Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to my preferred Lexus dealer (Lexus of Tacoma @ Fife) to pick-up a brochure and TEST DRIVE a “Graphite Gray” IS300. (For any of you who’s name is on the wait list, you are legible to test drive one anytime, so please stop by)

Let me first start by saying… DAMM… this car is smooth and quite. This car sure sounds like a Lexus –smooth, quiet and very performing. The handling was awesome, I got to throw it around some corners and have to say it can handle like a dream, even without the need of VSC. The all speed trac does and excellent job at keeping those wheels planted to the ground. The brakes are also really good.

Well, that’s all I’ll say. You’ll just have to wait till you drive it…

Danny Z

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jason:

This car was a blast to drive!

What salesman that will be earning your business? What’s your preferred color?

I’ve been dealing with Dwight and I have to say that Dwight it an excellent salesman, as well as the dealership itself (Lexus of Tacoma) they are very courteous to their clients and to anyone else, whether you buy a Lexus from them or not.

Danny

·
Registered
57 Posts
A comment made by my local Lexus dealer:
The car was recently tested by AMCI, an independent auto research and testing company. The IS300 pulled 1.02g on a skidpad with the 17" tire package. hmmmmmmm... That puts this sedan in the same performance class as the Viper GTS-R, Modena 360, Porsche GT1. Is it really that good guys/gals?

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
A big part of the skidpad numbers are from the tires used.

All of the cars that you mentioned come with "extreme performance" tires that will need replacement pretty quickly (since they have "soft" rubber).

I find the accounts of "fun to drive" much more interesting than skidpad numbers.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I just read in the Car and Driver magazine that said the road noise was very noticable, so is it really? Also, they complained about understeer so I want to verify this. Also, how does this car compare to the Bimmers? I need some opinions because I am in the market to get a new car, and my main choices are the 3-series coupe and the IS300. The latter one is my first choice due to its price, but all the magazine review seem to have more negative comments than positive ones, so I want to know from people who actually test drove one.

Daniel

·
Registered
306 Posts
Originally posted by Daniel:
I just read in the Car and Driver magazine that said the road noise was very noticable, so is it really? Also, they complained about understeer so I want to verify this. Also, how does this car compare to the Bimmers? I need some opinions because I am in the market to get a new car, and my main choices are the 3-series coupe and the IS300. The latter one is my first choice due to its price, but all the magazine review seem to have more negative comments than positive ones, so I want to know from people who actually test drove one.

Daniel
I'm wondering the same thing myself concerning the noise level. Is it loud for a Lexus, or just plain loud? How about some actual noise measurements in dB so that we can compare to other cars, like the BMW.

·
Registered
423 Posts
The IS I drove didn't seem any louder than the BMW 328i on the track (all windows up and roof closed in both cars). However I was having too much fun in them to pay much attention to sound levels.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
I've never ridden or driven the new IS300 but I'm familiar with the engine because it was used in my old GS300. I don't know if you guys took notice, but the engine is very sweet sounding (unlike the 2.8 liter I-6 in the BMW which is more harsh.) Lexus probably doesn't microfinish the engine parts in the I-6 as they do the 4.0L V8 but nonetheless it's very smooth. Half the fun of running the Lexus I-6 hard is the sound of the engine (it's like beautiful music). I got rid of the GS300 back in 1998. The car was far too heavy to have that engine. I didn't bother racing anyone because I'd lose to civics and the like. It weighed a little more than my current GS400. Well...... I guess I really bought the old GS300 because of it's design.... But guys keep in mind as to what I said about the engine note because it's sounds even more beautiful than my old GS300 looked...
Eric....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
8 Participants
EricK
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing