Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Everyone says running richer is better, for pingining reasons, but I want to know the scientific messurement for some reasonings.

From my understanding the only reason to run richer is the simple fact that the extra fuel absorbs the heat from the intake air and reduces ping/det. but thats it, but likewise you must run richer when boosting as in the combustion is totally different in those conditions, not having ping in mind.

So, what is more benifficial, running 7psi at 12 to 1 and having a kick ass intercooler cooling the shit outa the air or not such a kick as intercooler and running 10.5 to 1.

I'm trying to understand the balance between cooling, a/f ratio and keeping our NA desinged engine happy in boost (ie maybe the use of oil coolers, header rapping, turbo blanket ect.).
I guess what I'm asking in total is is that is adjusting to 10 to 1 better than staying at 12 to 1 and upgrading the intercooler?

What makes the bigger difference, running richer or intake temps?

Is it a complex equation between temp, compression, engine friction, octane, timing and boost effeciency that I shouldn't fu*k with and leave it with the tuners? There are so many veriables, leaves me to wonder are piggys better because piggys rely on Toyota variable tuning and just amplify on those maps designed to work in Death Valley and the Mountains or is doing it from scratch with EMS better. What imputs can you get away with simming and what imputs you sim will just Fu*k you when something breaks down? Guess it depends on hp goals...

This is why I shouldn't drink and go on .net.

B.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think maybe the MODs should delete this thread? My mistake last night.

B.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
running richer is simply an easy technique to use the extra fuel to 'cool down' your mixture of air and fuel - it's not soo much the air itself that's hot, it's the whole combustion chamber that gets hot. The hotter the engine gets, the more likely it is to ping, caused by ignition of the gas/air mix in your cylinder before the spark of the spark plug. So if you can't change your timing, you add the extra fuel to 'cool' it down - Cooling the air helps, but how much cooler does your air get? But you're right, drinking and being on .net never works with me, so ima finish this beer and keep surfing :p

1 - 3 of 3 Posts