Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like the title states I want to dump money into my car to get it around the 350RWHP range. I am not however asking how much money will it cost me or how cheaply can I do it

The problem I have is that I am around 130K in miles on a stock engine and tranny. So what is the likelihood I can boost or even N/A (if I decided I only wanted moderate gains) with a engine pushing high mileage as mine is?

Is the only feasible way of getting that much power out of my IS by doing an engine/tranny swap and slightly modding the new engine? Would it be better to just drop in another GE and boost or go for the GTE (staying auto however)?

Do I have to single turbo the GTE? Or, can I leave the twin since I only want a "moderate" power gain?

Maybe I just need another IS as my project car...though I always wanted to throw a 3s-gte into a Celica (I previously owned a 97)

Any thoughts? :confused:

·
Registered
204 Posts
if you got the funds, it can be done. if your worries about the miles on your car get a GTE bottom end, use your vvti head and go single...

or you could drop the GTE in (complete motor), boost controller, FMIC, 3" exhaust(w/restrictor ring), fuel cut defencer, open air filter and that should put you in the range of 350HP...

hope this helps...

·
Premium Member
11,898 Posts
There has been cars with more miles on them then yours boosted.

Ill get flamed for this but i dont care. If you just want some good decent power that will outrun alot of cars get a supercharger. I miss my supercharger kit that thing was reliable as hell and plenty of fun to drive as a daily driver.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if you got the funds, it can be done. if your worries about the miles on your car get a GTE bottom end, use your vvti head and go single...

or you could drop the GTE in (complete motor), boost controller, FMIC, 3" exhaust(w/restrictor ring), fuel cut defencer, open air filter and that should put you in the range of 350HP...

hope this helps...
The thing is I just recently started reading into boosting my IS, so I still am on a learning curve as well as not 100% mechanically inclined to do the work all by myself...though I know some mechanics I went to school with...

...funds wouldn't be the biggest concern as I have a decent cash wad available to get started...but something rather easy...(why cant it just be drop in the GTE and tranny..keep the twin and be done :suspiciou)

I really dont want to boost my original engine and have it take a crap at 170K miles or so and be &%^$^$&# and have to swap anyway..

Ill get flamed for this but i dont care. If you just want some good decent power that will outrun alot of cars get a supercharger. I miss my supercharger kit that thing was reliable as hell and plenty of fun to drive as a daily driver.
I looked into a S/C kit and even read through all the flames about them (though its literally about 50/50 on like and dislike of them). Costing roughly 5k for a S/C (vortech I assume?) and being bolt on is a plus, but would this route have a better cost-to-ease ratio than just a straight GTE auto swap even if I had to pay for a shop to put it in?

I have a friend (also a mech) who can rebuild engines with his eyes closed, who I am sure can take out my GE/Tranny and drop in a new one with little hiccups in the process...

·
Registered
1,582 Posts

Agreed, a supercharged set up will be enough for a little over 300 hp. Easy to install, maintain and tune. I like my old set up but once you get the boost bug, it is never enough. I over spun my charger twice and now I have no choice but to go turbo.

·
Premium Member
11,898 Posts
I looked into a S/C kit and even read through all the flames about them (though its literally about 50/50 on like and dislike of them). Costing roughly 5k for a S/C (vortech I assume?) and being bolt on is a plus, but would this route have a better cost-to-ease ratio than just a straight GTE auto swap even if I had to pay for a shop to put it in?

I have a friend (also a mech) who can rebuild engines with his eyes closed, who I am sure can take out my GE/Tranny and drop in a new one with little hiccups in the process...
The only issue i have with the GTE swap is those motors really need to gone through before you put them in. You really have no clue anything about that motor before they show up here in the US. I can almost guarantee you that 99% of them the mileage is a lie. I think the highest mileage one ive ever seen for sale was about 70K KM most of them are in the 40's. I just find it amazing that they all are in that mileage range.

At the end of the day if you have the funds and resources to do the GTE swap then do it I think youd be super happy with it.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts

I am going with you on this one. If you only want 300-350 whp. Get a supercharger as it is a hell lot cheaper and can put you into that range. I myself am wanting to achieve the 300-350 whp range which is why I bought the plp vortech supercharger. Good luck with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
The only issue i have with the GTE swap is those motors really need to gone through before you put them in. You really have no clue anything about that motor before they show up here in the US. I can almost guarantee you that 99% of them the mileage is a lie. I think the highest mileage one ive ever seen for sale was about 70K KM most of them are in the 40's. I just find it amazing that they all are in that mileage range.

At the end of the day if you have the funds and resources to do the GTE swap then do it I think youd be super happy with it.
Truth! It's always best to do some maintenance on the engine when you get them, which to could add up. I do not think swapping is a bad idea whatsoever, just the whole mysterious engine kind of ERKS me.

·
Registered
204 Posts
i went with the aristo motor and tranny... n i luv the motor. and its pretty simple to swap it. theres a few aristo swap threads on this forum that explain the process and give every detail as to what parts your gonna need and what you have to do to get the motor in correctly. thats how i did my swap. i finished mine late september i belive and have put close to 9,000 miles on it already.... n shes running like a champ!!!

onlyy thing i would change if i could would be the transmission. i would opt for the r 154 or if you plan to stay in the 350hp range, you can do with the w55. i feel i cant control my power with the auto...

·
Registered
930 Posts
Well right now your goals fall right into what a supercharger will produce on our cars. If you plan to only stay at 300-350 then go with the s/c cuz they are less expensive, more reliable and is a bolt on... but, if you think the boost bug is going to bite you in the ass and you will soon want more power then just do the GTE swap.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I really am leaning towards the swap as high mileage that is continuously climbing worries me..specially with a S/C...:suspiciou

Doing the swap completely with a friend, who wont charge me a dime bc he loves to work on cars, would still be more expensive than a S/C? I know doing the maintenance and getting misc. work done on the engine could add up. But if I am getting the whole swap for around $2500, would I really add 3K in misc. parts and mntc?

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
A basic generic turbo kit would easily make that power goal and be super reliable. No swap, bottom end, or even opening the motor necessary.

It's an almost trivial goal that I can put together for less than $3000 in hardware with proper engine management. Not including labor of course. I should really open a shop :)

It's never been about the hardware with these cars. It's getting a proper tune that's important.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A basic generic turbo kit would easily make that power goal and be super reliable. No swap, bottom end, or even opening the motor necessary.

It's an almost trivial goal that I can put together for less than $3000 in hardware with proper engine management. Not including labor of course. I should really open a shop :)

It's never been about the hardware with these cars. It's getting a proper tune that's important.

Well if you were to walk me through this process step by step then I wouldn't have to pay you labor now would I...:cool:

Or you could fly out to Louisiana....work your magic on my car...and fly back to Cali...I'll pay for the tickets...would that be good enough or labor pay?

Think you could PM on where exactly to start? Nothing has to be in great detail, as I don't mind reading up and figuring everything out on my own, but a beginners turbo list (to your liking) would be helpful.

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
Well if you were to walk me through this process step by step then I wouldn't have to pay you labor now would I...:cool:

Or you could fly out to Louisiana....work your magic on my car...and fly back to Cali...I'll pay for the tickets...would that be good enough or labor pay?

Think you could PM on where exactly to start? Nothing has to be in great detail, as I don't mind reading up and figuring everything out on my own, but a beginners turbo list (to your liking) would be helpful.
It's been documented enough times on the boards so I'd encourage you the search.

The caveat with this direction is that it almost should never be taken on by a beginner with this platform as it's a recipe for lots of downtime, headache, and frustration. The devils in the details. And it's proved itself time and time again on the boards.

The only way to do it right is to get a full on kit that's been sorted and you have the direct support of the tuner. Do it once, do it right, and enjoy the car. You're not enjoying the car and the money you've spent on it if problems keep coming up.

The only way I'd do this for someone is if they drop the car off and let me fully sort, install, and tune the car. I've tried to help many other guys with tuning after the fact and it's almost a waste of time as little wrong details with the original install always come up before we can finally get to the real tuning.

Reactions: BlackSportD

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I definitely plan on reading as much as possible and I have seen all the documentation so I know somewhere somebody has ran into something I will be looking for.

I really would love to drive out to Cali and go to work on my car (though I doubt I could stay around and watch every little thing you do, as I don't think you would be able to do it in a weeks time, I don't know your work/life schedule)

I will consult with my friend and see if he is up to the task of an engine swap/or going boost on my stock engine to get me where I want to be. I just need something to hold me over until I make my IS my "project" car and can really build it the way I want and not use it as my work car/mainly daily driver.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i would opt towards piecing your own turbo kit; its really not difficult, the expensive part is tuning. work on your car yourself and you will learn a lot and also you wont have to pay for labor as well.

supercharger is ok but IMHO its best for 8 cyl and up. you got to make power to be able to produce enough of it with supercharger, they are great on v8 setups but 6 cyl i would much rather prefer the turbo plus you can bump up the boost etc.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The thing about boosting right now is, eventually, if everything works out, my IS will be my project car to do some major boosting too. I originally planned on rebuilding the engine or swapping sometime after 150k miles (next year sometime) and I would have over 10k to play with to get the car going. I don't know if i mentioned those details earlier ..my bad lol

So i think in the end a GTE auto swap would be for me (I dont want to do a auto/manny conversion - How much power could I handle on a good auto tranny though?) Guess from there I could decide to go single turbo or leave the twins and do my modding. I just wanted to get some help/suggestions on my thoughts so I could start acquiring parts I would need for when I swap and just need to drop in and build the motor up when I am finally ready.

make anymore sense guys?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts

Hell if u can piece a decent kit for around what u said hit me up lol, srry to thread jack but what would u guys recommend for someone going for the same power goals but wants a turbos power curve? if s/c at 300whp is fun than with the torque a turbo gives it should be 2x better. At least thats what i think, is the srt kit really a must for a goal of 300whp with room for 350? just wondering, srry again to jump on the thread =/

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thread jacker...thats a big no no right there...hahaha

atleast you kept it on the same topic...but its no big deal...everybody has questions.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Turbo! I had the same concerns before I installed my kit back then. I think my car only had 25k before I boosted her as my first backyard turbo project car. Much thanks to a couple of "old school" guys on here for all the help. Let me know if you need some help.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.