Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It isn't often I pass through El Monte, but today I did. I decided to take advantage of the opportunity to see Longo's impressive inventory of 2002's.

I came across a Black 5-speed with the new leather interior and NAV. It also had a great looking rear spoiler. I asked the salesman for a test drive. He said ok. YIPPEEE!

This is by far the smoothest manual transmission I have ever driven. My father has a 2000 BMW 540i 6-speed. I used to think that car was smooth. The IS300 puts it to shame. The only word to describe it is . . . BUTTER! Plus, it was a joy to really be able to push that great engine and hold it in whatever gear I wanted. I realize you can do this with e-shift as well, but it is not the same without a clutch. I just really liked feeling like I was 100% in control of the car.

More about the spoiler. The dealer said that this is now a factory option. It is much different than any spoiler I ever saw on a 2001. I guess spoilers on 2001's are all after-market. The 2002 spoiler is more like the L-Sportline spoiler - smaller and tighter to the trunk. It also has the 3rd brake light neatly integrated; hense, there is no 3rd break light behind the rear window (don't you hate when an aftermarket spoiler tries to integrate the brake light leaving the car with 4 brake lights!). I think the spoiler was a $400 option on the sticker. The total MSRP was $37K and change.

The NAV system was very cool. I made the mistake of popping it up for the first time while on the test drive. Therefore, I could not really see it work since you cannot enter any information unless you are parked. Seeing it go up and down was cool enough for me!

I was all set to get one of the last 2001's. After driving the 5-speed, I think I will wait for a good deal on a 2002.

By the way, I think this ends the controversy about whether or not you can get a 5-speed with NAV and leather package. Since I was 3 at Longo, I think they are pretty much available.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Yep, that one is particularly cool looking. I had posted something about that a couple days ago, I too am very impressed with the spoiler and its design.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Question about the NAV:

Can you only enter information when parked? If so that sucks. I just drove my uncle's '00 Mercedes S430 and you could enter in information while driving. Messing around with his NAV system really sold me on the NAV systems, as I was unfamilar with the Coronado area. What functions did the NAV system in the IS300 let you do while driving?

·
Registered
38,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I popped the NAV screen up, there was some type of warning message filling the entire screen. The background was gray. I asked the salesman what it ment, and he said that it was telling me that I had to be parked to enter a destination. According to him, once you enter the info. (while parked) the NAV guides you while you drive and even talks to you. At the bottom of the message it said to hit Enter. Since I had heard that the IS300 system does not have a touch screen, I looked for and Enter button on the center console where all the NAV controls are. I only glanced quickly, but did not find such a botton. Keep in mind, I was on the freeway during rush hour on this test drive. I was really afraid of rear-ending the car in front of me as I screwed with the NAV controls. I don't like the fact that you really have to take your eyes off the road to look down at them. Maybe this is why you can't operate it while driving.

I too was disappointed that you could not enter destination info. while driving. I drove a rented Lincoln LS about 2 weeks ago. It had an aftermarket NAV system in it. I think Hertz puts it in many of there cars. Anyway, I was able to play around with it while I was driving. However, I must admit, it was very distracting to try and figure out what I was doing with the NAV and drive in LA traffic at the same time. Because of that experience, I was not surprised when the salesman told me the IS300 NAV system's limitations. I only questioned him once, and he snapped back that he had 2 Lexus automobiles of his own and they both had NAV that worked that way.

Oh well. I guess you are basically paying $2000 to have Mapquest in your car.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks for the response. The navigation in the Mercedes also talked. It was incredible. The car would tell you to prepare to take a right turn, take your second right, bear right, etc. It would let you know where to go without ever looking at the screen.

Hopefully the one in the IS300 will be worth the price.

·
Registered
195 Posts
that navigation sucks compared to the Acura's navigation system. ya I think there is no sense on getting a 2000 dollar mapquest in your car. I don't want to have to pull over on the side of a freeway traveling from town to town at night where some fools could jack me for my pimp ride.

I'll save the money the use it for a turbo system....ya right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts