Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am thinking of getting a new car. i am in a dilemma about getting a is300, impreza STI, or mazda rx-8 GUYS PLEASE HELP me out. i am in a real dilemma. thank u guys.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
well what do you want to drive?

a turbo car?
na car?
na car and then turbo it?

do you want luxury?
what kind of money are you looking to spend?
do you want a manual/auto?
what/how do you drive your car?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i am looking to drive a turbo charged car. i currently hav e a nissan 300zx. i dont mind putting in a turbo so. i just was thinking that the STI is the fastest stock but if i put a turbo in the rx-8 or IS what do i get more for the money. also if i buy the sti i dun wanna replace th turbo. i am also looking to buy a stick and i willing to spend at most $35g's so i just realy don't know what to get.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
rx8 - too small, looks wierd from certain angles
sti - fast but not too good looking
is300 - needs more power, body style is dated already
g35 coupe - :p

If I were in the market for a new car the G35 would be at the top of my list, styling is so smooth and shares platform with 350Z can even get the brembos from the factory. IMO this is the car that other manufactures will need to match in the next couple of years.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The RX8 looks great, but after hearing about its problems, I wouldn't take one if it was given to me. First they lied about the horsepower. You would have thought that mazda would have learned a lesson from when they lied about the horsepower on the miata! They didn't, now just like the miata they are doing buy backs of the RX8. The new claim is 238 HP for the rotary, down from 250, but according to owners who have dynoed their cars the real numbers are likely even lower 220-225 HP. Then there is the abysmal gas milage, many owners are reporting 16 MPG and some are as low as 10 MPG, no owners are reporting anything close to the original MPG number promised by mazda. Then there are a whole host of typical 1st model year problems. One of my rules is never buy the first model year, I am happy to let others be guinea pigs and wait until they've finished correcting all the problems and then buy it.

Check out some of the mazda forums for some real scary horror stories about the RX8 if you have the stomach for it, and then check out how their reliability & quality ratings stack up against the good companies like Lexus.

·
Registered
375 Posts
DHCrocks said:

If I were in the market for a new car the G35 would be at the top of my list, styling is so smooth and shares platform with 350Z can even get the brembos from the factory. IMO this is the car that other manufactures will need to match in the next couple of years.
agreed. If I had the opportunity to buy the IS again I would probably get the g35 (Although I've grown to like the cadillac cts)

·
Registered
170 Posts
is300insf said:
DHCrocks said:

agreed. If I had the opportunity to buy the IS again I would probably get the g35 (Although I've grown to like the cadillac cts)
G35
i wouldn't even consider STI, nothing else beside the speed.

·
Registered
937 Posts
DHCrocks said:

I would've gone for the G35 until I saw the poor performance of its bumpers in a crash test. :chill:

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
c2kdb said:
is300insf said:
DHCrocks said:

G35
i wouldn't even consider STI, nothing else beside the speed.
Yup. G35 coupe buddy, they do have supercharger kits for those too if you want it a little faster. You get speed, luxury, and looks. Great combo!

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
A freind of mine at school here just got an STI. The car is amazingly fast and nimble. The ride is unforgiving and it doesn't come with a radio stock. Also, the tires last around 6,000 miles depending on driving patterns and the brakes are so big you need to get extra large winter rims or risk ruining the stock ones, so if that is a concern, it is high maint. To be honest, when i was in the market this summer it was between the is300, evo8 and g35. I really wanted the g35, but it is a step more costly (especially for the 6-speed, it comes with the 18" rim package and some other must-have options that cost more). On top of that Infiniti is going after a new style interior that looks kinda futuristic or something. The evolution was also a cool and fast fun car, but for $32,000 bucks i wanted something more than an advanced sized go-kart. The ride was soo harsh and the road noise so annoying and violent that it just wasn;t for me. The rx-8 from what i've read lacks torque, something I think a sport car should have. But ultimatly, drive them all and see what you think, they are all great cars but in different classes and a test-drive may be what you need to decide.

·
Registered
248 Posts
i got the IS for its potential, its tunability, its weight and its looks, i mean come on, what motor is going to take more abuse than a 2JZ?!?!?! personaly i would never want a rotary, its pretty much like a 2-stroke motor, and the 350Z is not unique, they use the same motor in almost every car exept sentra, and countless problems with the tranny from reading the forums. The STI is a nice car but i dont want a car with a boxer motor, just to strange, i mean if the postons are horizontal then dosent that mean when the car is cranked or not that the oil is mostly to one side? G35 would be the pick for me exept for its weight but every time i see one on the road i always am like WOW.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for ur help guys but one of my friends has just bought a new g35 coupe and i dont wanna be ab biter and maybe ill get it but it does sound really tempting. i mite just wait for the new 2005 supra or the new 2005 v6 is300

1 - 14 of 14 Posts