Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I just installed my HP Racing header and midpipe and it is not as loud as I thought it would be but it sounds good with my HKS Hiper and factory resonator. RPMs climb way quicker, car feels faster. After reading all of the horror stories about header installs and having to drill out the holes in Toyomoto headers I was prepared for the worst but the install went well and was done, start to finish with O2 sim , in a little under 2 hours. I could probably do it again in 1.5 hours after the initial learning curve.

One good thing to do is to buy some PB Blaster (you can get this at Wal-Mart) and soak down all of the bolts and nuts (and O2 sensors) a few times and let sit overnight. This is the real deal where penetrant is concerned, one time and you will throw your WD40 in the tackle box where it belongs. No issues getting any of the bolts loose but I did end up pulling the exhaust manifold with the rear O2 sensor because it was impossible to get to. I didn't have anyone helping and after removing the ground wire was able to pull the exhaust manifold up through the top, a little fighting and crawling underneath to get perspective involved. I had the car on ramps so I could remove the midpipe and trans mount. Also make sure you use some anti-seize on the O2 senders before re-installing, make sure you apply it sparingly and just on the threads.

No interest for me but I purchased the header,midpipe, and O2 sim from Lexi at Hybrid Tuning, 540-659-4585, [email protected] . Great guys to buy from, they regularly post auctions on eBay with all of the above for $299.95 + $14.50 S/H, not too bad.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=33631&item=2447944052

I drove a buddy's IS300 with a 1st gen. Xerd and Greddy exhaust with an Injen intake, his CEL light and trac light were on and his car didn't feel as fast as mine before I put the header on but his car only has 4000 miles on it so maybe it really has not had a chance to break in :)

Thought I would share my experience to give some of you other DIY guys hope........it's not as bad as some others have made it out to be :)

Next project is Tokico springs and struts over Xmas holiday.............

Additional comments: I was reading through some of the old Toyomoto/HP posts and thought I would offer clarification on some things others had seen in the past.
I did not have to drill out the holes on the header and the fit was great, slid on as easy as the factory exhaust manifold came off.
I did not notice any smell after installation, I guess some have smelled the exhaust running a little richer after removing the cats.
I would advise removal of the lower ground strap first, it's not as easy to get to when you have the factory manifold off and realize that even though it did not look like it would be a hang up, it is (I have to learn the hard way)
Also, I guess this is optional but I had no problem re-attaching the trans mount bracket to the header/Y-pipe union, you just have to use one of the original bolts in place of the supplied stud and you can use a new nut to snug down the opposing side. I think this would eliminate the metallic clanking sound some have complained about in the past, I have noticed no metal sounds.
I have noticed the hissing sound and do not believe it is a leak but rather the increased velocity of the exhaust, not annoying once you are sure it is not a leak. I have to go home today and re-torque all of the bolts, I know in the past I have installed headers and the bolts do stretch and require tightening over the first week, no big deal.
Also, any grease/oil on your hands while you are handling the header will lead to discoloration as the finish cures, probably a good idea to wipe the header down with some brake cleaner to remove the grease/oil and then the chrome will cure evenly, kind of a blue/purple tint.
Car is lots more fun to drive and sounds awesome, I guess I am progressing into the mods point where the only thing left to do is add FI, maybe in a year or two.......:)

Bill

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
nice good to hear that :chill:

i am looking for some headers and race pipe soon so that is a little good writeup for me :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sound?

It sounds quiter than my friend's Xerd/Greddy combination but it does sound throaty and deep. Really don't even notice a difference at idle but when you hit the gas you know you have headers, not obnoxiuos or intrusive IMO but I am the same guy that had a Flowmaster and 3" exhaust on my wife's Volvo Turbo wagon :)

I will have to give you more feedback after I drive it more today, I only had time last night to drive it about 30 miles just to make sure it was all good, really have to watch the tach now, it climbs fast :)

·
Registered
457 Posts
sup

show me or tell me how to hook up the o2 sim.... :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
428 Posts
Danm. I cant wait untill mine arrives because I have been waiting for soo long. I just phoned up the guy I bought it from and he said he will look into it and see if anything has gone wrong with the package. Cant wait to get down and dirty and install the toyomoto :p . Hope you are enjoying it.

·
Registered
457 Posts
wrh3 said:
http://www.is300.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=13367680&highlight=O2+sim+wires

:)

The front O2 sensor plug is the one on top (there are two beside the water pump) and this is for the white, brown, and black wires.

The blue wire goes to the rear O2 sensor on the Y-Pipe.

Be sure to read the instructions twice and cut/splice once :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Edgy,

My car is an 02 5-speed and the instructions I got did not mention any difference between the auto vs 5-speed or any year to year difference.

The only con so far I can see about the header/y-pipe is that your gas mileage will go down because you miss the sound it makes when you are just coasting, I drive a lot harder now just to hear the motor :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.