Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay - so I bought some Alphawerks headers + y-pipe from a dude with a no reserve auction on e-bay. It was $260 shipped - I was stoked. I got the headers and well . . . errm . . . the box was completely trashed and the dude had just wrapped them in a little bit of bubble wrap and they were flopping all around. There were two large holes in the box - but amazingly none of the free floating gaskets or O2 sim fell out. So whatever . . . looks like I'm good to go.

So my friend comes over today - we jack the car up - start going to down on disconnecting the y-pipe and we loosen the header nuts and he looks at my new alphawerks headers - then looks under the hood - then back at my new headers.

Him: "Uh dude? Why do these new headers have 4 o2 sensor hooks up and the stockers only have 3?"

Me: "Excuse me?"

He shows me the new alpha headers and well . . . I had missed this but someone had welded an extra o2 sensor hole in them (we think maybe for a wideband sensor?). At any rate - I was quite pissed since I dont' have an extra O2 sensor laying around to throw in there. The ebayer mentioned nothing about this in his ad.

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about . . . WTF!?!?
http://tinyurl.com/8x56b

Also - some tips:
1. Go get a $8 O2 sensor socket at Autozone before starting - there is no way those things are coming out with a regular spanner type wrench - you need a socket. This socket has a slit down the side for the wire to come out - well worth the money

2. PB blaster didn't do dick for me - breaker bars are the way to go. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh and if anyone has any ideas what I should do with these headers I'd love to hear it. I went to every auto store in town looking for something I could plug the hole with but found nothing suitable . . . I wrote to the guy demanding my money back - we'll see how that goes . . .

Does anyone need an Alphawerks header pre-drilled for a wideband O2 sensor? :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,661 Posts
go to any meinike or muffler shop, they can weld a cap on it.. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,591 Posts
I would try a local hardware store for a bolt that fits in there, just make sure u use some anti-sieze so that you can get it back out if you need to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,211 Posts
My friend kind of had a similiar problem on his ford ranger, it had an extra plug in it so a local muffler shop chopped it and welded it for 30 bucks. Problem solved, but one problem was still there, its a ford ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,475 Posts
Split2nd said:
I would try a local hardware store for a bolt that fits in there, just make sure u use some anti-sieze so that you can get it back out if you need to.
^^ What he said. Use a bolt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well another problme with these headers is that they seemed a little bent. I don't have a picture handy. . . actually I do:
http://tinyurl.com/bkrgk

Check that out - you can see from that pic that they don't look like they would go on the engine block flush . . . now if I put the headers to where the exhaust tubes are facing the ground and push on them I can make them line up and be flush - and I think they may eventually straighten up if/when I torqued them on but having them a little bent combined with the extra hole makes me very cautious . . .

What do you guys think of this pic? Is fitment going to be an issue or will they torque on to the engine and straighten up okay? I may call Meineke - thanks for the idea!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,597 Posts
0v3rki77 said:
Well another problme with these headers is that they seemed a little bent. I don't have a picture handy. . . actually I do:
http://tinyurl.com/bkrgk

Check that out - you can see from that pic that they don't look like they would go on the engine block flush . . . now if I put the headers to where the exhaust tubes are facing the ground and push on them I can make them line up and be flush - and I think they may eventually straighten up if/when I torqued them on but having them a little bent combined with the extra hole makes me very cautious . . .

What do you guys think of this pic? Is fitment going to be an issue or will they torque on to the engine and straighten up okay? I may call Meineke - thanks for the idea!
ohh man. those are some focked up headers. they were probably defected and thats why it was on ebay. email the guy, if he deosnt reply file a claim. dont waste your time with it. goodluck man
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,954 Posts
K3RRY said:
ohh man. those are some focked up headers. they were probably defected and thats why it was on ebay. email the guy, if he deosnt reply file a claim. dont waste your time with it. goodluck man

Yeah I would say the same thing, but if you can get a welder, get the hole patched for 30 bucks I would do it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
My friend bought these same ones. We had same problem as you with extra hole. Cheap way to fix it is either weld the whole shut or just find a spark plug that fit and use that to plug it. We ened up at walmart late at night with headers in a shopping cart just to finish this. Spark plug was a good fit and no problems since.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well guys - I just got back from Meineke . . . they took pity on my dumb ass and gave me not one but two plugs for the holes for free. One is a bolt type of plug that takes a socket / wrench to screw in tightly and the other one is a 'flush mount' type of deal where you use an alan wrench. I only needed one but he gave me one of each . . . they screw right in and fit perfectly and seem to be the right depth too. Now I feel sort of stupid for having made such a big deal about this. The guy at Meineke was all shocked at how many damn O2 sensors our cars have though . . .

Anyhoo - I gotta go to Seattle tomorrow and I'll be gone a week so the header project will have to get done next Sunday when I get back. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,661 Posts
you're welcome for taking my advice from the get go!

good job! :approve:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah I'm still a bit nervous about the fact that they don't appear to be flush with each other (the 2 sets of pipes) - but I'll see if they torque down when I go to screw them on and fit good after that - I think they may have gotten bent in shipping . . .

I haven't left him feedback yet. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
i had to weld another o2 sensor hole on my header b/c the one that it came with was too close to the firewall and the o2 sensor didnt fit. this could be the reason for the other hole.
 

·
Not Officially Back
Joined
·
12,742 Posts
Guys-

This is perfectly normal.

In my experience... Alphawerks headers are ALWAYS packaged as you described... and the ones you got were from a batch which were "fixed" (originally the o2 bung was welded in the wrong place, where the sensor could not be installed because it would hit the firewall. The added another correct bung... only difference is they usually supply the plug for you.)

The plug is not expensive, easy to install, and doesn't cause any noticble performance difference.

The "bent" thing you talked about is probably also normal... when you get them on the studs on the block and tighten them doen... it'll be just fine. The headers are a bit flexible.

You didn't get ripped off... you just bought a cheap set of alphawerks headers.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,597 Posts
dasgalloway said:
Guys-

This is perfectly normal.

In my experience... Alphawerks headers are ALWAYS packaged as you described... and the ones you got were from a batch which were "fixed" (originally the o2 bung was welded in the wrong place, where the sensor could not be installed because it would hit the firewall. The added another correct bung... only difference is they usually supply the plug for you.)

The plug is not expensive, easy to install, and doesn't cause any noticble performance difference.

The "bent" thing you talked about is probably also normal... when you get them on the studs on the block and tighten them doen... it'll be just fine. The headers are a bit flexible.

You didn't get ripped off... you just bought a cheap set of alphawerks headers.
ahh yes of course. das always the one clearing everything up :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,591 Posts
dasgalloway said:
Guys-

This is perfectly normal.

In my experience... Alphawerks headers are ALWAYS packaged as you described... and the ones you got were from a batch which were "fixed" (originally the o2 bung was welded in the wrong place, where the sensor could not be installed because it would hit the firewall. The added another correct bung... only difference is they usually supply the plug for you.)

The plug is not expensive, easy to install, and doesn't cause any noticble performance difference.

The "bent" thing you talked about is probably also normal... when you get them on the studs on the block and tighten them doen... it'll be just fine. The headers are a bit flexible.

You didn't get ripped off... you just bought a cheap set of alphawerks headers.
Once again, a logical answer from DAS MAN.
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Top