Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all! my question is that...

Q1-
should i fill up my front license plate holes? if so, what about the price range? i'm scared that the cops will pull me over then i will have to install them on again. then thats a waste of money right?

Q2-
today i was driving... then suddenly this trash truck pulled in front of me from no where without signals then i was kinda pissed cause i was driving around 40 then he was driving like 25. so i step on then passed him quicky... but oh oh i stepped too hard i red line it... it was around 6200 rpm a little over 6. i'm so worried now. will this hurt or damage my engine? this is my first time red line my new IS3. the mileage on my car is 2050. please give me advices.

thank you all!

·
Registered
727 Posts
1. Put your licenses on (if it's required in your area). Sooner or later you will get caught.

2. Redlining momentarily is ok. The rev limiter should protect you from permanent damage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Agreed... Momentarily redlining is okay at your mileage. Check out previous threads...

I just took off the front License plate Holder and exposed those Ugly Holes as well. I'm not sure how much it cost to fill them up. However I plan to replace my front plates with some other sign.... etc.

------------------
Silver IS300 fully loaded w/LSD

·
Registered
626 Posts
Whenever I punch my car it always goes to red line before shifting.

I would not be to worried about it. It is not like you are driving it like that every second of the day.

This engine is a very well oiled machine. I hardly doubt that will hurt it. Now if it was a BMW or a CL TYPE S, I would be running to the service department!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Haha.

With a BMW, you want to redline it occasionally (after break-in). Keeps things running smoothly.

Taking my 330i to the track has gotta be the best thing I've done for the engine. Sorting like taking an asthmatic city dweller to the wilderness...it really cleared its lungs. It literally purrrrs now and it feels faster if that's possible.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Originally posted by IS3:

it was around 6200 rpm a little over 6. i'm so worried now. will this hurt or damage my engine?
thank you all!
Redline is 6250 anyway so it doesn't sound like you even maxed out. Don't worry about it.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Yeah - I wouldn't worry to much about redlining once the car is broken in.

Lexus builds engines that can take alot of hard use. The auto trans controls keep you from going past redline and doing real damage.

Once the manual trans cars show up next year, we will undoubtedly hear some tales of people really hitting the rev limiter and seeing how much the car can take.

The holes in your bumper are put there by the dealer. If you are in a state that doesn't require front plates, and you have not bought your car yet, you can try to ask the dealer not to drill the holes.

·
Registered
626 Posts
My dealer did not drill the holes, but there are little indentations there where you would drill. At first that kind of bothered me but I am over it.

What is it with the front plates in your states, what crime is so bad there they want to see ya coming and going

[From TEG:

They want the Red light cameras to get your face and your front plate in the same picture!]

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited November 03, 2000).]

·
Registered
115 Posts
Q1: No useful opinion to offer here...(sorry)

Q2: When it red lined, did it feel like it wasn't in gear??? If so, I get this more and more frequently as time goes on.

Originally posted by IS3:

Q1-
should i fill up my front license plate holes? if so, what about the price range? i'm scared that the cops will pull me over then i will have to install them on again. then thats a waste of money right?

Q2-
today i was driving... then suddenly this trash truck pulled in front of me from no where without signals then i was kinda pissed cause i was driving around 40 then he was driving like 25. so i step on then passed him quicky... but oh oh i stepped too hard i red line it... it was around 6200 rpm a little over 6. i'm so worried now. will this hurt or damage my engine? this is my first time red line my new IS3. the mileage on my car is 2050. please give me advices.

thank you all!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you all for these great helps!

i'm at CA requires front plate so i guess i will just stick with the law. besides i might get a personal plate so its cool

about the redline thing... what is the max we can go? do you guys go around 5000? or below 4000? when i'm going uphill i usually go around 4-5k rpm. what about on the e-shift? when do you shift them? between 3-4k rpm?

does this mean that the harder i drive the more damage i'm putting on to the engine? maybe like 2 years later my engine will sound crazy terrible?

thank you again...

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
if you want to cover up the holes for the time being, go to a decal shop. you know, those guys that make those cool stickers that make your car go faster.
get some colored vinyl the same color as your car, or as close as possible. then cut like quarter size circles out of the sticker. then stick them over your holes. looks great from afar and most people will never notice them.

i got mine without holes
oh, and i'm in cali too and none of my cars have front plates on them. once i told the cop that someone stole my front plate. he bit one that one. heh...

------------------
2001 IS300 Graphite Grey
94 Supra/6-speed/HardTop
90 Integra
86 Corolla GTS (AE86)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i hate front plate too... i think the front plate will make the car look uglier, but thats a great idea get some decal then stick them on cool i will try it out then see how it goes.
but its too obvious if i have holes now then cops will say oh you just dont want to put on so... i dont want a ticket on that.
just like hyper white rear signals.. a lot people got ticket on that fixing ticket.
you know how come cops are really bit<hing they look at you then your car thinks you are rich so just give u a ticket right? you heard about those cop right?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i just took off my whole front plate and the plate holder then found out that the 2 holes are actally on the front bumper line. right on the line!

my dealer they didnt drilled the holes smoothly. its like popping out. so i guess i cant use the decal to cover up? because its not a straight flat surface...?
is there anyways i can fix it? shold i leave nothing on the bumper? or should i just put the screws on (the screws are black)? or should i just put the license plate holder on (license plate holder is black)? or any suggestions? again... i hate the front plate and i'm finding a way to make a better...

thank you for helping

·
Registered
253 Posts
My car came with a front plate holder so I got the dealer to throw in a front plate...it doesnt look too bad...but I would still rather NOTHING on the front!!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by nutinbut:
[/B]

that looks really good but what if people steal it? i still like nothing on the front. no holes or anything...

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
what color is your car by the way??? if it's black do this: if you want to test out the "sticker" thing, go get some black tape and cut it into some circles. then stick it over the holes. now walk back about 6 feet or so and see how it looks.

if your car is white, then go to home depot or some other hardware store and buy some caulking...the kind they use for walls. try some of that on those pesky holes.

you know i'm only kidding right??? but try the sticker thing. it may hide it just enough so most people won't notice it. hell, what you got to lose right??? good luck...

[This message has been edited by HyperMKIV (edited November 02, 2000).]

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
HyperMKIV-

thank you for that great idea.
should i go to body shop then get this thing filled up? do you know about the price range? under 40-50 would do it? i dont want to spend too much on just 2 holes.

thanks

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
see, the thing with the body shop is, they gotta take the bumper off, then fill the hole, then primer that area then prob paint the whole bumper. it'll cost more than it's worth in my opinon. why don't you go to the dealership that sold you the car and go swap your bumper with a brand new one without holes??? just go late at nite when no one is there...tell me when you go, i'll help you.

heh...and you KNOW i'm only kidding aobut this one...

i guess, um, try the sticker thing. i'm pretty sure if you go to a sticker place and tell them you want some scrap silver vinyl, they'll prob give you some for free. those places waste a lot of good small pieces.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
11 Participants
HyperMKIV
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing