Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 IS300 with 44,000 miles.

I know I am just a nervous idiot but I am concerned. Should I be?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
to my knowledge no, if its not too often shouldn't be a problem

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
its fine. Premium is recommended but even the owners manual says you can use lower grades if necessary. There is also a thread in the go fast stuff section where people are claiming no problems with using low grade for extended periods of time.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
SERIOUSLY!!! Your car will be ruined unless you quickly take a flint and get some sparks to fly into your gas tank. That will burn off the inferior gas. *

*please do not do this, you will die. Thank you

·
Registered
791 Posts
Go to Autozone and get a bottle of 103 Octane Booster. That'll fix it.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Just poor some VP C12 in your tank and you’ll be fine;). But for real, I would not worry about it.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Yeah no problem at all running mid grade unless you are seriously modded. I run the mid grade about %80 of the time. I've done data logs on this before to check the knock on there is no difference in running 89 for me.

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
i had to use 89 once in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Definitely not a problem occasionally but again, wouldn't want this thread to encourage people to run out and grab 89 and subsequently ruin their car

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Yeah I use diesel in mine cause its cheaper in my area. It does run kinda rough though? Not sure what the deal is?

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
I think you should buy a 2008 Chev Cobalt... in addition to you thinking it handles better than an IS300... you can also use 89 octane gas in it without causing problems! Not only that... but you can even go down to 87 octane. :blush:

·
Premium Member
7,619 Posts
^^^ Amen to that my Canadian bro!!! :lol:

Reactions: Crester

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think you should buy a 2008 Chev Cobalt... in addition to you thinking it handles better than an IS300... you can also use 89 octane gas in it without causing problems! Not only that... but you can even go down to 87 octane. :blush:
Thanks wise ass. This website use to be a place to help people but it is turning into a place to be a jerkoff. Thanks again.

But to the sincere posters I really thank you for the help

·
Banned
371 Posts
you're fine. just remember next time ;)

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Thanks wise ass. This website use to be a place to help people but it is turning into a place to be a jerkoff. Thanks again.

But to the sincere posters I really thank you for the help
Good/serious posts get good replies...

Silly ones get silly replies...

Starting a thread where you state a Cobalt drives better than an IS300... and then insisting that people don't bother to question your observation doesn't make sense. If you are that much of an expert... you shouldn't have to wonder if using 89 octane gas will kill your car.

Reactions: Tigger

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice way to set an example "Moderator"

And did I say anything about it killing my car. No. I said I was concerned. I even pointed out that I was mostly just being too nervous.

I bet your the same guy that says "do a search" instead of helping out a new member....

Lastly, it was not a silly question. It was a sincere question. I still stick to my point that the Chevy drove more secure on the highway. I am pretty close to being an expert on the IS300 since I have had two since 2001 and I know all the ins and outs of the car. My 2001 and 2004 drove the same and is jittery on the highway. I am not saying its not safe but it is not that secure.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
wow, its tough reading this bickering.

Anyway, the manual and my dealer guy said it is fine using middle grade when you have to although premium is recommended. There is no harm and you should be less worried. Gl in your IS300 endeavors.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Nice way to set an example "Moderator"

And did I say anything about it killing my car. No. I said I was concerned. I even pointed out that I was mostly just being too nervous.

I bet your the same guy that says "do a search" instead of helping out a new member....

Lastly, it was not a silly question. It was a sincere question. I still stick to my point that the Chevy drove more secure on the highway. I am pretty close to being an expert on the IS300 since I have had two since 2001 and I know all the ins and outs of the car. My 2001 and 2004 drove the same and is jittery on the highway. I am not saying its not safe but it is not that secure.
Well my serious answer is... having 89 octane in your car for one tank really shouldn't do anything to your car. Just drive it like normal and next time fill up with 91 or higher.

Driving a car for a long time does not automatically make you an expert. An expert understands how a car works... and why parts of it do what it does.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts