Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed my megan headers, with stock y-pipe. the car came with a tanabe super mediallion racing muffler welded on to the stock piping. since I installed my headers, my car has been sounding like a civic at abover 3k rpms. so i go and check for leaks and even bought new gaskets. nope that didnt do it. so i kicked my muffler angerly and heard this rattle. I took the axle back part off and sure enough, somehow, some pieces of metal is stuck inside the packing material chamber and is rattling around. now i have to drive around with a ricey sound for 2 weeks until i get my custom exhaust done. o btw does anyone know where to get gaskets for the header to y-pipe gasket for megan headers? my stock ones leak.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
That stinks. I have heard that the Super Medallion has a "ricer" sound, regardless of whatever stray metal pieces you have. For the gasket, check this out. I'm not sure if it will work with an aftermarket header and a stock y-pipe, but I'd still send nless_dream a PM. An aftermarket gasket will still likely give a better fit than the stock gaskets.

·
13,727 Posts
My research on this site leads me to believe that you will never be able to get a good seal on the aftermarket header to stock y pipe connection. Good luck though...

·
Registered
579 Posts
the guy i bought my header from said you could just go to any auto place like autozone.

"Yes, you can get the exhaust flange gasket at the dealership or at pepboys."

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
My research on this site leads me to believe that you will never be able to get a good seal on the aftermarket header to stock y pipe connection. Good luck though...

yeah, its really hard to try and seal it. since stock y pipe doesnt really have a flat flange

·
Registered
136 Posts
i have the megan header and y pipe.. and my custom exhaust with worl sport muffler.. sound a little ricey .. what have you guys done to fix this? change y pipe? or muffler ?

·
13,727 Posts
Problem: Rice sounding exhaust

Solution: Put back on stock exhaust manifold.

I won't charge you for that one....

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
I have that same problem too. Gotten used to it in some ways....but, don't like it much though.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
i have the megan header and y pipe.. and my custom exhaust with worl sport muffler.. sound a little ricey .. what have you guys done to fix this? change y pipe? or muffler ?
when u say custom, is that custom b-pipe?
i had megan header w/ megan y pipe and OBX w/ hks hiper and with both setup, i have no ricey sound at all. But i used stock b-pipe the whole time. Right now, i'm using megan header/y pipe w/ stock muffler and its a lot more quieter.

Could be your b-pipe thats if u removed your resonator.

·
Registered
136 Posts
yhea i did move my resignator.. should i put it back on? does anyone know the size on a resignator? because my catback is 3" and ima go down to 2.5 this weekend.. so i wasnt sure if the resignator was smaller..

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
without the resinator is just way too loud...and garglely. you should put it on.

·
Registered
136 Posts
well i think i am.. do you guys think i can leave my 3" piping from my cat back.. to the reasignator.. and 3 " out the resignator to the muffler?? or should i go just with 2.5" catback to resig.. 2.5 to muffler?i was guessing leaving the 3" since i am now going to have a resignator and a little bit more restriction.. any ideas.. anyone? pretty confusing.. but im sure someone understands what im talking about..

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I have that same problem too. Gotten used to it in some ways....but, don't like it much though.
Are you thinking about changing it up Eddy?

Reactions: is_300guy

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Are you thinking about changing it up Eddy?
Yeah, I think that after CA2K8, I am thinking about selling it...the header, y-pipe, and the custom b-pipe. We'll see. I am trying to contact nless_dream for the aftermarket gasket for the header to decrease the leaks I may have. May help with the raspiness..if that helps, then I may reconsider. Sorry to thread jack a little guys. But, is related in some ways.:)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so problem solved. this muffler shop is charging me 130 for a axle back with a megan muffler. temporary fix to get that ricey sound fixed. when i get the $700 to get my apexi gt spec exhaust ill be all good.

·
Registered
53 Posts
i've got a stainless axle back w/ a tsudo muffler for 30 bucks plus shipping if you want it... cheaper than 130, especially if you plan on ditching it later. shoot me a PM if you haven't dropped it off at the muffler shop yet.

·
Registered
136 Posts
i've got a stainless axle back w/ a tsudo muffler for 30 bucks plus shipping if you want it... cheaper than 130, especially if you plan on ditching it later. shoot me a PM if you haven't dropped it off at the muffler shop yet.
if he dont get it will you sell it to me?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts