Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my problem.. everytime i floor it.. it usually takes 3-5 seconds before the engine knows i floored it. What is the problem there? is there something wrong with my car and need to take it back to the Lexus Dealer? Please help me

·
Registered
129 Posts
The problem sounds very familiar... I guess it was a not-so-good review of the IS by someone here who said the same thing. Take it back to the dealership is the logical choice I would imagine. If you have to ask about what you believe to be a mechnical failure (which this is), then consult the dealership and let us know to.

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
did you break it in yet? how many miles you have? did this happen onthe test car? i haven't floored it on my IS yet (still breaking her in) but it responds pretty damn fast and i get to 90 in a blink of an eye, i find myself going from a complete stop 80 without realizing it- this car is too smooth.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Did you have it on PWR??? On regular mode, that may hinder performance (slower response time, not as willing to downshift, etc.)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Speaking from a limited test drive experience, the smoothness of the engine might give a false impression that it is not responding to pedal-flooring. I do admit that it doesn't have the snappiness many other sports cars do.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Yeah, the smoothness give you a feeling that you are not going anywhere. When I let my brother drive and I sat in the passenger sit, I was thinking why is he going so slow (he usually doesn't)? But when I looked at the speedometer and listen to the engine carefully (and you do have to because it is so quiet), the car was actually accelerating pretty well. Also, I do notice that the car does not downshift right away if you are not in the power mode (but still better than my dad's GS300 and RX 300). The best thing to do is when you feel like passing someone, put it into the Manual mode and downshift, then you will get some really nice passing power (even under 4000 rpm). I just did it yesterday, it was fun.

Daniel

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This also happened to my friends test drive of the IS300. I told him to check out the flooring part for me. He said it happened to him too.. he had to wait 3-5 seconds before the engine responded... Very frustrating for him

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats not what i really expected from a Lexus Car Daniel.. I want to floor it without having to switch to manual and downshifting it..

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Actually, you should expect that already if you have driven other Lexus. I sometimes get frustrated driving my dad's GS because it doesn't downshift at all unless you really hit the gas pedal hard and all the way to the bottom. Samething with the RX300. The IS is much better, I only have to go 1/4 of the way and be kind of fast on the pedal to force it to downshift. I suggest using the manual mode because you can control when to downshift like you are in a stick, so the acceleration timing will be what you expect. Remember, no computer can read your thought, no even the best Auto in the world.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have had this problem also. I went hard into the throttle and it felt like the car was going to stall. I had the same three second effect. Very discomforting when you need the power. Someone had mentioned something about the limited slip causing this? I have noticed a much better response when you get into the throttle slowly. You get the power you need without the delay. Will have to ask about this at 30 day checkup.
Chris

·
Registered
138 Posts
The condition your talking about is very normal. The delay is usually 1-2 seconds. This is due to the drive-by-wire system. The computer just can't respond fast enough. The same condition is evident in the GS300/400. There is no fix, just a normal condition.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I too noticed this on my wife's car and the
test car we drove. And like several people here has said the "small" delay seems more
like a "Transmission Thing" to me. (Normal)
Also like someone above said the remedy to
this is to "Quickly Ease" into the trottle.
I've tried "both" ways and believe me once
you get used to the "Quick Squeeze" of the
trottle vs the "Flooring" the trottle theres
little to "No" difference in the outcome...
ie, 0 to 60....... or Squeezing the trottle
to hit "Passing Gear".... The car "Still" has
plenty of POWER!!

So IS300, try that method. I've driven "Alot" of cars. This car isn't the first one that I've come across that has this
"personality". And Im pretty sure its the transmission thats causing the "small" delay
in downshifting to lower gear..... when you
"Floor" the trottle.
I know everyone's driving styles are different but "flooring" this car is really
unnecessary IMO. Or let me say "Flooring" the
car ALL AT ONCE is unnecessary. The method of
Squeezing the trottle quickly will ultimately
result in "Flooring The Pedal" if you don't let up........ Try it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I noticed this as well. Also, when I'm pushing it a little (4000RPM) the 2-3 shift seems very rough (almost like a clunk). I am going to talk to my dealer about it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Even though it isint 3 seconds... and now its only 1-2 seconds.. it is still very frustrating.. i should of waited for the IS300 '02 and got the manual

·
Registered
171 Posts
I agree with smra. When you floor it, the electronic tranny is trying to find the right gear, thus the delay. Immediate response can only be done with a manual. When you ease into the throttle, the automatic response is smooth. This "bog" when I floor it is in all the automatics I've driven.

·
Registered
129 Posts
my automatic benz never gives me this problem, but I do see it in the IS I've been test driving (can't wait till mine gets here so I bug the dealership with test drives). My benz seems to be able to read my mind, there is no delay. That's probably why every magazine loves the transmission on Benz's. Another thing is personality of the car, learn to work with it, not against it.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Just like others said, it is the personality of the car. I am still trying to figure out the way the transmission like to behave, but I have notice sometime that it will downshift right away when I want it to. Now I just have to figure out what this pattern is.
BTW, I know the MB and BMW Auto downshift at higher rpm than the Lexus, but I also notice that the shifting is much rougher for the Germans. I guess you can't have both.

Daniel

·
Registered
611 Posts
This year 2000 thread relates to me now. Disclaimer, before the things listed below, I didn't have this problem (well not as much as I do now).

I noticed a power loss on my 2001 IS300.
The guy that said smooth use of the gas pedal results in faster acceleration vs slamming on the throttle is correct.

But this delay seems much worse now. Also, when the car finally kicks it up a notch while slamming on the gas, the power still seems limited in EACH gear, definitely more so than before I did the things below.

I've had this car for like 7 years and never really had this problem THIS badly. After doing the things below like 2 months ago, it got worse.

Things I've done recently:

changed VVTI pulley due to leak, + new timing belt + new cam seals
changed battery
did a tranny fluid exchange (more fluid used than just a drain and fill procedure)
changed power steering fluid
rear differential drain and fill
oil change with "synthetic blend". previously used full synthetic Castrol/Mobil 1.
changed radiator + cap + thermostat + tubes + coolant

kind of in that order too.

I first noticed power loss after I did all the fluid exchanges and oil change.
I'm thinking it's the synthetic blend that they used. They said it's fine to use on this car and that's what comes stock anyway. I know it's better to use full synthetic on an older car. So this is my FIRST guess.

radiator stuff was changed after I noticed this power loss so it's not that.

Now to describe the power loss:
The car revs smooth, nothing jerky or abnormal. But it seems to have lost its torque or something. Doesn't pull as well, and the rev needle climbs up slower under same gas pedal pressure. And after the car finally realizes I'm smashing the gas pedal, it STILL doesn't go as fast in each gear as before...

other guesses are:
new battery installed, so the ECU was reset?? How long does it take for the car to know my driving habits?
old spark plugs, I think it's been at least 1-2 yrs.
or, old/dirty MAF sensor
or, something wrong with throttle body?

Reactions: willmkent
1 - 20 of 25 Posts