Lexus IS Forum banner

Hyundai builds an IS300 competitor?

2K views 40 replies 24 participants last post by  Timothy Coln 
#1 ·
Remember- people laughed when Lexus decided to take on Mercedes/BMW...

See less See more
#2 ·
so does that mean we can all laugh now???

------------------
2001 IS300 Graphite Grey
94 Supra TT/6-speed/HardTop
90 Integra
86 Corolla GTS (AE86)

#5 ·
Well, if my memory is correct, Hyundai until very recently bought technology from Mitsubishi. Hyundai cars were basically Mitshubishi cars with technology that Mitsu thought was OK to give away. Which meant that Hyundai was a car with 5-10 year old Mitsu technology in a different skin.

Well, look how well Mitsu kept their quality. (By hiding defects that should have been recalls.) I wonder how that would influence the quality of Hyundai cars.

In any case, if this was ANOTHER nose heavy FWD car, I will laugh.

#7 ·
One thing for sure, Hyundai is conquering... believe or not, i have seem more Hyundai than Hondas, Nissans and others cars in Austrialia, and i only know why.. even in the US market they offer 5years, 100,000mile trouble free services, and free oil change i believe.

#10 ·
IMHO, of any car company recently, Hyundai has done the best job of improving the looks of it's cars (ignoring the Tiburon abomination). This car looks pretty sharp. Sure it is not a lexus, but it might be attractive to someone without enough money for a true luxury sedan. If Hyundai's reliability improves (pretty bad historically), they could be (maybe already are) a serious contender in the auto market.

#11 ·
Originally posted by hurricane:
Hyundai has done the best job of improving the looks of it's cars (ignoring the Tiburon abomination). This car looks pretty sharp.
Well no kidding, there is no orginality in its design... Infinity Q45/I30/ Mitubushi Diamante styling cues...
Eric....

[This message has been edited by EricK (edited November 10, 2000).]

#12 ·
That car's actually a competitor for entry level luxury sedans, like Maxima, Infiniti I30, Acura TL, high end Accords etc. And remember Hyundai is a huge company, bigger than Toyota even, they have sea shipping companies, steel companies, semiconductor companies, so they will be a tough competitor - for the Nissans, Mitsubishis, Fords etc. They can't compete with Toyota or Honda yet. And their cars are way ugly, IMO.

#13 ·
Call me silly but I think it looks pretty good. I also think the Daewoo Leganza looks good for its segment. I wound't buy a Hyundai, but they have been making strides. The Santa Fe and XG are great bang for the buck, but their safety lags behind other cars in the same class.

#14 ·
Originally posted by Chiphead:
Call me silly but I think it looks pretty good. I also think the Daewoo Leganza looks good for its segment. I wound't buy a Hyundai, but they have been making strides. The Santa Fe and XG are great bang for the buck, but their safety lags behind other cars in the same class.
I'm with you Kota, so I guess I would be considered silly too

Eric....

#16 ·
Hey check it out, a car that is faster, larger, and has a better interior than the IS. It is probably time to start looking for another sucker to take your IS off of your hands so you can move up to a better car.
I know this guy just makes these posts to get a rise from us Is owners but I have to comment...

WTF posesses someone to waste their time doing something like that? Honestly. Give me your free time if you feel the need to waste it. If is people like that who seriously need to die because they serve no value to the world. I'm serious. I'd love to see this guy try to talk smack in person like he does here. I bet he'd be jizzing over the IS.

As for his post, that is funny how he can say it is faster and has a better interior having never even been in one. Oh and I like how he says it is faster yet it has less horsepower and torque and most likely weighs more.

Oh and the interior sucks. Saw a pic of it. Fake wood all over the place.

Damn this forum. Nothing but little punk 20 year olds acting like jackasses.

#17 ·
I would expect you all 'car enthusiasts' to know better...

The XG300 is meant to compete with the ES300. It's a family type entry-level luxury sedan...NOT a sport sedan.

XG300 vs ES300 vs 3.2TL vs A4 vs 325i vs I30 vs Catera vs C240

These are the competition Hyundai intended for.

#21 ·
Originally posted by ISsoon:
What happened to the name? All Hyundais so far have had an actual NAME that means something (assuming ELANTRA actually has a meaning).
The XG300 is called the XG Grandeur in Korea. Hyundai decided not to use the Grandeur name in America because it sounded a little too presumptuous.

It's main competitors in Korea are the Daewoo Arcadia (which is a rebadged 1995 Acura Legend), and the Samsung SM (which is a rebadged 1999 Nissan Maxima).

[This message has been edited by viggen (edited November 10, 2000).]

#25 ·
actually, i think this car has been available in korea for a while. now that i look at the rear of the car, i'm sure i've seen it in korea earlier this year. they actually have some great cars there...

------------------
2001 IS300 Graphite Grey
94 Supra TT/6-speed/HardTop
90 Integra
86 Corolla GTS (AE86)

#26 ·
Originally posted by HyperMKIV:
actually, i think this car has been available in korea for a while. now that i look at the rear of the car, i'm sure i've seen it in korea earlier this year. they actually have some great cars there...

It's been on sale in korea since 1999. My dad's company gave him one (along with a chauffeur).

Erick - the previous generation Grandeur looked EXACTLY like a 1998 Infiniti I30.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.