Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I am considering purchasing the IS300 but I am concerned with using it in the snow because it is rear-wheel drive. I used to have a rear-wheel drive Mustang and hated driving it in the snow. Snow tires help somewhat but basically any throttle spins the tires.

The IS uses the TRAC system and a limited-slip rear differential, but how will these assist in the snow? I am curious if anyone has driven one in the snow yet.

(I live outside of Chicago, and it snows plenty here)

E-mail me at [email protected] with comments. Thanks.

The Mango

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
With the performance tires it should pretty well suck in the snow. Most people here are opting for 16" rims and snow tires. Others have a 4 wheel drive to help them through the winter.

The LSD and Trac are more for handling than winter traction.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Mango,
I'm in Chicago suburbs too.
I just bought some cheap rims (Sport Edition Valores) and Blizzaks (MZ 01) from Tire Rack for my winter driving. The recent frost this past weekend got me into winter preparation mode. The Traction control would help in the sense that it would take away power from the slipping wheel. LSD won't really help for winter driving it's really for those agressive drivers that want to power through a corner.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
The snow mode should help a bit too....

I always say that if you drive a rear-wheel drive car, you really should learn how to drive the car in reverse......Helps a great deal in the winter months!!!!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
the dealer i bought my IS from put together a winter package which they give you the 17's but change the tires. only $750 too. Even though the sport tires would have been better, i need snow tires for the frozen tundra of new jersey.

·
Registered
861 Posts
NJ here to... same problem's with snow but what i want to know is what dealer did you get your lexus from???? I Got mine from Defeo.... and could you explain aliitle better about the package.. thx

Martin

Black/Ivory IS300

Originally posted by zachase:
the dealer i bought my IS from put together a winter package which they give you the 17's but change the tires. only $750 too. Even though the sport tires would have been better, i need snow tires for the frozen tundra of new jersey.

·
Registered
537 Posts
With a switch to snow tires the IS should do fine in the snow. After all, it's got a lot going for it: limited slip diff, traction control, snow mode, and then the snow tires. This is head and shoulders above the '83 Regal that I drove for 5 years in Minnesota winters with all-season tires. And that car never gave me major traction problems. Prior to my IS I drove a '96 Blazer for 5 years. Most of the time I left it in 2WD mode and it did fine too (it had Wrangler RT/S tires and LSD)

Contrary to popular opinion, rear wheel drive cars aren't so bad in the snow. They take a different driving style and a little more finess, but they do fine. They did fine for many years before FWD became popular. Certainly, sporty cars with wide, low-profile, dry-traction tires are not optimum, but it's the tires and not the car that causes it.

The only thing that the IS may have against it is ride height/ground clearance. But getting hung up in 6+ inches of snow is a whole different ballgame than the traction and handling issues that most people worry about.

Waiting for winter...
Rob

------------------
2001 IS300
Spectra Blue Mica/Ivory
LS, LD, HH, SR, 17" wheels
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
4.7L, QuadraDrive, UpCountry
Patriot Blue, Fully loaded

·
Registered
45 Posts
Try putting some weight in your trunk, a couple hundrend pound, that usaually makes rear drive cars much easier to drive in the snow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts