Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remember when BMW and Mercedes had their 4 liter V8's... BMW had their 4 liter V8 in its 740i/iL between 1993-1996 and 540i from 1994-1996... Mercedes had their 4 liter V8 in their 400SE 1992 and their 400E.... However engine displacement grew in both the Mercedes and BMW... The BMW V8 grew to 4.4 liters from 1997-present and the Mercedes grew to 4.2 liters and now presently 4.3 liters..... Well.... Their smaller sedans also grew in displacement as well... BMW from their 2.8 liter I-6 to 3.0 liter I-6 and Mercedes with their C280 to C320...... Lexus's GS400 made its debut in 1998 with a 4.0 liter V8 and grew in displacement for the 2001 model year by 300cc's to a 4.3 liter V8 in their GS430 (just as the BMW and Mercedes did)... The IS300 is brand new for the 2001 model year and came with a 3.0 liter V6... I'm willing to bet that in a couple years time that engine as well will grow in displacement..... Only time will tell
Eric...

[This message has been edited by EricK (edited December 15, 2000).]

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Well, the Toyota inline 6 has certainly evolved and gained power over the years.

They moved from 2.8l to 3.0l, and switched to variable valve timing.

They could come up with "Double VVT-i" or even do the Yamaha style "VVTL-i" (with variable lift) to get a fair amount more power out of this engine even if they don't increase the displacement.

·
Registered
511 Posts
whats the next Supra coming with as a base powerplant? My guess is that if it got a new I6 then Lexus may get it the following year. I am still tingly over that older post of a "IS 405" (sigh) "starlight star bright first star i see tonight..... I wish... well you can fill in the rest"

·
Registered
201 Posts
Originally posted by EricK:
Remember when BMW and Mercedes had their 4 liter V8's... BMW had their 4 liter V8 in its 740i/iL between 1993-1996 and 540i from 1994-1996... Mercedes had their 4 liter V8 in their 400SE 1992 and their 400E.... However engine displacement grew in both the Mercedes and BMW... The BMW V8 grew to 4.4 liters from 1997-present and the Mercedes grew to 4.2 liters and now presently 4.3 liters..... Well.... Their smaller sedans also grew in displacement as well... BMW from their 2.8 liter I-6 to 3.0 liter I-6 and Mercedes with their C280 to C320...... Lexus's GS400 made its debut in 1998 with a 4.0 liter V8 and grew in displacement for the 2001 model year by 300cc's to a 4.3 liter V8 in their GS430 (just as the BMW and Mercedes did)... The IS300 is brand new for the 2001 model year and came with a 3.0 liter V6... I'm willing to bet that in a couple years time that engine as well will grow in displacement..... Only time will tell
Eric...

[This message has been edited by EricK (edited December 15, 2000).]
I agree here. I've said it before, I'd like to see Toyota increase it's displacement for the I6 to something like 3.2L rather than spending time and money on developing a suprecharger. Super/turbo chargers are nice, but there's still no substitutions for cubic inches (or centimetres ^_^) when it comes to all around drivabilities.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Toyota already has double VVT-i on the Altezza if I'm not mistaken. That could certainly increase the power output. I think that what Toyota is doing is just maximizing their uses of an engine. I mean look at their 3.0L V6...they use that in a bunch of their cars. Right now the 3.0L I6 exists in a bunch too. I don't think Toyota is gonna spend R&D on a new engine unless it goes into a bunch of other cars too. JMHO.

------------------
By making this post I am not claiming to be an expert of any sort on the topic and should not be taken as such. It's just my opinion and worth what you paid for it.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I would hope for an M competitor with a
2jz-gte (Supra Turbo) engine in it. After all we already have a 2jz-ge...just add a "t" to it!

------------------
98 Accord EX V6 coupe
AEM Intake, Comptech Headers, Random Tech high-flow cat, GReddy dual MX exhaust, BLTI Carbon Fiber Ignition cables, eibach springs, Axis wheels with Nittos, Wings West Spoiler.
15.1 @ 92 mph
2001 Lexus IS300 (Solar Yellow)
Coming soon: 12 second timeslips with the IS (my new all out drag car!)

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
there is no replacement for displacement =)

th supra guys might think different but when it comes down to it, more displacement will produce more power, surey ou can turbo a small engine, but you can also turbo a larger engine =)

·
Registered
625 Posts
Originally posted by Accord-R:
I would hope for an M competitor with a
2jz-gte (Supra Turbo) engine in it. After all we already have a 2jz-ge...just add a "t" to it!

That would be something! I never really thought about "what if" Toyota really decided to seriously compete with the new M3. Both weight close too 3300lbs. 320hp and 315lb-ft(2JZ-GTE) vs. 330hp and 270lb-ft(E46). The US version 2JZ was also seriously under rated...Ive seen several dyno sheets of Supras putting out 300+rwhp bone stock, which equates to over 320hp at the crank. With the IS300 weighting less then the Supra, it would put its 0-60 into the mid 4 sec range..and possibly its 1/4mile in the high 12s! This would destroy the new M3. Damn it Lexus really should grow some balls and show these guys up. I dont see this as a problem for these guys, even the top of the line Aristo(GS300)in Japan only comes with the 2JZ-GTE. This would be one serious M3-Supra-Vette eatin motherf---er!!!

------------------
KP
94 6 speed
BPU

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Of course...but it'll take at least 3 to 5 years before they do that. I hope the new, higher displacement engine is an aluminum block with double VVT-i. That should show the Germans

black/ivory
17"

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
there will not be, i am sorry to say but you all are wrong. have you ever seen the 2jz motors cylinder walls they are quite thin, the only real room for a displacement increase is in the stroke, and the most anyone has been able to squeeze, as in all you could possibly get for a race motor is the 3.3 liter stroker kit. toyota is not going to stretch the bore and stroke to the limits like the race motor kit does, so i bet there will never be a 3.3 liter IS.

------------------
"the gene pool could
use some chlorine!"
"http://www.shitonhonda.com"-Funny Site!

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by IS300GTE:
there will not be, i am sorry to say but you all are wrong. have you ever seen the 2jz motors cylinder walls they are quite thin, the only real room for a displacement increase is in the stroke, and the most anyone has been able to squeeze, as in all you could possibly get for a race motor is the 3.3 liter stroker kit. toyota is not going to stretch the bore and stroke to the limits like the race motor kit does, so i bet there will never be a 3.3 liter IS.

You never know what holds the fate of the current 3.0 I-6... Interesting to see what will happen in the future...
Eric....

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by deepcover:
Long ago I posted that I wondered when there would be an IS 330, and everyone laughed at me.
awwwwwwwwwwwww...Let's have a group hug......

Eric....

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
The thing is, there's an engine displacement tax in Japan... (probably a reason why Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi, & Subaru went with turbos to get MaD HoRSePoWErZ while Honda went with VTEC).

So I doubt that Toyota will use a >3.0L I6 to power their bread-and-butter cars. Instead, I think Toyota might try upping specific output at the expense of torque (maybe Dual VVT-i for larger engines, VVTL-i for smaller engines).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts