Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got home and my neighbor took his older brothers Integra 5 speed to take his drivers test. lol he told me he failed because he shifted into neutral at a stop sign and the DMV guy said you have to stay in gear! how fucked up is that?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
What!?!? I don't understand that rule at all...what's the purpose?

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just went over to clarify with him. He shifted into neutral at the stop sign, he didn't coast in neutral. That is fucking BS I feel so bad for him.

·
Registered
78 Posts
flproject13 said:
I just went over to clarify with him. He shifted into neutral at the stop sign, he didn't coast in neutral. That is fucking BS I feel so bad for him.
WTF? That makes no sense - unless the examiner has no idea what a manual transmission is.... But then that would make no sense either....

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ISinDC said:
flproject13 said:
WTF? That makes no sense - unless the examiner has no idea what a manual transmission is.... But then that would make no sense either....
I told him to call the supervisor at the center he took test at and complain that the guy didn't understand what he was talking about.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HeHateMe said:
Well, technically would he be in neutral for the brief moments between gears anyways. :crazy:
ya I was like you should have said to him, so if I drive a manual transmission, technically I'm breaking the law?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
No, no, no, in driver's education they teach you that you are NEVER supposed to come out of gear unless changing them. The reason is because what happens if you need to move out of the way for police or ambulance. There are reasons they teach that and eventhough a lot of us seem to be pros at driving a 5 speed it's not always the correct way to drive it. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
807 Posts
I asked about this when I took my motorcycle test because it's a pain in the ass to keep the bike in gear and sit through a long light, but here's what they told me. If you are struck at an intersection (or really anywhere else) by another vehicle from behind and you have your vehicle in neutral, then the chances of you coasting forward after being stuck are very good. If you get hit from behind and roll out in to an intersection where the perpendicular traffic is moving at any rate of speed, you could be struck again causing yet another accident and further endangering you, your passengers, and the vehicles in the cross traffic. I know it seems silly, but it is a law for a good reason. I know this law exists in VA, GA, and MD, but I would venture to guess it is pretty much universal.

cyphertext69 said:
No, no, no, in driver's education they teach you that you are NEVER supposed to come out of gear unless changing them. The reason is because what happens if you need to move out of the way for police or ambulance. There are reasons they teach that and eventhough a lot of us seem to be pros at driving a 5 speed it's not always the correct way to drive it. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DarkStorm said:
I asked about this when I took my motorcycle test because it's a pain in the ass to keep the bike in gear and sit through a long light, but here's what they told me. If you are struck at an intersection (or really anywhere else) by another vehicle from behind and you have your vehicle in neutral, then the chances of you coasting forward after being stuck are very good. If you get hit from behind and roll out in to an intersection where the perpendicular traffic is moving at any rate of speed, you could be struck again causing yet another accident and further endangering you, your passengers, and the vehicles in the cross traffic. I know it seems silly, but it is a law for a good reason. I know this law exists in VA, GA, and MD, but I would venture to guess it is pretty much universal.

cyphertext69 said:
ya I can see where it makes sense but wouldn't you end up burning out the clutch if you did that constantly? :shame:

anyway lol I talked to him about this yesterday he is taking his test with an automatic corolla :lol: I told him if he failed that I would make fun of him for years to come :crazy:

·
Registered
807 Posts
flproject13 said:
DarkStorm said:

cyphertext69 said:
ya I can see where it makes sense but wouldn't you end up burning out the clutch if you did that constantly? :shame:

anyway lol I talked to him about this yesterday he is taking his test with an automatic corolla :lol: I told him if he failed that I would make fun of him for years to come :crazy:
:lol: The maintenance cost on vehicles travelling this great nations roads are probably not high on the list of concerns for the law makers. I would think that unless you were keeping your vehicle on a hill with the clutch instead of the brake all of the time that you would run through your clutch quickly, but if not then you should be okay.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
DarkStorm said:
flproject13 said:
DarkStorm said:

cyphertext69 said:

:lol: The maintenance cost on vehicles travelling this great nations roads are probably not high on the list of concerns for the law makers. I would think that unless you were keeping your vehicle on a hill with the clutch instead of the brake all of the time that you would run through your clutch quickly, but if not then you should be okay.
I think you are correct. I drove nothing but manual trans for 30 years, never pur one in neutral at a stoplight and never had a clutch go bad. Never did it with a motorcycle either. Maybe if one needs to do that, one has a wimpy left leg or left wrist and shouldn't be driving a vehicle with a clutch. :lol: :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts