Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*****To the moderators: May I please post this in the discussion board for a few days? The reason is that I may be able to get more feedback if I post it here. Thank you very much. :lol: *****

Hello everyone! :lol:

I would like advice from all of you.

Because someone broke my rear window and made a few dents, I am going to have my rear window replaced by a factory Lexus one and the painting done by the factory Lexus ones. So it will look brand new again.

I may sound stupid or crazy.........but I am thinking of trading my 2003 IS300 in for a new 2003 IS300. I called Lexus of McGrath in Chicago, Illinois. They "gauranteed" that they can BEAT any price on the universe!

I currently have 4,100 miles on the car. I do not owe money on the car.

Can anyone recommend a trade value for my car and a good price for a new 2003 IS300? I checked the Kelly Blue Book but they cannot give a quote for 2003 models. I just want an E-Shift IS300 (full leather) with Black Pearl Emblems.

I do not need the navigation and spoiler. Does $31,500 (including tax) sound like a good deal?

I am sooooooooooooooo sorry for the long message.

Thank you very very very much for your help buddies!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

P.S. There goes my scholarship money :(

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Dude....not only are you gonna get screwed on the trade in value, but you're gonna have to pay sales tax AGAIN on the new vehicle. When all is said and done, you'll be out AT LEAST $7000. Don't know why you would want to do that. Just fix the dings and the window! :wink:

·
Registered
20,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
craniac24 said:
Dude....not only are you gonna get screwed on the trade in value, but you're gonna have to pay sales tax AGAIN on the new vehicle. When all is said and done, you'll be out AT LEAST $7000. Don't know why you would want to do that. Just fix the dings and the window! :wink:

Hello craniac24 :lol:

Thank you for your feedback. :)

I checked Kelly Blue Book and a trade-in value for a 2002 IS300 is $27,350. So I was thinking for a 2003, I can get around $27,800.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Don't know if you'd be able to get that much due to the fact that your repairs will have been logged in Lexus' system. I'm sure they will try to use that against you in any trade value discussions.

Even so, thats still a lot of money to be throwing out the window. Can I ask why you're considering doing this? Is it just a matter of your car not feeling "new" anymore after having some repairs done to it?

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
31.5K without Nav and spoiler?? That is high man, you should ask for a lil over 30. I paid 31.5 for my IS with Nav and spoiler, granted it is a manual but the Nav retail is 2K and the spoiler is 500.

You will loose out a lot if you trade it in, I traded my 01 with 11K on it last April and got 27 for it, I had it for a year. It is up to you, but I know how you feel about the damage on a new car, it does not feel new anymore. If you dont care about the money, go for it, but if you do, fix it and keep it.

Also, did you claim the window and trunk under insurance? Because that will drive the trade in down also.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Is there any specific reason you are trading in your car for another of the same year and make? Do you want a different color or options package? If not, I wouldn't suggest trading in. Once you drive your new car off the dealers lot, there is no way you are getting back anything close to what you paid for it.

Then again, if you have the money and this is what you want to do - by all means do what makes you happy... :)

Good luck!

·
Registered
20,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
craniac24 said:
Can I ask why you're considering doing this? Is it just a matter of your car not feeling "new" anymore after having some repairs done to it?

Thank you for your feeback. The answer to your question is yes.

Enjoy the day!

·
Registered
20,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
VVTIS said:
31.5K without Nav and spoiler?? That is high man, you should ask for a lil over 30. I paid 31.5 for my IS with Nav and spoiler, granted it is a manual but the Nav retail is 2K and the spoiler is 500.

Also, did you claim the window and trunk under insurance? Because that will drive the trade in down also.
Hello VVTIS :lol:

Damn you got one hell of a deal! Good lord! :eek:

Does 30,250 (including tax) sound reasonable?

Yes, I did claim under insurance. I only pay the $250 and State Farm pays the rest.

Thank you bud! :)

·
Registered
20,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
IS300 Fanatic said:
Is there any specific reason you are trading in your car for another of the same year and make? Do you want a different color or options package?

Hello IS300 Fanatic :lol:

I just want the same color and the only option I want is the black pearl emblems.

Thanks for your feedback.

P.S. Nice picture you have there! 8)

·
Registered
20,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Superman IS 300 said:
dont do it. just fix it. why would you even think of trading it in for the same car????
Hello Superman IS 300 :lol:

If I end up spending less than $4,000, than I am thinking of trading it in. We'll see.

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
378 Posts
MY IS300 said:
craniac24 said:
Can I ask why you're considering doing this? Is it just a matter of your car not feeling "new" anymore after having some repairs done to it?

Thank you for your feeback. The answer to your question is yes.

Enjoy the day!
It makes no sense to me to trade one 2003 IS300 E-shift for another 2003 IS300 E-shift, unless one enjoys making car dealers wealthy. No offense intended, but that scholarship money would probably be better spent to pay for therapy sessions (or at least a few economics courses) instead of another 2003 E-Shift. :-?

·
Registered
83 Posts
an education is more valuable than a car, why invest in a depreciating asset? :shame: Get the car fixed, the dings add character.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
MY IS300 said:
IS300 Fanatic said:
Is there any specific reason you are trading in your car for another of the same year and make? Do you want a different color or options package?

Hello IS300 Fanatic :lol:

I just want the same color and the only option I want is the black pearl emblems.

Thanks for your feedback.

P.S. Nice picture you have there! 8)
You're going to spend $4k for Black Pearl Emblems? :crazy:

·
Registered
20,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
UW IS300 said:
MY IS300 said:
IS300 Fanatic said:

8)

:crazy:

Hello UW IS300 :lol:

I just want a new fresh car with 5 miles to start with. I am just thinking about it. We'll see.

So you go to the Univ of Washinton? Great school! Beautiful campus!
I attended UW as well (actually, univ of Wisconsin)

Have a good day!

·
Registered
201 Posts
it doesnt make sense, because the amount of tax you are paying for the new car should equal the amount of the repairs (roughly i believe). i think the only thing you will gain in the trade-in is just the "new car smell"... heh :D
the second car will never replace the memories and happiness of the first.!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Crazy

I would agree with the other posters here discouraging your buying a new IS 300. If you were to buy a new car and that gets broken into, dinged, or some other damage, are you willing to buy a 3rd IS 300 within a year? It just seems VERY illogical to me. Yes, we get attached to our car and we dread anything happening to it, but spending that much money to buy a new car after you have had it repaired so that it is "like new" is just plain crazy. :eek:

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
MY IS300 said:
Yes, I did claim under insurance. I only pay the $250 and State Farm pays the rest.

Thank you bud! :)

Then get the car fixed!! It will be "new" again and you will be out $250 instead of a few thousand you will lose with your trade-in and paying taxes. Just fix the car!

·
Registered
20,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you everyone for your concern and feedback! :lol:

I am/was thinking of trading in my IS "After" I get it fully repaired. Maybe I did sound stupid. :eek: We'll see.

I guess a lot of thinking for me to do. :crazy:

Thank you all!!! :chill:

P.S. Please be careful where you park your car!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
20 Participants
s0yb0mb
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing