Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It gets horrible gas mileage when compared to its competitors.

------------------
Loaded Black/Black IS300

·
Registered
201 Posts
I believe I read in another forum that if you make sure you have proper tire pressure that it has given them better gas mileage. I think she said she's been getting about 20 mpg.
Originally posted by Trance2Trip:
It gets horrible gas mileage when compared to its competitors.

------------------

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Yes, improper inflated tire will cause you mileage for sure. I have done this before. My tires were down abou 3psi, and my fuel economy dropped about 1mpg. Once I got back to 33 or 34psi, then I can start to get around 19.8 to 20 mpg.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have to say that Toyota's inline 6, while a great performer is horrible on gas. What is sad is that I get the same mileage in my GS400.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Lately, I've been driving a little more aggressively, and I've been getting about 16 mpg.

--k

·
Registered
52 Posts
20mpg and only 215HP? R U serious????
youguys still think this is a good car?? HAHAHAHAHHHHHAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaq

LEXUS = Relentless Pursuit of the Next Fill Up

------------------
Keep honking, I'm reloading.

·
Registered
994 Posts
While mileage is admittedly a few mpg less than what it should be, that's not something I would consider to be indicative of a bad car. My mileage is all local, by the way. On freeway driving, I get about 23-24 mpg.

--k

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Even though the gas mileage isn't that great I still prefered it over the competitors...

------------------
Loaded Black/Black IS300

[This message has been edited by Trance2Trip (edited December 03, 2000).]

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yeah the mileage sucks but oh well. I doubt anyone bought the car concerned about what type of mileage they'd get.

·
Registered
27 Posts
im not really surprised by the mpg you're getting... my mpg is pretty bad as well! i think for the higher performance cars mpg certainly drops from the priority ranks...

the tire pressure advice above is very true... it might only give 1-3 mpg difference but in the long run, you'll have a little extra cash

·
Registered
20,481 Posts
Oh God not this stupid a$$ again

Originally posted by 22B:
20mpg and only 215HP? R U serious????
youguys still think this is a good car?? HAHAHAHAHHHHHAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaq

LEXUS = Relentless Pursuit of the Next Fill Up

·
Registered
52 Posts
right on bros letzee:

General Motors laughingstock of the automobile industry-

Camaro's detune vette 5.7 V-8 gross 310HP (underrated) 19/28 mpg (M6) ands 18/26 (4AOD),

SS 320HP (underrated). mpgs ??? probably betta then the IS

these rides have more rwhp then yougals at the flywheel

·
Registered
215 Posts
I don't doubt the HP or mileage figures you quote for the SS's and I guess that if I had a mullet, tattoo and a copy of an Iron Maiden CD it would be a great car. The one thing you have to remember, it is hard to get any kind of gas mileage or win any races when you are sitting on the side of the road brokendown. I might not be faster, but I don't need AAA either.

------------------
Softsell
01 Silver IS 300
01 Toyota Sequoia Limited

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Why all the complaining about gas? Is it much lower than the average automatic inline 6 RWD sedan? What is the avg mpg for a sedan of the IS' caliber anyways? When driven like normal human beings, not pretending to be speed racer. 20 mpg isn't that bad IMHO. My 91 camry was ~23, 89 prelude ~20. The 1st car I ever drove was a 79 Lincoln Continental and that had the same mpg as a lambo, 9 miles per f*cking gallon. So why all the fuss over 5 extra bucks a week?

-crontab -l

------------------
An Ecstatic Owner of a Fully-Loaded Graphite Gray 2001 Lexus IS 300

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
I don't trust those EPA estimates all that much...they're wacky when they measure mpg.

(please search the archives for more info)

·
Registered
654 Posts
If you buy a car for MPG, then get an Insight!

If you consider buying a Camaro or Corvette for gas effiecieny, you're an idiot!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts