Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm posting here right now to just ask if any of you can verify this rumor or not. I got this bit of info from a friend that heard it from his friend at work that is 1st in his class in the country at the SCCA (not saying which though
) and his wife is also up there. So I have a rather good feeling it's true....

Anyways what my friend basically said was that there is a law in the US that allows a person to import one car that can not and is not manufactured in the US per life time. So for instance, a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI GSR or a a Nissan Silvia Spec-R Aero, etc.

All you gotta do is pass emissions and the car is yours, you don't have to hide it or pretend that it doesn't exist or register it under a different name (Lancer as a Mirage, Silvia as a 240sx) But you can only do it once and that's it, no more special import (be it Euro or Jap) for you after that one car. Till ya die, then maybe you can get a new one hehe....

Well ,as some of you know, I'm opting to get the 2002 IS300 (which I was informed doesn't come out 'till fall 2002 *groan*) but after I heard this I started considering getting an Import (hey ya only live once
) But then, of course, if this rumor IS true do I really want to waste my one time shot on a Silvia or an Evo 6 or something along those lines??

Anyways my pipedream is just that at the moment until I get more info about this little deal.... I just hope this wasn't some hidden secret that I just blew thje whistle that only "special" people know about so all the rice boys don't go out and import their Civic Type Rs and screw the 1 import per life rule for all of us

Well, any light on the subject would be of some help (man I just hope that friend of a friend wasn't pulling my leg)

[This message has been edited by Omni (edited September 24, 2000).]

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
If this was true, which I doubt, and the best you could think of to do w/ your money and 1 chance at a JDM car was a Civic Type R I would just laugh my a$$ off at you. (Not YOU specifically, you as in whoever would choose a Civic Type R). Bwahahahaha. Chance in a lifetime and you choose a Civic.
Ahahahahahahahahahaha.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lotus Elise is nice, any Porsche I'd say "eh"
Not into them, Skyline GTR R34 VSpec is nice (but you can buy them LEGALLY from MotoRex so why waste your 1 import on that?) Diablo GT is sweet.... RS4 owns too....

But realistically I don't have huge pockets :p Least not enough to afford super cars.... Based on my current budget I'd get a WRX, Silvia, B4, Evo 6... Not a big Euro guy so I dunno much about those

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
You can legally get a Lotus Elise here, just a special order through the Lotus dealer. I just found this out in the past week as one of them was right outside my company. I didn't see it, but apparently many of my co-workers saw it (why did I have to go fly RC airplane that day during lunch

I suggest if you have the money, get a Skyline GT-R. You don't need the V-spec as the only difference is the suspension and a fully cover under body. I think a GT-R should be in the mid 40K, although I haven't kept up with it for a while. And it will be much cheaper than getting one from Motorex as you only have to pay shipping, duty, and emission exam (or whatever you call it).
Mrclam, which car will you rather bring in from Europe? From what I see, there are only a few cars from Europe that is not legal here, and there isn't that many cars in the world that can beat a Skyline GT-R, especially the V-Spec or the 400R.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
i'd probably bring over the m5 or something =) euro spec'd cars are a lot sweeter than us spec, but then again, you'd probably have to reduce all the stuff back to us spec to pass emissiosn, maybe a porsche gt3? =)

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
if you are in california, you will probably have to change the exhaust to something they like. I remember the Skyline lost about 10hp after Motorex modified to meet the emission. BTW, can't you get an Europe M5 in Canada? I know someone had gotten a German spec E36 M3 a couple of years back because Canada had it.
How about importing the rally cars they have in Europe? That will be something you will never see here in U.S. and is up there with the best performers.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
http://www.customs.ustreas.gov/imp-exp2/informal/car.htm

============================================

Office of Field Operations

WARNING!

Imported motor vehicles are subject to safety standards under the Motor Vehicle
Safety Act of 1966, revised under the Imported Vehicle Safety Compliance Act of
1988; to bumper standards under the Motor Vehicle Information and Cost Savings
Act of 1972, which became effective in 1978; and to air pollution control standards
under the Clean Air Act of 1968, as amended in 1977 and 1990.

Most vehicles manufactured abroad that conform with U.S. safety, bumper, and
emission standards are exported expressly for sale in the United States; therefore,
it is unlikely that a vehicle obtained abroad meets all relevant standards. Be
skeptical of claims by a foreign dealer or other seller that a vehicle meets these
standards or can readily be brought into compliance.

Nonconforming vehicles entering the United States must be brought into
compliance, exported, or destroyed.

This page provides essential information for U.S. residents, military or civilian
government employees, and foreign nationals who are importing a vehicle into the
U.S. It includes U.S. Customs requirements and those of other agencies whose
regulations we enforce. Since Environmental Protection Agency and Department of
Transportation requirements are subject to frequent changes, we recommend that
you contact these agencies before buying a vehicle abroad. Their addresses can
be found below.

Our leaflets Know Before You Go (Customs Hints for Returning U.S.
Residents)and Customs Hints for Visitors (Nonresidents) contain general
information for persons entering the U.S. You may obtain copies from your nearest
Customs office or by writing to U.S. Customs, P.O. Box 7407, Washington, D.C.
20044; or from American embassies and consulates abroad.

The Environmental Protection Agency has a detailed automotive facts manual
describing emission requirements for imported vehicles. You can get a copy of this
manual, called the Automotive Imports Facts Manual,(order #EPA420B94006) or
other information about importing motor vehicles by calling EPA's Imports Hotline
(202) 564-9660.

You can also communicate by fax at (202) 564-9596 or by writing to the U.S.
Environmental Protection Agency, Manufacturers Operations Division 6405-J,

Investigation/Imports Section, 401 M Street, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20460.

NOTE. lmportations from Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya, or North Korea, or that involve the
governments of those countries, are generally prohibited pursuant to regulations
issued by the Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control. Prior to any
attempt to make such an importation, information concerning the prohibitions and
licensing policy should be obtained by contacting the Director, Office of Foreign
Assets Control, U.S. Department of the Treasury, 2nd Floor ANX, 1500
Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W., Washington, D.C. 20220, tel. (202) 622-2500, or FAX
(202) 622-1657.

====================================

Motor vehicles not more than 25 years old must conform to the DOT motor vehicle
safety standards that were in effect when these vehicles were manufactured.
Passenger cars manufactured after September 1, 1973 must also meet bumper
standards. The importer must file form DOT HS-7 at the time of entry, indicating
whether the vehicle conforms to applicable safety and bumper standards. The
original manufacturer is required to affix a label to the vehicle certifying that these
standards have been met if the vehicle is intended for sale in the United States.
Vehicles that d

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks TEG.... Didnt see anything in there about that law, but this is actually better hehe I think, from what I gathered you gotta go through some major hassles to get the car you want (obviously) but it CAN be done! We'll I'm going to look into this further, I'll let you all know what happens

[This message has been edited by Omni (edited September 24, 2000).]

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Because I don't like the new style or specs of the Evo 7

Best Evo out here is the Evo 6 Makinen which just came out like 2 months ago....

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I remember seeing something about that law somewhere, but I have been unable to find the specific description.

One thing I can say is that you have to be careful - some federal agency may grant you an exception, but then you might find yourself in a "catch-22" where some other agency (emissions regulation, safety regulations, taxation, whatever...) doesn't let you "get away with it" the way you had hoped.

Also, I don't think you can just bring in any model from anywhere unmodified. I think the law say you have to do some compliance modifications.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Road & Track explained once when they were talking about the McLaren F1 being sold here in the States. Basically you need to pass all the safety and emission regulations US has. I remember the F1 had to put custom bumpers and take out the rear seats (if you call them like that), because they didn't meet the regulation.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ya well this is the information I've got so far, If you import a car here it has to be DOT and EPA certified... Gotta have certain safety harneses, bumpers, air bags, must meet all the emissions, plus pay some duty taxes and gas guzzeling taxes (shrug).... There's 2 ways to go about it, talk with the EPA and the NHTSA to see if my car in question conforms, and if it does I can bring it over here with maybe a small modification or two... Or if the car does not meet the correct standards and needs SERIOUS modification, I'll need to ship my car to an ICI (Independent Commercial Importer) such as MotoRex and have then do the work (which they say can be very costly.)

Well I'm going to look into this further.... Right now I'm opting for a Nissan Silva S15 (K, of course.) Only around 22 grand for a new one and if I can import it here for under what I'd pay for an IS300 then I'll get it, if not then I'll get an IS300... either way I'm happy

I'll keep you all updated on my progress of this little endevor, hopefully I'll see some good fruit come of it

[This message has been edited by Omni (edited September 25, 2000).]

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
After the legal aspects just where do you plan on getting your car serviced? Forget about warranty and parts. Your asking for an automotive nightmare.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The silvia uses almost the same exact engine as the new SE-R cept it's turbo charged.... it's not like I'm getting a puegot here... I'm sure I could get it serviced like any other car.... It's basically a 240SX only the new model.... this is the S15 in America we have only the S14 and S13.

Besides I said I'm going to LOOK into it, that doesn't mean I'm going to DO it. So if it's more trouble than it's worth I won't bother.

[This message has been edited by Omni (edited September 25, 2000).]

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
The bottom line i believe is that if you have enough money and free time,you can do pretty much what ever you want!!!! However for most of us on this board, the above 2 are big issues. That's why you mostly see old guys riding in exotic cars. (or .com ers last year)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well the way I figure it is this.... If I can get this Silvia imported for under the price of what an IS300 would cost me then why not be 100% original and get that instead? Of course parts, servicing and insurance are an issue, but I'm not planning on buying the IS300 until next fall when the manual gets here so I have plenty of time to try new options... Besides I'm 19 my insurance would be sky high not matter what car I get

It's not like I'm going for some super exotic Diablo GT here.... I'm getting a car that's cheaper by 10 grand than an IS300 so I have roughly that much to play with and see if I can bring it over here for around that much (well, we'll see about it I guess)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
10 Participants
Omni
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing