Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Forgive me if this is common knowledge, but I thought I'd share a solution to eliminating some buzzing coming from my speakers.

I have a Z1 and a 4ch amp powering all of my speakers. After getting some RCA inputs fixed on my amp, I thought my buzzing problems would go away (http://my.is/forums/f103/arc-audio-customer-service-351517/?highlight=buzz%2A).

I read about grounding RCA's to the car to eliminate noise. I did the same thing with a PS2 install I did a while ago. This time, however, I noticed that after grounding the RCA, I would hear buzzing from my speakers when:
-Headlights were on (semi high-pitched hum)
-Stepping on accelerator (whining sound)
-Ignition in Acc/On mode (but not nearly as bad as before an RCA to the amp was grounded)

Rather than grounding the RCA connector (on the radio side) to the car, I grounded it to the deck's chassis. I just wrapped some 18ga wire around one of the RCA plugs (around the metal connector), and secured it with electrical tape. On the other end of the wire, I attached one of those circular wire connectors, and used one of the deck's existing screws to secure it to the deck's chassis. Instantly, all of the buzzing stopped. According to another forum, the Z1 has a built-in fuse for it's RCA's. Pioneer has a flat fee of $200USD to fix a deck. I made it work for a small fraction of that price.

Connector:

Hopefully, somebody will find this useful.

EDIT: It would be a good idea to use a zip tie to secure the wire around the RCA plug.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Are you running a sub/amp in addition to your 4 channel?

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have a sub. HU-->4ch amp-->speakers

·
Registered
44 Posts
Are the power wires running along side of the rca's? The only reason I ask is b/c it sounds like a ground loop (hince the prev question) or the power is tied to close to the signal.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They aren't right next to each other, but they are close. Also, I have had this setup since around July 2006 with no probs.

Something was definitely wrong with the HU. I connected my laptop to F&R RCA's going to the amp, and had no problems at all. I connected the RCA's (that would go into the amp) to a portable stereo with an AUX in, and the buzzing was present. I'm pretty sure the problem is isolated to the HU. i even tried a new Monster 4ch cable and still got the same results.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts