Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Can u guys help me out...I'm so lost.

I've been following this forum for about a year now, ever since I saw the amazing IS at the SF Auto show last year. I received alot of info from everyone, not only about the IS but also on general automative info, from Chris, TEG, GPR, and others. I haven't really posted much, but I've been on this forum everyday. So far I've been eagerly waiting for the 2002 IS300. But lately I've notice somnething quite disturbing.....
Hondas, Toyotas, Nissans, Mitsubishis, and even Chevys with these goddamn altezza lights. Which totally made me lose passion for this car. don't get me wrong, I'm not spamming here, nor am I sayng that IS is not a good car, either way IS300 to me is still a amazing car. But I can't comprehend the idea of buying a $35k+ car and look like the rest of the ricers out there who is striving to look like the IS. (no offnse fella's who own an IS)

I know that u guys don't want to hear me say that I'm turning my back on the IS, but I just don't know anymore. Recently I've been taking interest on the Audi A4. I and don't know whether it wuld be wise to take that route instead. What do u guys think. do u guys think the A4 is a good car. Please help me out, try to be subjective, and not flame me for having interest on another car. If u do I will understand tho. BTW, this car will be the first car I purchase on my own. So guys please help. Give me any input u might have on my decision or if u know anything about the A4's reliabilty, pros and cons. thanks guys...

BDA :confuse:

I'll still visit this sight, if I'm still welcomed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Amen brother! I agree with you! I mean what's the freakin deal? I like the IS300 and all but, come on. I mean, you can get alteeza lights for almost every kind of freakin car on the road. I've seen them on Preludes, Mustangs, Accords and of course every other civic and etc. I mean what gives? What happened to being original and individual. If they want "alteeza lights" buy a freakin IS300. As for me, I can not wait for the 2002 IS300 to come out(would love to simply for the arm-rest remedy, one touch down for all windows, dimming mirror, manual gear shift and memory seats - all due in 2002) I recently ordered a 2001 325Ci and that will have to hold me over until the 2002/2003 Nissan Z-car or Mazda RX-7 is reintroduced. My 2 cents. Which these days I should keep since cars are so freakin expensive.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Come on guys, the tail-lights are just a minor part of the car. Don't get too hung up on them.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I agree!!

Im hoping " LEXUS " will come out with a Rear Tailight Kit consisting of "Good Old" Red tailight lense. Im SICK of these Cheap Looking Tailights....
But at the same time I agree with our moderator the RearLights are a "Minor" distraction for now.

The car is Awesome!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
This is the kinda post that burns me up.

But TEG said it best and I agree.

Another point is that unless you are a ricer or someone who follows cars pretty close- you don't notice.

Was out with a bunch of friends and pointed out a riced-out Civic, they all knew it was a Civic.

Tailights are taillights, now when they start putting the LEXUS nameplate on their rides, I'll be right with you.

Finally, get the BMW, if the taillights are upsetting you like this, you won't be happy.

But then again, EVERYONE has a bimmer.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Waiting a long time for a car makes you waver. The A4 is a nice car, but the 1.8T interior is not nearly as nice as the 2.8, and the 2.8 is too expensive. I wouldn't pay $35k for an IS either, but next year the car will be a lot cheaper, maybe $32,000. I wouldn't worry about the lights, the car's so much fun to drive who cares. For me, since the guy at Eurobuyers.com says he can get me a Euro delivery 330i for $34,660 (Sport,leather,wood,folding rear seats), I'm probably gonna do that instead, or maybe get an E36 328i and wait for something irrestible to come out, like a S2000-based sedan from Honda.

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Sorry, that 330i price is actually $36,460, I switched a couple numbers.

Originally posted by ckolsen:
For me, since the guy at Eurobuyers.com says he can get me a Euro delivery 330i for $34,660 (Sport,leather,wood,folding rear seats),

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've learned in my 31 years on this planet that you simply can't be totally happy ALL the time with a purchase. Especially cars and computers, every time you you buy what you think you want, something else better (or *seemingly* better) is right around the corner.

Luckily, I can live with my most of my decisions. Have I had second doubts after getting my IS300? Sure, its completely natural. But what I come back to is the fact that I still enjoy the car and may end up buying the darn thing after the lease is up. But in general, I don't have any major car religion. This is the biggest reason at this point in my life, I lease cars.

As far as the lights go, I could care less. Their will always be imitations of good things, imitation is the biggest form of flattery (even if it gets annoying at times) to me.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Maybe this can help you. The tail light thing is not as big as you think, I'm sick of seeing hondas and such with our tail lights as well, but then I remember that when I drive by those people, I'm the one driving the IS and I see their faces dying over my car. They only wish they could drive it. The car is not all tail lights, there's so much more to it. When you have one you'll know what I mean.
I had the chance of going to the Lexus driving event. They had the IS, Audio A4, and BMW 328. I drove all 3 and compared. The IS clearly was the better car. The Audi was the worst, slow, heavy, and pigish. I'll admit that the interior was a little more luxurious, but would you take a nicer interior over a better ride?? The BMW was OK but the IS beat it hands down. If I were you I would wait for the IS. You'll end up paying more money for the others. The tail lights will be out of style for the rice burners soon anyway. They'll move on to something else, thats the way it is in that scene. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I agree with Cisco. I bought the lexus because it was a LEXUS. I also looked at the Audi A4 2.8, but am not impressed with the brand. LEXUS was it for me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi all

Thanks or your input..I'll keep u guys posted on my dercision.

I'm going to have to seriously think it over.

bda

·
Registered
12 Posts
hey-

I am also looking at the other cars that are on the market, especially the a4. As you said before you were worried about the IS losing is character and individuality with all the people stealing its lights. The problem that I have with the A4 is that its long overdue for a new body style, its been out since 96'. I would rather buy a car that is new the market so that I could be one of the first to drive it, and not everyone could afford it. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Forget about the tail-lights!
Believe me when those clear lenses show up on the RX300's next year, all the Honda kids will stop puttin' them on their cars in about a week.
Now about the IS...once you drive one for a while, the tail-lights (even if you don't happen to like them) will become a total non-issue. The car is so "right" in so many ways, the tail-lights are just not important.
Also, for those who believe the 2002 IS will list for less than 2001's - don't bet on it. The 2001 model's list has already gone up once (or will soon, depending on where you live). The 2002 car will most probably offer more standard equipment, but will also cost more. And as long as these cars sell as fast as they can drive 'em off the boat, prices will not move South.
The IS is so much more than those clear tail-light lenses. Those who have one already know. It's a terrific car.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi everyone

Today, Ive ahd a chance to test drive the Audi A4, and I was compleely impressed!!! The the thing is that I test drove the IS300 earlier back, and I was rather disappointed in the throttle response. The A4 when when I want it to, I could feel every increment of of the throttle, the IS was like that. The thing is that the A4 I drove was a manual, could that be it? anyone know? TEG?

BDA

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Of course a manual trans car is going to feel more responsive and controllable compared to an auto.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts