Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m interested, just any questions I should ask the seller or things I should look for?

It currently has a 1JZ swap in it. Stock turbo, r154 trans, Cx intercooler, custom piping, mishimoto radiator, tien coilovers, custom HKS exhaust. Dude is asking $7500.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Seems like a pretty good deal…engine and trans are worth asking price alone. These cars don’t have a ton of inherent issues. Look at the front suspension (bushings and ball joints), rusty rocker panels, and make sure the climate control works (the servos go out). None of that stuff is terrible to fix, but are good haggling points. Look in the ecu box and make sure the swap wiring isn’t a complete shitshow, and see about how old the timing belt/water pump/front engine seals are.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seems like a pretty good deal…engine and trans are worth asking price alone. These cars don’t have a ton of inherent issues. Look at the front suspension (bushings and ball joints), rusty rocker panels, and make sure the climate control works (the servos go out). None of that stuff is terrible to fix, but are good haggling points. Look in the ecu box and make sure the swap wiring isn’t a complete shitshow, and see about how old the timing belt/water pump/front engine seals are.
Sounds good, thank you! I’m new to the 1JZ scenery. I know there’s 3 types of 1JZ’s if I’m correct. Which 1JZ is in this is 300?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Should I negotiate the price?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Have you drove it yet? The 1jz are old engines but still pretty good and reliable as long it's not neglected. It can take abuse pretty well. 7500 for that car is cheap compared to what people are asking nowadays. That engine and tranny now is probably worth more than the car itself. There is always room for negotiation since the asking price is 7500. But pricing that low raises red flags. Either something is wrong with the car or It's not complete and there are missing stuff. If nothing is missing or wrong....I would pay his asking price :).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you drove it yet? The 1jz are old engines but still pretty good and reliable as long it's not neglected. It can take abuse pretty well. 7500 for that car is cheap compared to what people are asking nowadays. That engine and tranny now is probably worth more than the car itself. There is always room for negotiation since the asking price is 7500. But pricing that low raises red flags. Either something is wrong with the car or It's not complete and there are missing stuff. If nothing is missing or wrong....I would pay his asking price :).
I have yet drove it.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I have yet drove it.
Check it out, drive it. If alls good, buy it. Like @DemonIs300 said, the price is almost too good to be true. Covid and dwindling supply has driven the JZ prices thru the roof. I’ve seen the engines sell for 4500 and the r154 for 2-3000. So I am banking on the car having some issues for the price. It’s going to up to you to decide if you can fix them, or do the issues make it a not so good deal?

Do you know much about working on cars? When you go check it out, tell the seller to not start it beforehand - like let it sit overnight. You want to see how easy it starts on a cold start. Look for any recently cleaned or shiny areas - these engines tend to leak from the front main, rear main, cam, and VVTi gear seals - not a deal breaker but areas that may need attention. R154 tend to piss gear oil from the rear pressure relief vent.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Make sure when you test it, don't baby it. Take it to higher rpms to see if it breaks up or misfires. See if the gears are grinding or slipping. Lastly, the R154 is not the smooths of transmission. It shifts like a truck and not buttery smooth so you can hear a clunk when you get into gear and go sometimes. Lastly, If you aren't handy or know how to work on cars, don't buy a car that need work regardless of how good of a deal it is. Most people that doesn't know much about cars buy cars that are cheap with "issues" thinking it's an easy fix based on the seller or other people's suggestion end up regretting it after dumping more money than they intend into it. I've seen this happen so many times on the IS300 FB group.

·
Registered
2005 Lexus IS300
207 Posts
I'm just hoping this wasn't a scam, I got offered that for my is300 and it aint even got a 1jz

1 - 12 of 12 Posts