Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got into an accident with my friend's BMW 330ci. Since I was driving her car and the cause of the accident was due to an animal in the middle of the road. (the car in front of me braked hard and I would not stop on time and caused me to rear-ended the vehicle in front) How would this influence my insurance rate? The police officer took my license, but did not issue me with a ticket. Are they going to report to my insurance company?

·
8,880 Posts
Cops will not report it to the ins co, however insurance companies occasionally check your record.

Call your friend's ins co and talk to them first.
From what I understand, they may want your insurance to cover the damages, maybe a portion of them (liability).

Your insurance rate may not go high up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for your information. has this ever happened to anyone here? did your insurance company did anything to your rate?

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
you'll be using her insurance...

you are not required to have insurance to drive someone else's car... so basically your insurance has nothing to do with that accident.

As far as being liable, you are required to pay whatever her deductible is, otherwise she can sue you for the entire repair amount.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys. And yes, I will be paying for her deductible as well as her insurance increment for the next 2 years after the lease is up on this car. <--- I am assuming only her insurance rate for the 330 will increase and will not influence the rest of her policy right? Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
You can use your insurance to cover her car since you were the driver and she can sue to have your insurance pay for repairs. If she reports it on her insurance her rates will definitely go up cuz she is letting other drivers use her car which insurance companies do not like at all. If you're a true friend, use your insurance to repair her car so that her rates do not get increased, why should she have to pay for YOUR ACCIDENT!

I know 1st hand cuz my cousin wrecked my teg and since it was family I said don't worry I'll just use my insurance. When my renewal came up :eek: my rate was increased and I was :pissed:

And yes it can affect her total policy if she's a driver listed on any other cars. Insurance companies will assume if you let someone drive 1 car then you'll let them drive the other cars also. It's a way for them to get more money from you.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
what state are you in? Depending on the state, the claim may go against your insurance or against your friend's. With my insurance in texas, if I make a claim for a collision that is over $1000, the collision (only) part of my insurance goes up by 15% for 3 years. If you have multiple claims then you can see big increases.

·
Registered
487 Posts

oki heres the deal bro. dont use any insurance.. pay out of pocket and it will be cheaper then paying the insurance rise for the 2 years :chill:

·
8,880 Posts
Re: ..

neiiy69 said:
oki heres the deal bro. dont use any insurance.. pay out of pocket and it will be cheaper then paying the insurance rise for the 2 years :chill:
Thats a very poor advice. :shame: Insurance increase will be far less than the damage. :roll:

·
Registered
487 Posts

well in nj it would be worth it... if your at fault in the 3 years ur insurance is higher they get 2 times what they had to pay for 8)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts