Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad is really pissing my off. He's looking at a new car, he has ruled out the ls430, S500, and 740 just because they are RWD. I dont know enough about cars to put up a worth while argument against his theory. It only snows for about a month a year, at the most. There was only snow on the ground for a week last year.
So bassically, is AWD really necessary for NJ?
Thanks alot

·
Registered
258 Posts
I was afraid of the change to RWD too. If he puts some sandbags in the trunk he'll be fine. Once I did that I had no problems in the snow.

------------------
Stephen Withrow
[email protected]

98 Lexus LS400
97 Ford Explorer Limited

·
Registered
7 Posts
AWD is kinda like a cell phone. You could manage fine without one, but once you get to use one, you never wanna be without it.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
no, it isn't. besides putting weight in the trunk, make sure he purchases good snow tires, and he should be fine. most or all of those cars should have traction control available also, which will help.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Not really, but it won't hurt either. All the cars that you mentioned have some sophisticated traction systems all of which help in adverse conditions. They're not as good as AWD, but they're good enough for the snow that we get here in NJ.
He might want to look at the A8 or S8. Although they're due for a makeover soon, they have the all famous Quattro.
I'd go for the LS430 if it were my money.

black/ivory
17"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
6 Participants
hasanazhar
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing