Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm driving home tonight and I was pondering TEG's TRAC default off modification and was just thinking that what I really want is that ECT POWER light to be off - but I don't want to lose the benefit of it, whatever it is...which got me to thinking about someone's post that they think if you're in Manual mode, that the ECT POWER switch has now effect - which I think might be true...

ANYWAY, I'm driving along and I start pressing the buttons. I'm crusing at around 95 or so and I turn off ECT POWER and nothing happens (wasn't expecting anything) and turn it on and turn it off, la di da. Then I press the SNOW button and I feel kinda like an extra load or something on the car. Wierd. What was that? Ok, SNOW off, SNOW on, hey, there it is again. What is that?!?!? It feel likes actually like the parking brake was engaged slightly, I don't know... Any ideas?

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata

[This message has been edited by webmaster (edited October 23, 2000).]

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
hmmmmmm... I know that snow mode starts in the higher gear from a standing start... Possibly it disables the overdrive function when at speed...
Eric...

[This message has been edited by webmaster (edited October 23, 2000).]

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by EricK:
hmmmmmm... I know that snow mode starts in the higher gear from a standing start... Possibly is disables the overdrive function when at speed...
Eric...
I only lost maybe one MPH or two, if that, so it wasn't switching gears. It just felt heavier...

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Tony then that's really weird... I haven't a clue...If it wasn't the gearing or the brakes then who knows.. Was it definitely noticeable?

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tony then that's really weird... I haven't a clue...If it wasn't the gearing or the brakes then who knows.. Was it definitely noticeable?
It was slight. But it was certainly noticeable. I tried it several times. Noticeable and repeatable.

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Then it probably does that for a reason.. It's amazing that no one else has ever brought this up here....
Eric.....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Then it probably does that for a reason.. It's amazing that no one else has ever brought this up here....
Eric.....

Well how many people are cruising at 95 and pressing buttons not knowing what the effect will be?

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by lhn5:
Well how many people are cruising at 95 and pressing buttons not knowing what the effect will be?
Yup, that's me, the crazy one. I even race my IS at the track.

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata

·
Registered
162 Posts
Maybe it increases the sensivity of TRAC???

Is that possible? If so, the lost performance could be from some kinda mega power drain from a hyper-sensitive TRAC.

Or maybe just that TRAC is overcomopensating for the slightest detectable slip?

Anyway, that's the only thing I could come up with, while not having one yet!

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Aha! I found out. Secret source told me...

SNOW mode DOES NOT work by starting the car out in 2nd gear instead of first. It works by slowing the opening of the throttle plate to keep the wheels from spinning. Remeber the IS has a drive-by-wire throttle? When I pressed SNOW at speed, I was feeling the throttle cut back by the enabling of the throttle control motor.

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I don't think the ECT/PWR mode is going to make much difference at 95mph+ because you are probably in 5th gear regardless.

I have found at slower speeds (say 65), PWR mode encourages the use of 4th gear rather than 5th gear.

===========================================

Snow mode may also retard the timing to reduce engine output... But that is just a guess.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have noticed this as well. I believe the Snow mode causes the throttle to be less sensitive to input, thus making it easier to prevent the wheels from spinning in the snow.

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by TEG:
I don't think the ECT/PWR mode is going to make much difference at 95mph+ because you are probably in 5th gear regardless.
I don't think so either, I believe like most of us do that it just alters shift points or shift logic - and may not do anything when in M...

Originally posted by TEG:
Snow mode may also retard the timing to reduce engine output... But that is just a guess.
I don't think SNOW controls anything that TRAC doesn't. I think altering the throttle plate velocity is enough... But now I'm just guessing too.

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata

1 - 14 of 14 Posts