Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi im about to puit in my system this week.. this is what i have... jl w7 with a 500/1 amp also i have a 300/4 which goes to my components... one farad digi cap. do you think this set up will mess up my alt. do you think i need a different batt? let me know thanks.

·
Registered
735 Posts
your lights will dim when the bass hits. an optima yellow top battery whould help. but i don't think that you need a new alternator.

·
8,849 Posts
13s_is300 said:
your lights will dim when the bass hits. an optima yellow top battery whould help. but i don't think that you need a new alternator.
The lights dim when amp draws most of the power and the alternator is not capable of sustaining that draw. At that time, battery power is used, but due to the voltage differences between the two, voltage drop occurs, creating the dimming of lights.

Using a Cap would be a good solution. Capacitors hold power for a certain amout of time, depenging on capacity, and current draw and recharge quickly when the amp power draw is low (happens many times per second). I believe 1 Farad per every 1,000 watts is recommended.

·
Useless
4,731 Posts
Leave the stock battery and get a Batcap and a Super cap. The Batcap is a mini super battery that can discharge 400 amps for up to 8 seconds. The Supercap is a 35 Farad cap that weighs less than a 1.5 farad cap without taking up much more space.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I personally wouldnt get too worried about dimming until you test the system since I think that cap you have will do the trick. I experienced instrument panal dimming with a very similar setup but with a 1000w amp and a 1.5 farad cap seems to have taken care of the problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.