Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
depends on what kind of look youre going for and how much (width) tire you want.

for a S13 Drifter like yourself i'd suggest a 18x8.5 +25 and 18x9.5 +25. but thats if youre into pulling, modifying fenders and stretching tires. otherwise stay closer to a 18x8.5+45 in the front and 18x9.5 +49 in the rear

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Uggg.

My records so far broke that it wont play anymore. Can someone else play theres?

·
Blue Devil
3,658 Posts
i can go either a 19x 8.5 with a 35 or 45 offset for the front. and for the rear its a 9.5 with the same of 35 or 45 offset
the 35's in the front AND rear will stick out.

the 45 in the front will sit nice and flush with the fender, but it might actually hit the suspension (?)

9.5 +45 in the rear should be fine. it'll clear the suspension by miles, it might stick out a TINY bit though.

if you've never tried figuring out wheel fitments, then it can be confusing, but think of it like this:
the word "offset", is exactly what it sounds like. it means how many millimeters the hub of the rim is OFFSET from the dead center of the rim itself. (i'm calling the "hub" the part of the rim where the lug nuts get bolted on)

my suggestion is to imagine the rim of a car sitting there on the ground with NO tire on it. and you're standing over the rim looking straight down on it. and also imagine that somehow you can see right through the rim, to where the spokes are. and also try to imagine that the part that is the spokes, that you can move it left or right, closer or farther away from the dead center, in which case the distance from the spokes (or hub) to each edge is the SAME.

so if a rim is zero offset, there is an exact amount of distance from the hub to the edge of the rim on BOTH sides.
a rim with +45 offset means the hub is 45 millimeters towards the OUTSIDE part of the rim (thus making the lip of the wheel 45 millimeters less deep than zero offset).

so you're comparing the exact same wheels with +35 and +45 millimeter offsets.
try to imagine a wheel bolted up the car. the part thats bolted on, which i've been calling a "hub", can't move. it's stuck where it is.
but imagine that the rim itself, you can slide it closer IN or further OUT. the further OUT, the LOWER the offset. why?? because if you choose a +35 offset instead of 45, that means the hub is 10 millimeters closer to the dead center of the rim than the 45 offset setting. and if the hub is closer to the center by 10mm, then that means the lip is 10mm bigger and the wheel itself will stick out more by 10mm.

and if a wheel sticks out too much, then you need a HIGHER offset (meaning, a wheel whose hub is more towards the outside part of the rim compared to the one with a lower offset. thus creating a SMALLER lip and a wheel that sticks out LESS than the one with the lower offset)

(by now, that should make sense to you. if not, then i give up, i don't know how to describe it any more simply without using pictures)

·
Blue Devil
3,658 Posts
^^^God i really hope that made sense..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you LO 21. that does make sense now. you say the 9.5 +45 offset should clear the rear. so the front being 8.5 which is smaller i should stilll do a +45. that should be ok right. i mean i don't have the rims so i'm trying to imagine. i'm not looking for a crazy lip. i don't wna pull fenders unless i have too. the rims i'm looking at are MRR GT-1.

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
Thank you LO 21. that does make sense now. you say the 9.5 +45 offset should clear the rear. so the front being 8.5 which is smaller i should stilll do a +45. that should be ok right. i mean i don't have the rims so i'm trying to imagine. i'm not looking for a crazy lip. i don't wna pull fenders unless i have too. the rims i'm looking at are MRR GT-1.
if you dont want to modify fenders then yes the +45 offset should be fine. its not an aggressive offset but its fine.

·
Blue Devil
3,658 Posts
if you dont want to modify fenders then yes the +45 offset should be fine. its not an aggressive offset but its fine.
i have a feeling the 8.5 +45 in the front might be risky??

dr1fter, just because the 9.5 +45 is fine in the back, doesn't mean an 8.5 with that same offset will be fine in the front. there is a LOT less space to make things fit in the front than in the rear.

8.5 +45 will be fine on the outer part, there wont be an issue with the fender.
my only concern with 8.5 +45 in the front is that it will actually hit the SUSPENSION

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Uggg.

My records so far broke that it wont play anymore. Can someone else play theres?
i'm up for the challenge whats your exact wheel specs philly and I'll think about it, not sure if im up for the job or not yet.

Oh and to the guy that posted this if you wanna be safe just do like by 9.5 +30

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
9.5 on a +30 offset is not safe... these questions get asked so much because people give the wrong info and confuse everyone. Our stock offsets are +50... use some common sence and stay close within, that's it.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
You can get so crazy with a 8/9 combo and people have yet to pull it off crazy.

18x8/9 +20 :) im picturing it in my head and it should work. haha

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have my mind set on these rims. they don't make that many offsets which is the problem. they do have the 9.5+35. that will have more of a lip. they will clear the suspension right? if i have to do a fender roll i will but i hope i don't have to.

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
i have a feeling the 8.5 +45 in the front might be risky??

dr1fter, just because the 9.5 +45 is fine in the back, doesn't mean an 8.5 with that same offset will be fine in the front. there is a LOT less space to make things fit in the front than in the rear.

8.5 +45 will be fine on the outer part, there wont be an issue with the fender.
my only concern with 8.5 +45 in the front is that it will actually hit the SUSPENSION
8.5+45 in the front with 225 and youre good. thats a pretty common set up

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
I have my mind set on these rims. they don't make that many offsets which is the problem. they do have the 9.5+35. that will have more of a lip. they will clear the suspension right? if i have to do a fender roll i will but i hope i don't have to.
you will have to roll and pull the fenders some. all depends on your tire width, ride height and the amount of camber you run.

for a newbee who doesnt want to mess with modding fenders i would suggest +45

·
Blue Devil
3,658 Posts
yes, i would also suggest a 9.5 +45 in the rear.

don't listen to all those other guys making comments about majorly aggressive setups, +30, +20, all that stuff. just ignore it.

they all have a LOT of knowledge and very very cool setups. they're not my exact taste, but those guys spent tons of time planning out their setups, and then doing things to make all of it fit (fender rolling, shaving, stretched tired, etc.)

you're not looking for any of that. you're more like me, a nice, decently aggressive setup, 8.5 fronts, 9.5 rears, so what would work, still look nice, not require tons of fender modifications, and not rub?

your answer is 8.5 +45 front (which i'm still not sure it'll clear the suspension), and 9.5 +45 rear, that one will be perfect. do NOT go with +35, you'll regret it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.