I like lol. There is always something wrong with the ones I find that I don't like. For sure. It'll definitely go down. If all goes well we could plan something in August/September.

·
Registered
235 Posts
"Unless you have at least $9000 for proper maintenance and a properly built turbo kit, then don't even bother."

this is not true. people need to stop saying this. it can be done for 2 grand and be reliable for everyday use. I've done it and so have many others. people need to use the search button.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
745 Posts
Lol this thread is so old. Smh.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
"Unless you have at least $9000 for proper maintenance and a properly built turbo kit, then don't even bother."

this is not true. people need to stop saying this. it can be done for 2 grand and be reliable for everyday use. I've done it and so have many others. people need to use the search button.
Ok.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts