Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys. I know this is a Lexus forum, but being a previous ISF owner, I thought I could come here to bounce off some thoughts. I am considering buying a 2010 Subaru WRX STI. (My first Subaru) But I am just not 100% sure if it is the best car for me. Also, after reading some of the long term test, the STI seems to take a bit of a beating.

I am basically looking for a fun car, that has a MANUAL tranny. Can fit my young kids (6 and 4) in the back seat once in a while. 4 wheel drive is nice, but not a must. I could do rear wheel drive. Might do a 1 or 2 track days a year. Just wondering if there are any other cars to consider before pulling the trigger on a STI.

Other options?
335xi? (A bit overpriced compared to the value)
EVO X (Not really crazy about the looks)
Golf GTI (Front wheel, and not that strong)
G37x (Too many of them)
Audi A4/S4/S5 (A bit pricey and questionable reliabilty)
Merc and Lexus (No manual)

What other cars are out there that are/can be as fun as a STI? I am so in love with the White/Gold combo. But just don't know if the car is worth the $45k Canadian price tag? In that price range, (plus or minus $5k), what else is available?

Altough I can afford the above listed cars, the pricey ones might not be the best use of my money.

I sold my Lexus ISF last year, and although I loved the power and luxury, I missed the manual tranny.

Any advice?

·
Registered
875 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
go with the option that you already have in your mind.
I would've said the G37 but you stated that there are too many of them and I agree.
So, stick with the WRX/Sti.
BTW what happened to the IS-F? I would've kept that until it died on me.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't really care for the GM cars.

And sold the F for personal reasons, and now I am regretting it. Bad advice.

So now, I am back on the hunt...and considering all my options.

·
Premium Member
11,575 Posts
^ The G8 is actually a pretty damn nice car.

From your list I'd go with the 335 but in RWD form (but that's just my preference)

Since this would be your family hauler I think the EVO should leave the list.

·
Registered
572 Posts
The Pontiac G8, is basically a Holden Commodore here in Aus. We use them as Taxis and Police cars. They have poor build quality and are reffered to as "Boats" lol. They have a great motor (LS*) and strong box, but handling is not great, well compared to an Sti or IS-F (Ive never driven an IS-F, but even a stock IS250 handles better). In Aus, they have very bad resale, but that could be different in the US.

·
Registered
492 Posts
im not crazy about the new sti hatchback. If you're going for an sti i say get the 04 or 05 versions. If for an evo... get an evo 9.

audi's are badass but they aren't very reliable unless you have deep pockets to continually fix them =]

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Other options?
G37x (Too many of them)

Sounds like you have no idea what you want, and no intentions of buying anything in the near future.

Do some research, Those cars are all completely different

ISF vs. GTI WTF are you desperate to find a new car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys. I know this is a Lexus forum, but being a previous ISF owner, I thought I could come here to bounce off some thoughts. I am considering buying a 2010 Subaru WRX STI. (My first Subaru) But I am just not 100% sure if it is the best car for me. Also, after reading some of the long term test, the STI seems to take a bit of a beating.

I am basically looking for a fun car, that has a MANUAL tranny. Can fit my young kids (6 and 4) in the back seat once in a while. 4 wheel drive is nice, but not a must. I could do rear wheel drive. Might do a 1 or 2 track days a year. Just wondering if there are any other cars to consider before pulling the trigger on a STI.

Other options?
G37x (Too many of them)

What other cars are out there that are/can be as fun as a STI? I am so in love with the White/Gold combo. But just don't know if the car is worth the $45k Canadian price tag? In that price range, (plus or minus $5k), what else is available?

Altough I can afford the above listed cars, the pricey ones might not be the best use of my money.

I sold my Lexus ISF last year, and although I loved the power and luxury, I missed the manual tranny.

Any advice?
Here's my 2cents...The STi is bullet proof when it comes to reliability. I have an '06 STi and it now has 84560 miles...I've replaced the battery, the power steering hose and a right-rear wheel bearing. All for the grand total of $250! Not many cars you can drive that all those miles and have almost zero issues.

My girlfriend(7 yrs together) just picked up the IS250 yesterday. A 2007 IS250 AWD with 17000miles for 22900.

My STi:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sounds like you have no idea what you want, and no intentions of buying anything in the near future.

Do some research, Those cars are all completely different

ISF vs. GTI WTF are you desperate to find a new car.
Thank you for your insight!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think I am leaning towards an M3....looking for a good deal on one now....

Thanks all for your thoughts

·
Premium Member
11,575 Posts
I think I am leaning towards an M3....looking for a good deal on one now....

Thanks all for your thoughts
I like where your head's at.

·
Premium Member
11,575 Posts
Here's my 2cents...The STi is bullet proof when it comes to reliability. I have an '06 STi and it now has 84560 miles...I've replaced the battery, the power steering hose and a right-rear wheel bearing. All for the grand total of $250! Not many cars you can drive that all those miles and have almost zero issues.

My girlfriend(7 yrs together) just picked up the IS250 yesterday. A 2007 IS250 AWD with 17000miles for 22900.

My STi:

Welcome to the forums, clean looking STi.

That said, my cousin's Saabaru (9 2X with the WRX motor) just threw a rod last week with 60K on the clock :lol:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.