Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3/14/2010 I decided to take my car out of storage. car has 150,000 miles. I went and bought seafoam and decided to try it out. I pour a little over 1/3 cup into the brake booster vacuum. little over 1/3 cup into the oil dipstick and i poured the rest into the gas tank. after that i changed the oil and used 5 qts of royal purple and a k & n oil filter. the results were very good. car idles real good car seems to drive smoother and shift smoother. feels like its all brand new again. i highly recommend the product. make sure to follow the threads about it and read the instructions on the can...

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
heard people had mixed results with putting it in the oil. I use seafoam but I only put it in the fuel tank and the brake booster line. smokes like a mofo when you do it tho.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Yeah I smoked out the nieghborhood last week for fun. Ever since i used this stuff several years ago with an Eclipse and gained 3 mpgs with a much better idle I use this stuff in all my cars now.

Oh BTW you got this in the wrong forum.

·
Registered
675 Posts
dont forget the cops will drive by cuz of ur neighbor thinking r hose on fire.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
3/14/2010 I decided to take my car out of storage. car has 150,000 miles. I went and bought seafoam and decided to try it out. I pour a little over 1/3 cup into the brake booster vacuum. little over 1/3 cup into the oil dipstick and i poured the rest into the gas tank. after that i changed the oil and used 5 qts of royal purple and a k & n oil filter. the results were very good. car idles real good car seems to drive smoother and shift smoother. feels like its all brand new again. i highly recommend the product. make sure to follow the threads about it and read the instructions on the can...
1) For the gas tank, did you add it to a full tank of gas and then drive around normally till your gas tank was almost empty.

2) When you added to the brake booster did you drain it after or leave it in there. Where is the brake booster and what does it do? lol

·
Super Moderator
7,863 Posts
1) For the gas tank, did you add it to a full tank of gas and then drive around normally till your gas tank was almost empty.

You can put it in gas tank with whatever gas level but if you put it in when full the cleaning cycle is longer

2) When you added to the brake booster did you drain it after or leave it in there. Where is the brake booster and what does it do? lol
you leave it in, brake booster has vacum and is injected into the intake manifold , it is located on the brakes master cylinder off the steer colum drivers side engine bay
Ill take a pic of it for you..

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
i used 2/3 of the can is the brake booster and 1/3 in a half tank of gas and ran it till empty. ur supposed to use a full but whatever it worked fine

·
Super Moderator
7,863 Posts
i used 2/3 of the can is the brake booster and 1/3 in a half tank of gas and ran it till empty. ur supposed to use a full but whatever it worked fine
yup thats the hose above.....i dont recommend you use 2/3 can in brake booster unless you use a vac drip ....Id say a 3/4 can in the gas tank and take 1/4 divide it into 2 ....run one cycle then run the other half of 1/4 in the booster line....

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
i believe thats not enough. when goin thru the gas tank ur aiming more towards cleaning the fuel injectors. when going thru the vacuum hose ur aiming for practically everything else. depending on the mileage on ur car i wouldnt put it in the oil. sometime the gunk in ur oil tank is whats holding ur engine together and making it run stronger. i heard some horror stories with ppl with high mileage using sea foam in theyre oil.

if u have low mileage ur supposed to put 1/3 in oil, 1/3 in brake booster hose, and 1/3 in gas. if u have high mileage use 2/3 in brake booster and 1/3 in gas

·
Registered
239 Posts
yeah i recommend NOT putting it in your oil. youre just asking to find your oil on the ground the next day. seafoam will strip down all the sludge but thats whats sealing all the cracks in the engine and keeping your oil from seeping out

·
Super Moderator
7,863 Posts
i believe thats not enough. when goin thru the gas tank ur aiming more towards cleaning the fuel injectors. when going thru the vacuum hose ur aiming for practically everything else. depending on the mileage on ur car i wouldnt put it in the oil. sometime the gunk in ur oil tank is whats holding ur engine together and making it run stronger. i heard some horror stories with ppl with high mileage using sea foam in theyre oil.

if u have low mileage ur supposed to put 1/3 in oil, 1/3 in brake booster hose, and 1/3 in gas. if u have high mileage use 2/3 in brake booster and 1/3 in gas
I wouldnt just pour 2/3 into brake booster ....its a waste ...a drip vac is needed to distribute the cleaner thur the booster line...

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I wouldnt just pour 2/3 into brake booster ....its a waste ...a drip vac is needed to distribute the cleaner thur the booster line...
r u sue cause that vacuum hose had no problem what so ever sucking it all up and the car smoked like a bastard for quite some time

·
Registered
6,431 Posts
A few words of caution from my 20 years of professionally cleaning fuel systems.

Seafoam's primary component is Naphtha - Which of course is very flammable. The flash point of Seafoam is 55 degrees. Any spillage on hot exhaust components will catch on fire.

All of that smoke you are seeing is just the product burning up in the combustion chamber. It is cleaning, and probably efficiently with all of that alcohol in the mixture. The problem is, the Seafoam itself has no thermal stability (due to the low flash point) so it burns up quickly and never gets a chance to clean the combustion chamber very well. Temperatures inside of a combustion chamber are probably 500 - 800 degrees. You need to find a product that is thermally stable at this temperature, to gain what is called a "hot soak" or the ability to soak into the carbon deposits and dissolve them. The only kind of product that can do this is petroleum distillate based chemistry. It costs more to manufacture but is safe to use, and won't swell "O" rings and do any damage internally like Naphtha will.

The drip method is good advice, pouring a liquid directly into the combustion chamber too quickly, will cause Hydrostatic Lock Up (you can not compress a liquid), too fast can and will cause it to pool and "bang" you will probably bend a rod.

Go slowly! The less smoke the better.

So you are doing some cleaning with Seafoam. It is cheap to buy, and is one of the few off the shelf consumer products available.

Its just not cleaning where it counts, can cause damage to injector "O" rings and other rubber seals that it may come into contact with.

You will probably notice an improvement (performance restoration), but the curve will be short lived.

....and finally, any carbon that is loosened, will eventually end up in your oil. Always do an oil change directly or shortly after this service.

......While your at it don't forget to clean the throttle plate as well.

Digger08

Reactions: anfro

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yea make sure you do a oil change. i did mine while driving around after 30 miles. yea my car didnt smoke like crazy it smoke here and there but it was a decent amount of smoke. i let the vac line sip the seafoam very slowly. i notice it took about 2 days to clear the smoky smell... i just put the rest of the seafoam in a barely empty gas tank and filled it up full. since than its been a week since i filled up again. i get a little bitter gas milage. i still need to get a new air filter mines super dirty...

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
well thats what i did and thats what i got. the car runs so much better than it did prior to and i get better gas mileage. just sharing my experience with u all

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.