Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so i just got a 2003 is300 that when i bought it the guy said he put s new head gasket on it and evrything but never finished timing it and i got it thinking that the timing is no problem so i timed it and i can spin the motor over by hand and its good but when i go to crank it to read the compression is spins slow i got a new battery and still same thing so i tried to crank it and i spun slow so i tried to spin the motor over by hand after trying to crank it had a lott of resistance for like a 8th of a turn but then frees up and it makes full strokes no resistance by hand but when i try to crank it it has resistance i need some help

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Why did he replace the head gasket? If it blew, You may have other damage due to overheating. Did you try putting some oil in the cylinders to lube them a bit? It could even be an issue with the starter. You will need to try more things to narrow things down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have oiled the cylinders but havent looked at the starter yet but i will do that and he said he headgasket just went out its got 166k on it

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
If it is damage from over heating. It could be warped cylinders to rods and pistons. Could even have spun a bearing. There is no way to tell without disassembly. Try the starter and check cables first. After all. You checked the timing on te belt. Otherwise. You may need to remove the engine.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Im not sure by what you meant but there is no timing to do on these engines, they have individual coil packs and no distributor so the ECU does it all. The only timing that could be out is the timing belt to the cams if he hasnt put it together properly. If it isnt firing then it could be that not assembled right or could be a few other things. Before tearing things apart best to confirm what is working and what isnt, fuel pressure, spark to all cylinders, etc. then pull the top timing belt cover and make sure all the marks line up correctly. Check compression on all cylinders.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I timed the cam gears im not trying to start it im trying to check the compression but its not spining nowhere near fast enough im gonna jack it up and take the starter of and look at it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The motor spins over freely by hand when i turn it over i dont think that anything is warped the starter is just turning the motor slow

1 - 11 of 11 Posts