Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just before I get flammed, (which why do people flame, this site is for questions and they had to be asked to be in the search in the first place...) BUT:

I get aweful gas milage, I am talking like 9-10miles a gallon! I filled up my tank completely full the other day and set my milage trip after filling up. Since then I have used half of my tank (9 gallons?) and only gone 85miles!

So my question is... If I take this to the dealer are they going to laugh in my face? Or is there some filter or sensor that could be checked to make my mpg better or anything?! The dealer new car tag says I should expect 18/23, but I am getting half of this! The car is a CPO and I just bought it in Jan 05. All I want to know is would the dealer be able to do anything? (Partially concerned because I am a teenager)

Oh and for the record I dont constantly redline or fool with the car (other then with eshift sometimes) but also I am no granny driver.

·
Registered
745 Posts
check your MAF and air filter...but that is really bad fuel economy. I get double that with all city driving

·
Garage Pit Crew Chief
5,631 Posts
:lol: sorry you had to put the "did the search" disclaimer out, but you gotta understand that people on the boards have seen the same qsn asked over and over and over again, which is why, its best to search for, and hence the flames.

back to your qsn. Since your car is a CPO, go straight to the dealer with this. I have a CPO as well, and I know if I had your issues, I would. Thats why we paid the extra 3K on top of a used car price.

There are a multittude of reasons that im sure many people here will chip in with. If you are stock, and have done nothing to the car, drop it off at the dealer , with some very annoyed words.

Get an RX as a loaner , and get a free tank of gas while THEY check ur sensors, etc. You paid in advance for shit like this happening.... how about you use it ?

Let us know what happens. besta luck with your car.

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
yeah, def clean the MAF sensor. did you change intakes or anything?

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
are you judging that you used half by the fuel gauge or did you go back and fill up your tank and verify that you used 9 gallons?

Halfway on the guage is not halfway of the tank.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
HoustonLex said:
are you judging that you used half by the fuel gauge or did you go back and fill up your tank and verify that you used 9 gallons?

Halfway on the guage is not halfway of the tank.
Either way, he should be averaging much better than 9-10 miles.

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
JDM_SXE-10 said:
Either way, he should be averaging much better than 9-10 miles.
Read. Think. Post.

In that order.

Where is he getting 9 gallons from? If he really only used 6 gallons, then he is getting close to 15mpg which is believable for around town driving.

It is quite possible that one has only used 6 gallons and yet the fuel gauge will show approximately halfway.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
HoustonLex said:
Read. Think. Post.

In that order.

Where is he getting 9 gallons from? If he really only used 6 gallons, then he is getting close to 15mpg which is believable for around town driving.

It is quite possible that one has only used 6 gallons and yet the fuel gauge will show approximately halfway.
What order again? I forgot because I don't usually do a lot of thinking.

Regardless, of my posting habits, the top half is usually larger than the bottom half since gas needles don't start to move until there is a significant reduction in consumption. Therefore, if the needle now sits at the halfway point on his gauge, this would give the indication that he has consumed APPROXIMATELY half of the contents, correct?

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
JDM_SXE-10 said:
What order again? I forgot because I don't usually do a lot of thinking.

Regardless, of my posting habits, the top half is usually larger than the bottom half since gas needles don't start to move until there is a significant reduction in consumption. Therefore, if the needle now sits at the halfway point on his gauge, this would give the indication that he has consumed APPROXIMATELY half of the contents, correct?

we can assume lots of things... but I would recommend that he fill his tank up again to verify how much gas he really used before taking it to the dealer and looking like a complete idiot.

We have people here telling him to clean his MAF sensor, take it to the dealer, hop on one foot and pray.... its all meaningless since he is GUESSING that he used 9 gallons of fuel.

+ or - 3 gallons makes a HUGE difference in the mpg and using the gas gauge and approximating closer than 3 gallons either way is near impossible.

·
Registered
656 Posts
You really need to calculate your mpg after you fill your tank back up, like HoustonLex said above, so you see how much you actually used. Just reset that trip odometer every time after you fill up, but pay attention to the exact number of gallons you put in to fill it back up and calculate before resetting it. I would go one more tank before you take it in for service using this method, and let the tank get closer to empty first to give a more accurate idea of your true mpg. If it comes up 9 or 10, then definitely take it in. I haven't averaged below 20 for a tank yet, even with little highway driving.

And I think the tank holds 17.5 gallons, so even using the 9 gallons as an estimate would be inaccurate. Like was said above, a few gallons used makes a huge difference.

·
Garage Pit Crew Chief
5,631 Posts
everytime i fill up, i note down the mileage on the car on the gas receipt that has the amount of gas pumped. pull out the pocket pc, do a qik calculation, and write down the EXACT mpg ( to 3 decimal points , bishes!!) that the car gave me for that fillup.

when i feel the need to check on my mileage trends, I simply pull out said receipts from armrest and compare.

Its a hell of a lot easier than carrying around a "gas log" book, and takes about 20 secs at the gas station. Try it.

·
Registered
661 Posts
amitkc said:
everytime i fill up, i note down the mileage on the car on the gas receipt that has the amount of gas pumped. pull out the pocket pc, do a qik calculation, and write down the EXACT mpg ( to 3 decimal points , bishes!!) that the car gave me for that fillup.

when i feel the need to check on my mileage trends, I simply pull out said receipts from armrest and compare.

Its a hell of a lot easier than carrying around a "gas log" book, and takes about 20 secs at the gas station. Try it.

I do this sometimes, im usually too lazy and in a hurry. But whats the point in doing it to the 3 decimal points if you top it off past the auto shut-off.

Then again, im just assuming you top it off, here in NJ I hardly ever touch the pump, its up to the attendant's descrection whether or not to add more gas or round it off.

·
Registered
23,822 Posts
I think caluclating to 3 decimal points is a little too precise there, Mr. Nash.

You can really only go to one decimal place, since our odometers only measure one place.

Digressing from 3rd grade math, dont use "halfway" to figure it out. Go full tank and see. What kind of driving do you mostly do? What kind of driving habits do you have? Auto/manual.

There are a lot of different variables here, so you'd have to elaborate a lot more to get a good response, as opposed to "your searching skills are sub-par" (which is my phrase damnit!)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts