Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I probably didn't put this in the right section, because i'm new. I was wondering if you all could give me some advice.. I have a 2001 Is300 with 194k miles and it's all stock except for a cold air intake. What should I do to it to make it faster? Add a Turbo & suspension? Swap Engine? Buy a new is300 with less miles and then begin the tuning process? i'm a noob when it comes to tuning and maitenance but I would LOVE to learn more about it! If any of you can help me in any way it would be very much appreciated. :)

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Unless you have at least $9000 for proper maintenance and a properly built turbo kit, then don't even bother.

If you want more fun (not necessary faster), get a decent exhaust and swap to a manual (which costs several thousand in itself)..

·
Registered
152 Posts
Razo is right, its either spend about $9k or so and make it fast, or leave it alone (or maybe do a little suspension to make it look and handle better).

The problem is bolt on's don't make a noticeable difference, so you'd have to go boost for it to be worth it. And on a stock long block you're only looking at 350-400 whp on a stock longblock, which I can tell you isn't that fast and you'll want more soon afterwords.

So, in my opinion, its either a turbo kit, piston and rod upgrade, transmission upgrade, ecu and fuel system upgrades and make a good amount of power (which means you could easily drop $10k), or just leave it alone and enjoy the reliability of it's stockness.

·
Registered
327 Posts
You can go boost reliably for around 7600 but definitely research just what you're getting into going boost cause maintaining can be expensive.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Put a V8 in mine for $4300. That's what the parts donor cost... Made some money back parting it out. Not much. Maybe $1500.

I think 300hp/310tq is going to be plenty fast for awhile. Could always install a tundra supercharger if I get tired of it...

I know it's not techically done but, I have just 2 wires left on the harness.

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
i'm a noob when it comes to tuning and maitenance
Put a V8 in mine for $4300. That's what the parts donor cost...
Op is a noob and wouldn't be able to do his own wrenching and seems to know nothing about car repair.

Sway bar is the most cost effective mod to increase the "fun" factor. But learn how to drive first so you don't end up fish tailing into a guard rail.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I probably didn't put this in the right section, because i'm new. I was wondering if you all could give me some advice.. I have a 2001 Is300 with 194k miles and it's all stock except for a cold air intake. What should I do to it to make it faster? Add a Turbo & suspension? Swap Engine? Buy a new is300 with less miles and then begin the tuning process? i'm a noob when it comes to tuning and maitenance but I would LOVE to learn more about it! If any of you can help me in any way it would be very much appreciated. :)
do lots lots lots lots lots of research and go through the search bar on everything , if you aren't that savey with cars you will probably look at 9k for a good turbo setup (labor etc)...

if i was you , i would just do the regular n/a mods and drive the hell out of it

·
Registered
152 Posts
Sway bar is the most cost effective mod to increase the "fun" factor. But learn how to drive first so you don't end up fish tailing into a guard rail.
This. Put some sway bars on it! Helps a lot. I wouldn't try and slide it around corners though with stock power, its too scary lol.

And maybe an intake, it'll sound faster :p

·
Registered
152 Posts
I think it's a little ridiculous to call 400 horsepower "not that fast".
Well, if you take into consideration how much power stock cars make these days you'll understand where I'm coming from. I'd want more anyways, but then again my view of "fast" is probably different than yours, well, because I've been around truly fast cars for a while haha.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well, if you take into consideration how much power stock cars make these days you'll understand where I'm coming from. I'd want more anyways, but then again my view of "fast" is probably different than yours, well, because I've been around truly fast cars for a while haha.
Okay...

Bottom line is 400hp is more power than probably 90% of the cars on the road today. If you're comparing that number to a 900hp Supra, that, to me, is ridiculous. Because then I could say "well the Devel Sixteen has 5,000hp, so 900hp isn't that fast!"
And then you could say "oh yeah, well the Matco top fuel dragster has 10,000hp, so 5,000hp isn't that fast!"

Speed and power are all relative to your intended use. Most people want something fast and functional. Reliable.
For them, 400hp is absolutely acceptable, and probably more than most of us will ever achieve.

Bottom line, is 400hp the fastest car? Of course not.
Is it a fast car? Absolutely. :)

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I would agree that nowadays there are lots of cars with 350-400hp, and lots more in the 300hp range that can be brought up to 350-400 with just a software upgrade.

I agree with sway bars. I had two IS300s at one point. One lowered with bar and springs, other with stock suspension. The one with the bars and springs was significantly more fun, although very slow.

For power, I toyed around the idea of most of the options you possibly could. Aristo VVTi is still one of the best options.

Other than that, you could also strip the interior and get rid of some girth.

·
Registered
544 Posts
If you can turn a wrench then stay NA and upgrade the suspension and a few other things. Boost always wins the competition of power/$ but it's not for everybody and it comes with headaches and more maintanance. Power/$ for NA is much more appealing than it sounds if you aren't paying for labor.

Lighter rims, suspension upgrades, lighter flywheel (if standard I highly recommend the NA supra clutch/flywheel), and some NA mods such as the BC264's will make the car a lot of fun. A lot of these things can be done when stock parts wear out too, making it more appealing for price and function.

Consider it like this: You can buy a car with a peppy 4 cylinder or a v6 (Honda accord comes to mind). The one with the V6 will easily cost more than the 4 cylinder and I can guarantee you will say "the V6 is faster" and faster=fun. The difference in price between V6 or I4 is probably going to be less than what you will spend on some decent and RELIABLE upgrades, especially if you can install them. And the upgrades are going to net about the same amount of FUN and FAST as buying the V6 over the 4 banger.

Obviously people have different opinions but you have to consider what you really want out of your car. Do what makes you happy.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Put a V8 in mine for $4300. That's what the parts donor cost... Made some money back parting it out. Not much. Maybe $1500.

I think 300hp/310tq is going to be plenty fast for awhile. Could always install a tundra supercharger if I get tired of it...

I know it's not techically done but, I have just 2 wires left on the harness.

now that is reliable performance right there...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Boosting a car isn't reliable?? Maintenance is more?? I'm coming from the diesel world so this gas stuff is all new. If keeping up with maintenance and taking care of the turbo isn't enough to maintain a boosted car for 100k, what is the cause??

Also random, but what are some of you boosted peeps seeing for gas mileage??

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 20 of 36 Posts