Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you drive the IS during the day, you'll notice the halogen daytime running lights, and while some may have some nostalgic clinging to those yellow suckers, I want something that matches the night time HID, so does anybody know if it can be changed to "hyper white" i.e. imitation HID bulbs for Civics, Integras, etc.?

·
Registered
594 Posts
I dont have an IS300, but I have fake HID's in my car. My experience is that you can BARELY tell that the light is on during the day cuz its so whitish. The DRL's on all cars now are yellowish for better visibility from other drivers. I have the Hiper Industries ones. Might look better on the IS300 cuz it has the crystal clear lense, where as in mine its the fluted look.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I believe that the DRL on the IS is also the high beam light bulb. It is just running at a low intensity (usually 60-80%). If you change the DRL bulb you are really changing the high beam bulb.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have changed my Highbeam/daylight runner bulb with an aftermarket Hyperwhite bulb. I really like the results. ISx300 is right about the visibility thing. You can't see the daylight runners nearly as much now that they are hyperwhites. But I don't really mind that since I simply don't like the look of daylight runners anyways. I got a bulb that when you turn on your highbeams it is the closest to the HID lighting of the low beam. In my opinion they look the best when your car is just parked. What I mean by this is when the car is just sitting there the reflection of the hyperwhite bulb gives a slightly bluish tint to the back of the headlight housing. (Which looks totally badass by the way) It really changed the personality of the front. FYI the bulb is a standard 9005 60-watt bulb. I got Nightvision bulbs and they were about 40 bucks.

check it out and let me know what you think

http://www.angelfire.com/mo2/silveris300/

Joel

·
Registered
387 Posts
When Helogan Bulb running at lower power (ie. DRL), they tend to be more yellowish and can even get close to "orangish". In order to counter that, you need a very strong blue tint on your high beam bulb in order to make it look white. But the downside is that the stronger the blue tint, the weak the light that comes out.

From my experience, PIAA's superwhite bulb doesn't work, because the blue tint on the bulb is not strong enough. If you really going for the look, I suggest you to find a stronger blue tint bulb.

For me, If I buy the IS300, I would turn on the headlight for both day and night, because I think HID looks much better!

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
JOEL
those pictures on your webpage are linked to your desktop so you may see it but noone else can, u need to upload those pics onto angelfire and link to the uploaded ones in order for us to see them.

The Don

·
Registered
202 Posts
Why not just yank out the DRL relay? That's what I did on my friend's GS. I hate DRL's anyway. I'll be yanking it out of my IS.

------------------
Dan
98 R #1054 (not for much longer)
Godspeed Inc.
[email protected]
(248) 478-4670

·
Registered
7 Posts
Originally posted by 99V6Coupe:
shadoh6,
Check out this person's website. he did a very nice job on his 3.2TL and drilled a hold in his housing to put the daytime running lights in there.

Oh my god, those are the ugliest wheels I have EVER seen. That TL looks descent with the subtle body kit, then the owner puts on those 400 lbs. chrome POS wheels. WTF?

·
Registered
841 Posts
I switched my day time running lights to those RAZO Hyper whites but they are still yellow. When you highbeam, then it is like HID's.

·
Registered
387 Posts
didn't I say the strong blue coding one the bulb is important?

The TL seems to have a very strong blue bulb inside the high beam housing. Anybody know what those bulbs are?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Originally posted by shadrach:
Originally posted by 99V6Coupe:
shadoh6,
Check out this person's website. he did a very nice job on his 3.2TL and drilled a hold in his housing to put the daytime running lights in there.

Oh my god, those are the ugliest wheels I have EVER seen. That TL looks descent with the subtle body kit, then the owner puts on those 400 lbs. chrome POS wheels. WTF?

Why would anyone want to modify an Acura TL to look like a bloated Civic????

Beats me.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts