Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do all companies publicize their hp figures at the crank? Or do some use the hp at the ground in their ads, reviews etc....

I know I phrased the question awkwardly but my friend as a C230 AMG Kompressor, and he says that he has 180hp at the ground, he also said that when talking about Benz hp figures they are at the ground?

Simpler question...the new M3, 330hp, is that at the crank or at the ground?

·
Registered
250 Posts
I think that you will find that all manufactures list engine horsepower measured at the crankshaft. TYPICALLY the only folks who advertise in rear wheel (OK I guess that there may be a few folks with front wheel power that are concerned with HP as well) HP are the tuners. They tend to document their improvements on a chassis dyno so the only measured numbers they can document are those - they don't usually pull the motor just to determine ctank HP.

Anyway - I don't know about that specific model, but all of the MB literature I have seen lists crankshaft HP. If memory serves me (granted that is rarely the case) the 1999 C230 Kompressor had 185 HP and just a little more torque at the crank. It would not suprise me if the AMG version was able to put 180 to the ground - that equate VERY ROUGHLY to 215 at the crank assuming a manual trans.

Terry

Terry

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes, they are measured at the crank, Take my 98 Toyota supra it makes 320 hp. when it was bone stock it did 289 RWHP. Now with some parts it does 400 Rwhp and 410 Rwtq which would be about 450-475 crank. However in terms on MB. He is feeding you some BS. My father has a new S500 which is 300+ hp and it nothing close to that. Usualy you have a 15% loss for a manuel and a 20% loss for a auto. So take the new M3 330 - 15% should be 281hp at the rear wheels. I hope that this helps

·
Registered
59 Posts
hp is usually listed as "BHP" meaning at the brakes, B stands for brake. years ago, in the 60's and earlier, it was at the crank and nobody knew what they got at the brake/wheel and grossly exagerated numbers were usually quoted.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I do remember that the some old muscle car horsepower numbers were exagerated, it is my recolection that they also measured without any of the nomral operating systems of the car on those motors, i.e., waterpump, engine fan, alternator... I belive that now these test are more regulated, horsepower #s are still measured at the crank, just with all the systems working. This is just my recolection.
Originally posted by sigss:
hp is usually listed as "BHP" meaning at the brakes, B stands for brake. years ago, in the 60's and earlier, it was at the crank and nobody knew what they got at the brake/wheel and grossly exagerated numbers were usually quoted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Originally posted by sigss:
UMMM....i thought the 'b' in bhp stood for break horsepower...meaning hp from the engine?

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
numbers for manufacturers are almost always posted with crank hp.. the reason your friend might say the AMGc230 puts down so much rwhp is because mercedes tends to underrate their engines...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts