Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if I can install a catalytic coverter on it so it can be legal? Also, where would I put it since the y and b pipes are already welded together?

Thanks!

·
Registered
15,872 Posts
Panda Panda Panda...you wanna do a highflow cat...go look at the GB thread or look at a couple of the people who installed them already...most of them have pictures. youve been here long enough to know how to search, so SEARCH!

PS, I still dont think you have this, so take some pics of it OFF the car

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Panda Panda Panda...you wanna do a highflow cat...go look at the GB thread or look at a couple of the people who installed them already...most of them have pictures. youve been here long enough to know how to search, so SEARCH!

PS, I still dont think you have this, so take some pics of it OFF the car
I will go take pics if you can tell me where I would install this on the exhaust? and how?
HottExhaust -3" ID 300 cell density Metallic Substrate Universal Catalytic Converter Magnaflow 59959
also would I need the 3" one? since I have the 3" system?

·
Registered
15,872 Posts
you mean get the cat welded into the b-pipe? i'm planning on going tomorrow. i just put the header/y-pipe on tonight.
I ended up buying the Magnaflow Spun High-Flow CAT, #59956. That part number is for the 2.5" CAT, but you probably want to find the part # for the 2.25" CAT if you're welding it to your b-pipe (probably #59955?).

The shop was closed today, so I am waiting until monday to have the work done. I will see if they let me take pictures while the car is on the lift, and I will post them.

Hopefully I will have a chance tomorrow to install my O2 simulator. If so, I'll take pictures of that too.
I got the high-flow cat installed today. the shop ended up welding it into the b-pipe just before the flange. there is a noticable amount of added drone, feels a tad bit slower, isn't as loud at high rpm's, and it doesn't smell like pure gasoline anymore.

still to come: o2 sim install
and you will also need an o2 sim so that there is no CEL light on...i dont usually do this much leg work Panda, Im tired now. you suck :pissed:

·
Registered
411 Posts
Stay away from the magnaflows same with the Bassani's. I have read alot of the Lightning owners have blown them out, and have seen them come apart for myself when pulling an exhaust.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
you can't not throw a code with headers on. there is no way to weld a catalytic converter in it's stock location on the mazzuri, but if somehow you did, buying aftermarket headers would be a waste of money since the car will basically be stock again.

anyway, the best way to pass emissions is to weld in a 3" high flow catalytic converter, which will make the exhaust fumes not smell so much like gasoline. judging by the look of your system, you can weld one anywhere on the y-pipe/b-pipe (further back in the exhaust, aka not right when the headers merge into one pipe). then, you will need to buy and install an o2 simulator so that your car does not throw a code. this way, you will pass the obdii emissions test, and your car won't smell bad enough for the tester to be too suspicious. if it's still too loud, have a resonator welded into the y-pipe. it will cut back on the noise.

Universal o2 simulator dual output [unv-o2sim2] - $40.00 : O2 Simulator, E-commerce

that was way too much help considering all this stuff has been posted before. but anyway, good luck.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
and you will also need an o2 sim so that there is no CEL light on...i dont usually do this much leg work Panda, Im tired now. you suck :pissed:
by the way, i never got around to posting pictures. i couldn't get under the lift to take a picture of the catalytic converter and i was just too lazy to take a picture of the o2 simulator installed, even the picture really wouldn't show much of anything because it's just a bunch of wires.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
he already did install them (supposedly).... and apparently he did buy the actual 3" system because the guy he bought them from met up with him and verified it an everything. oh well....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts