Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate to toot my own horn, but toot m/fin toot! Okay, now that that's out of my system I thought I would share some of the happenings with my car.

I recently purchased some upgrades for my ride and got the finished product back Monday. My visit to get my car from PFS was accompanied by the obligatory reality check in the "car park" provided by Peter himself. It snowed on Saturday. Peter, you're a wildman! We had a good little chat about the upgrades, what was new/different with the car, and some other general type stuff (I still have plenty to learn - talked about the bov/wg/bc controversy. . . yes again).

So here's the list of what was added to the car:

Return Fuel line
PFS Cams (264's)
HKS adjustable Cam gear (now there are two)
PFS Exhaust (SS)
TT Internals (rods/pistons)
Additional Boost controller (turbosmart)
Upgraded tranny (auto)
and a lot of tuning

It is kind of hard to break out the difference on any specific item other than the exhaust, so I'll start with that.

My car used to have a timid rumble (rmm exhaust), now it kind of growls. It's like you can hear each time a cylinder fires. There is a very throaty and distinct sound from the exhaust now where it sounded very muffled before. The exhaust tone is also much lower/deeper than the rmm was. I'm not sure I've completely adjusted to the loudness of it yet, but I am starting to get used to it. I've certainly heard louder on some of the N/A IS' running around out there along with some of the other turbos. Overall this is a nice improvement to the car and the exhaust looks and sounds fantabulous.

I can't really give a good description of what each individual engine change/upgrade does, but I can give you an idea of the overall effect. The idle of the car is excellent. I haven't had any problems to speak of with cold starts. I haven't noticed any backfiring nor have I seen any huge clouds of exhaust behind me. Otherwise, there are no significant changes to the look and feel of the car. The car feels excellent, even in the sand and snow. Now, as far as how the car runs. . .

If I could only use one word, it would probably be "Holy mother of god!" :) I thought the car was fast before, but now it feels like the front wheels aren't touching the ground (I know they are, but the steering gets sooooo light compared to before). I've never seen the end of my hood while I was driving prior to Tuesday. Looks like I'll be cranking the Teins down soon.:D

The 30-120mph sprint is borderline scary. It feels like the old 60-100. The front of the car lifts up, the speedo climbs at a constant rate (like it is trying to catch up to the sensor), and I'm sure the drivers seat has a permanent imprint now. 0-60 feels like when I'm riding my bike, except I have the stereo blasting, climate control set at 72, and heated seats. Otherwise, it is a completely different experience. If you have ridden a fast bike before, you probably know what I mean. I have spent the last three days driving around with a big goofy smile on my face :D I'm sure everyone looks at me strange until I disappear down the road.

I haven't seen the dyno graph yet, but the car produced 412rwhp on pump gas(93). It doesn't sound like much more than before, but it sure feels like it. I have this feeling the torque is more than the hp. The tec is helping to control the fuel system with assistance of the wideband, so AFR's are on the mark all the time.

Generally speaking, the car sounds much happier and healthier, like it isn't struggling at all, no matter how hard I push it. The engine noise seems to be reduced compared to before and the turbo and bov are much easier to hear. The bov sounds much crisper now, but that may be because of higher boost level. There are more gadgets and gizmos under the hood to learn about as well.

Traffic Monday night was horrible. It was icey and in turn I didn't get to drive the car much more than the trip home from PFS. On Tuesday night, the g/f and I went shopping and other than patches of sand EVERYWHERE, conditions were much better. She spent most of the time in the car meeping with her hands over her eyes asking me to not ever do that again. She said she didn't like it when the wheels spin. I think I've put about 120 miles on the car in the past few days and I still can't believe how much power there is. If the snow, salt, sand and rain would just go away for a few days, I can go and have some real fun. I might even be able to clean it. The snow and sand really stands out on the black paint. :pissed: :pissed: :pissed:

For all of you getting ready to ask how much this costs, it will be relative to what you want, but I can tell you that all of these items + installation + tuning can easily rival a stage 1 kit from just about anywhere. So, make sure you do your homework first to find out what you are getting into.

Of course, the results are all thanks to PFS. They really did a great job and as usual the results are better than I had expected.

I said this before and I have to say it again. . . I still grin ear to ear everytime I mash the gas pedal. It's just awesome!

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
wow.

and your car is still a sleeper(or does the exhaust really give it away?)

congradulations.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
you lucky mofo :chill: hf!

·
Registered
8,094 Posts
Wow sounds great! :eek: What kind of numbers are you putting down now? Ahhhh I can't wait to get my upgrades next week! :lol:

Nice writeup. I'd give you dots but everybody stole them.

edit: nevermind about the numbers, must have read over that part heh

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Well Happy Christmas to you man, Congrates that is sweet, what a great gift to yourslef... :D

·
Registered
243 Posts
Congrats! Nice little Christmas present to yourself!! I want to ask for a ride in that monster sometime, but then I'm gonna want to get cams too. Did you have cracked stock pistons, or did you just have them do TT internals while they had your engine apart?

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Lucky dog! Enjoy :D

I can relate to your fast bike feeling comment...yup.

·
Registered
552 Posts
makes me wanna boost even sooner...
<<<<<<jealous as folk

congrats bro. i'm suprised i haven't seen your car yet. hopefully i'll see it on the road one day.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
I think I just learned a new word that I'm going to use all the time..."meeping." :lol: My wife meeps a lot whenever my tires spin and I stomp it also :bitching:

Great ride up, I mean write up. The words really put me into your seat like as if I was actually driving it.

I can't imagine the feel of that much power. So do you have dyno numbers on C16 or CAM2?

-SXiS

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
So I went for a ride in the beast. Lots of torque. Shifting is awesome. They tuned it well, soft when driving like a normal human and shifts hard under full boost. Love it. Idles like a champ. Not even close to being as loud as Aldos, or Wino's. Happy Medium in my opinion. PFS exhaust looks and sounds good.

Its a real shame that the turbo porsche wouldnt play with us.

Now I just need to find the money tree so i can get this done too.

Again congrats.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks a lot guys. I've been having a lot of fun with the car this week. Let's hope the weather holds!

lt&b - pick a date. I can't wait to go!

turnip: That guy in the carrera was double our combined age.

I think I've changed my mind about the exhaust. It sounded great in the parking garage tonight. Managed to set off an alarm even. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts