Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was bored when I got off of work yesterday andI cut a gaping hole in my back deck!!!!!! I am planning on redesigning my rear deck with the 6X9's still being placed in the factory locations, dynamat extreme and a big port about 12" X 8". The rear deck is now going to be 3/4 MDF carpeted to match the original. I am going to put a pop put grill that you will be able to see the single 10" sub when it is removed, VIA acrylic. I did this with hopes to get more bass in the cab and increase SPL inthe cab. I have yet to build the box or purchase the 10" but I am just getting this out of the way. I have some pics but have not downloaded them yet anyone want to host them for me? The car still has no back seat in it, but that will be going back in the next few days. I will be putting the JBL GTO three ways in the factory locations. I will also be using the GTi 6 1/2 components in the front.

One thing that I did find was a repeater of some kind that recieves the signal for your keyless entry , from the factory, was mounted in the rear deck under the cover itself. I disconnected it to cut and did not reconnect it before I went home. Needless to say my keyless would not lock when I gout out of the car. All I had to do was reconnect it and wala! I just need to figure out where I am going to remount it. I have an aftermarket alarm so I am not sure if I even need to use it at all? Any answers out there, Lisnup65, What did you do?
Did you even cut your back deck?
Do I have to port my box with the sub and the port being on the same side?
Can I port the sub into the cab?
Will I get motor noise from the sub?
Suggestions..................................................................... :roll: :roll:

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
texis_300 said:
Well I was bored when I got off of work yesterday andI cut a gaping hole in my back deck!!!!!! I am planning on redesigning my rear deck with the 6X9's still being placed in the factory locations, dynamat extreme and a big port about 12" X 8". The rear deck is now going to be 3/4 MDF carpeted to match the original. I am going to put a pop put grill that you will be able to see the single 10" sub when it is removed, VIA acrylic. I did this with hopes to get more bass in the cab and increase SPL inthe cab. I have yet to build the box or purchase the 10" but I am just getting this out of the way. I have some pics but have not downloaded them yet anyone want to host them for me? The car still has no back seat in it, but that will be going back in the next few days. I will be putting the JBL GTO three ways in the factory locations. I will also be using the GTi 6 1/2 components in the front.

One thing that I did find was a repeater of some kind that recieves the signal for your keyless entry , from the factory, was mounted in the rear deck under the cover itself. I disconnected it to cut and did not reconnect it before I went home. Needless to say my keyless would not lock when I gout out of the car. All I had to do was reconnect it and wala! I just need to figure out where I am going to remount it. I have an aftermarket alarm so I am not sure if I even need to use it at all? Any answers out there, Lisnup65, What did you do?
Did you even cut your back deck?
Do I have to port my box with the sub and the port being on the same side?
Can I port the sub into the cab?
Will I get motor noise from the sub?
Suggestions..................................................................... :roll: :roll:
I love when people cut their cars up. :D

The module is the antennae for the factory keyless entry. To use the keyless you must have that plugged in.
I did not cut my dech as the rigidity of the vehicle requires all the support of the rear cross section.
You can have the port on any plane, just not directly behind the sub. The front palne or topical plane is the best as a rule of thumb.
You can port into the cabin, but remember that the port is a tuned frequency and it will bosst the freqs closest to it at a rate of 3-9DB depending on the port. That will mean a uneven bass reproduction as those center frequencies will dominate the remaining fregs the sub system is playing.

What motor noise!?

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SO BASICLY I SCREWED UP BY CUTTING THE REAR DECK?
What are the reprocussions?
I did not cut any of the welds on the rear deck, the support beam to the right side remains in tact and the metal for the support for the rear window and the rear seat remain in tact also..............I did this to still have the supports for the reardeck.

The motor noise that I am talking about is from the sub itself. I have been told repeatedly that this woofer has noise that is produced from the voice coil................

·
Registered
975 Posts
texis_300 said:
The motor noise that I am talking about is from the sub itself. I have been told repeatedly that this woofer has noise that is produced from the voice coil................
Which sub? You never mentioned the brand/model. I would assume, since all the other spks are JBL, this would be a JBL sub too. I LOVED my 1500 GTi...till it got stolen :(

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GTi 6 1/2 components/ GTO 6X9's and the GTi 10
Possibly going to use JBL amps also, or Pheonix Gold. Not sure yet. But the price is right on the JBLs.......but I love Phoenix Gold

·
Registered
495 Posts
i say youve done enough damage, take it to a shop and let them do your system for you. at this rate u will be unhappy if you do it yourself.

dennis

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am actually quite capable of installing stereo equipment in a car.
I was just informing others of my install. I was not aware that the back deck would have that large of a bearing on the structrual integrity of the vehicle. I know under cornering, hard cornering, tha tthe body does flex in those circumstances. ( the reasoning behind strut tower bars and how they help take the body roll our of the car.

Not to mention the numerous 4/6 c-notch drops that I have done on domestic trucks.

I think I will be very happy with my install, I have Car Toys to work at.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
texis_300
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing