Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this was discussed a while back, but I absolutly cannot take it anymore. Ive tried every single thing, but nothing works. It takes me 35 minutes to pump my gas becuase the stupid fuel cut off cuts it off every 3 seconds :pissed: What should I do??? Thanks in advance for the help without any sarcasm :lol:

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
- hmmm, mine is okay... stick it in, lock it up, wash my windows :chill:

·
Registered
608 Posts
i seen this on some domestics but this is the first on an import. sometimes theres a flap at the bottom of the filler neck and the gas tank and that gets stuck. take it to the dealer.... they may have to replace the filler neck and/or the tank. hopefully under warranty?

·
Registered
231 Posts
i feel ya mang-

when i first got my IS3 this pump problem was killing me... i couldnt figure it out, and its sorta embarassing.

The move that solved the problem for me was to stick the nozzle all the way down, as far as you can into the tank and hold it there with a little pressure to keep it down, it will never click off again....

no more locking it and walking away for me tho :roll: those were the good ole days i guess...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Mine works just fine at the gas pump. However, where I live, you can't pump your own gas. I prefer to pump my own gas, because the attendants don't care about scratching your car, or letting gas drip on your car, etc. I don't know how many times I have to tell the attendants not to drop the gas cap against the body, but to use the holder in the gas lid. :roll:

·
Registered
812 Posts
Since I live in NJ I don't have to pump my gas but I do it anyway..

But the other day I was getting gas and I noticed a car in front of me having the same problem. So the gas attendant turned the pump upside down and then pumped the gas in. Once he did that the cut never came back on until it was almost filled.

Just an idea…

·
Registered
824 Posts
Martin said:
Since I live in NJ I don't have to pump my gas but I do it anyway..

But the other day I was getting gas and I noticed a car in front of me having the same problem. So the gas attendant turned the pump upside down and then pumped the gas in. Once he did that the cut never came back on until it was almost filled.

Just an idea…
Like I said...all about angle 8) 8)

·
11,054 Posts
Hmmm...mine works fine...but then I don't leave it running without holding it. We have a FEW full service stations around. There's a Shell station near my home that will pump it for you...for a few cents more per gallon...

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well there is only self serve stations here...which kinda sucks but iguess everywhere has its ups and downs. Anyways, I have the JoeZ intake so i dont really know whats up. I dont have the SRT and with my JoeZ I only have one tube. Maybe something is wrong but its really really anoying to fill up my tank. Ive tried every way, every angle so that doesnt work. This intake thing sounds good...but i need to know which tubes to switch???

bigdog0598 wrote:
That happened to me, all it was, was when i installed my intake, there is a part where a hose is on the side and on the bottom, i had them reversed and it caused that, so anyone with SRT make sure the red hose is on the bottom.

Quote:Dude, you are awesome!!!!

THAT WAS IT. I took the hose off today and it went "pshhhhhhhhhhhh" and I switched em, and my car filled up like a mo fo.
[

WHAT DOES THAT TUBE DO? or measure?

I wanna know how they got switched...

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had the exact same problem with my car. At first I could hold it upside down and it would work fine, but then it got worse and at any Mobil station I went to it would have taken me 5 years to pump gas. I tried a Hess station and it worked while the thing was upside down. When I brought my car in for service one of the hoses on my K&N intake had been crimped after the bracket broke that held the thing in place. They fixed it, and then a few weeks later the problem was solved by itself... Dunno how, but i am happy, lol.

They did not know what it was either, however I think its probably something to do with an aftermarket item on the car.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I would check to see if that hose in your intake is crimped. This happened to me once, a long time ago, but never since then. And I have a stock intake too.

I'm still confused as hell as to how a hose all the way in the front of the car has such a big impact on filling up the gas tank in the back of the car.... or why the intake hose would have anything to do with the gas tank in the first place :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

·
Registered
172 Posts
This whole thread doesn't make any sense to me. I stick the gas nozzle into the fill hole and pump gas ( you have to hold the flow control lever" on" or it will shut off)until full. You cannot set the little trip switch on the lever because it has been removed for safety. Too many people catching everything on fire(static electricity). I thought it was this way nationwide.
Do you guys modify your gas filler tubes?

·
Premium Member
52,282 Posts
IS JOE said:
I would check to see if that hose in your intake is crimped. This happened to me once, a long time ago, but never since then. And I have a stock intake too.

I'm still confused as hell as to how a hose all the way in the front of the car has such a big impact on filling up the gas tank in the back of the car.... or why the intake hose would have anything to do with the gas tank in the first place :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
It's a closed system to vent and burn any gasoline fumes. The tank is vented to the intake in a similar manner as your crankcase is vented to the intake. Any fumes coming from either are supposed to get burned up with the air that's going to the throttle body. So, if you got the hoses mixed up, your gas tank would not be venting and it would be hard to fill. Some cars vent the gas tank to a canister of activated charcoal. Maybe some cars have both.

It's just another little part of emissions controls.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.