Lexus IS Forum banner

how weak is weak?

5K views 45 replies 28 participants last post by  picus 
#1 ·
Hey, first time poster here. I'm definitely in the market for the new IS, and will probably make the leap next spring (after the brutal winter, and prices hopefully are flexible). I've been reading everyone's impression of the IS250, and most have said it noticeable weak. I drive a WEAK car right now, so anything I get will be an upgrade; the main reason why I want a new car is so I it doesn't take me 15 seconds to reach 60. But do you feel the IS250 is just weaker than you are used to, or is it weak for a $33K car? I know I'll have to test drive it myself to surely know, but I'm scared to right now in case my self-control crumbles and I buy one on the spot!

#2 · (Edited)
In my opinion the IS250 is not a rocket... but it's still adequate for daily driving. It still has more power than you "need". But if you want your head to be thrown back... get the IS350.

Just outta curiousity... what was your previous car?

#4 ·
220 at 3600 is weak :) for a 33k car. put it this way dont plan on beating anyone of the lite. What are the offical 0-60s? 8 ? 8.5?

#5 ·
7.5-8.3 is the general spread, that includes all models (rwd auto/mt, and awd), with the awd being at the back end of that spread. The IS250's engine is only "weak" when you compare it to cars in it's segment. Taken generally it is more than enough car for a daily driver, and still definitely enough to have fun in.

#8 ·
you should get an IS300. the 350 is to damn expensive and looks like a fleet car (250, 350, gs, they all look alike). anyway you cant beat the original looks of the is300 and it has plenty of motor and will let you have more fun than the 250, just my 2cents.

#9 ·
gunzed said:
But do you feel the IS250 is just weaker than you are used to, or is it weak for a $33K car? I know I'll have to test drive it myself to surely know, but I'm scared to right now in case my self-control crumbles and I buy one on the spot!
Hold your thoughts till you drive it. I felt that IS250 slower then my 4-cylinder Accord.

That was not acceptable for me, but I have heard that RAV is quite underpowered, so you might find IS250 is OK. As it was said above, you might consider IS300, it will give you much more fun at much less money plus because of Lexus reliability you can not to worry about older car issues.

#10 ·
gunzed said:
Hey, first time poster here. I'm definitely in the market for the new IS, and will probably make the leap next spring (after the brutal winter, and prices hopefully are flexible). I've been reading everyone's impression of the IS250, and most have said it noticeable weak. I drive a WEAK car right now, so anything I get will be an upgrade; the main reason why I want a new car is so I it doesn't take me 15 seconds to reach 60. But do you feel the IS250 is just weaker than you are used to, or is it weak for a $33K car? I know I'll have to test drive it myself to surely know, but I'm scared to right now in case my self-control crumbles and I buy one on the spot!
if 0-06 is your benchmark for justifying to purchase a car that is worth more than $33k, the IS250 is not for you.

#11 ·
I'm not positive, but I believe the op was merely curious about the 0-60 time. I don't think he is basing his decision completely on it. :)

I'm in the "drive is and decide" camp. Coming from a RAV4 you might just find the IS250 has more than enough kick for you.

#12 · (Edited)
gunzed said:
haha, I got a Toyota Rav4. I got it for AWD, and it could hold all my stuff in it for college. Time for a change though no doubt.
DONT BUY A 250, if you want to beat a late model RAV4. The RAV4 has a 0-60 of 7.8. The IS250 has a 0-60 of 7.9-8.3.

http://motortrend.com/roadtests/suv/112_0503_pc_suv/index4.html

Maybe new tests will comeout, but so far those are the only numbers that I have heard of. I have not heard of a 250 getting to 60 in 7.5 secs.

IMO though, the 250AWD doesnt Feel as slow as it actually is.

#13 ·
n2knee said:
if 0-06 is your benchmark for justifying to purchase a car that is worth more than $33k, the IS250 is not for you.
Engine power isn't my only criteria for picking a car, and I really like all the features of the IS plus the reliability of lexus. I'm definitely not going to base my decision solely on the 'kick' of the car, but I do think it is important. Isn't that why all the high-end luxury cars have V-8 or even bigger engines. Do you think people would pay $80K for a BMW 7-series if it had a 4 cylinder engine?

#14 ·
gunzed said:
Engine power isn't my only criteria for picking a car, and I really like all the features of the IS plus the reliability of lexus. I'm definitely not going to base my decision solely on the 'kick' of the car, but I do think it is important. Isn't that why all the high-end luxury cars have V-8 or even bigger engines. Do you think people would pay $80K for a BMW 7-series if it had a 4 cylinder engine?
Well, the only way you're going to get a stick or four wheel drive on an IS, is with the IS250. Look at it this way; are you going to be drag racing or do you want a stylish, reliable, comfortable, fun, upscale car? If the latter, start making a list of candidates. Seen the Honda Civic SI yet (available next month)? That might be quicker...

#15 ·
As the proud owner of a manual is300 I don't think I can take a stab at my pride, or ego to take a step down to the 250 powertrain. I would love to have the 350 if it was offered as a stick I would have done it last week. If you compare actual numbers the 250 and the 300 are very comprable. Not that our car (the 300) is a rocket either. and stock does not feel very fast. The reality of the matter is that I owned a 99 civic si gutted out, with loud straight pipe, headers, intake, and cam work yet I got my ass handed to me by a stock IS. I pulled over and realized that as I was blowing on my windshield hoping that that would make my si go faster, the guy in the IS did it sitting on leather seats, a 6cd changer, and with the A/c blowing at him.

Needless to say I got an IS.

Long story short...go test drive the 250, 300, and 350 they are all going to be great choices that are leaps forward in power, luxury, acd class from your rav4. besides you can pick up a used IS w/low miles for about 20K and then you will be in the 33K class with a 20K payment!

#16 ·
Drove the automatic IS250. Not exciting at all. The acceleration is pretty bad compared to IS300. The numeric figure is very different and the feeling is very weak. You see the engine try to push a heavy car with high rev but the speed is just not there. The IS300 has much stronger low end torque with a lighter body. This is very critical for normal driving.

Honestly IS250 is a total different car compared to IS300. Lexus make it more luxo and quieter to attract more mature shopper. They need their loyal (old) customer to by IS to make 40,000 cars per year. The avg age I guess will jump from 29 (real IS300 number) to 45 (my guess).

I like the IS300 more unless the MT IS250 changes my heart. :bigSmile:

#17 ·
buy a turbo is300, you wont be disapointed

#18 ·
gunzed said:
Engine power isn't my only criteria for picking a car, and I really like all the features of the IS plus the reliability of lexus. I'm definitely not going to base my decision solely on the 'kick' of the car, but I do think it is important.
didn't you just state this?

the main reason why I want a new car is so I it doesn't take me 15 seconds to reach 60
basically your primary concern is the 0-60 of the car and not the overall driving dynamics of the IS250. why not get the IS350? it has the 0-60 of a V-8 and the reliability/build quality that is expected from a Lexus. in my opinion, the IS250 was not meant for the performance oriented crowd, hence there is the IS350. i think it was meant for most people who are looking for some luxury and those extra "must have" gadgets without breaking their bank accounts. A LOT of these people don't care how fast they can go from point A to point B. they care about the reliability and build quality of the car.

gunzed said:
Isn't that why all the high-end luxury cars have V-8 or even bigger engines. Do you think people would pay $80K for a BMW 7-series if it had a 4 cylinder engine?
you are comparing apples to oranges. now you're talking about an $80k car (a high end luxury vehicle) versus the price of the IS250, which is around $33k (an ENTRY LEVEL luxury car). both cars have different leagues of buyers. both cars were designed with different purposes in mind. certainly, no car manufacturer will produce a four cylinder car and price it at $80k, but there are four cylinder cars that are priced close to $33k and people still buy them.

with all that said, if you don't want to get the IS350 and dread the slow 0-60 of the IS250, why not get the G35? in my opinion, it's fast and have a nice interior.

#20 ·
n2knee said:
didn't you just state this?

basically your primary concern is the 0-60 of the car and not the overall driving dynamics of the IS250. why not get the IS350? it has the 0-60 of a V-8 and the reliability/build quality that is expected from a Lexus. in my opinion, the IS250 was not meant for the performance oriented crowd, hence there is the IS350. i think it was meant for most people who are looking for some luxury and those extra "must have" gadgets without breaking their bank accounts. A LOT of these people don't care how fast they can go from point A to point B. they care about the reliability and build quality of the car.

you are comparing apples to oranges. now you're talking about an $80k car (a high end luxury vehicle) versus the price of the IS250, which is around $33k (an ENTRY LEVEL luxury car). both cars have different leagues of buyers. both cars were designed with different purposes in mind. certainly, no car manufacturer will produce a four cylinder car and price it at $80k, but there are four cylinder cars that are priced close to $33k and people still buy them.

with all that said, if you don't want to get the IS350 and dread the slow 0-60 of the IS250, why not get the G35? in my opinion, it's fast and have a nice interior.

I think the interior of the G35 is garbage compared with the new IS

#21 ·
Even if you don't think 200+ on a 3500lb car is weak now, what about later? A few years down the road? I didn't think my IS300 was underpowered at all, but look at all these cars nowadays making 250horses makes me a little sad :( After sitting in a 300hp+ car I think you would too.

I just wanna point that out so that you won't regret the purchase later.

Not talking down IS250 cuz my IS300 aren't any faster, but you will very quickly get used to 200horses and would want more. I don't street racing, but seriously, in a few years, you are NOT going to outaccelerate any car respectable other than corollas and hyundais (new civic si will be faster).

If all that is ok with you then be my guest, buy the is250.

#23 ·
It's all relative. Slow is fast to some. And fast is slow to others. When I was researching the IS300, I figured 215 horsies was plenty fast for me. (But the main competition was a Corolla. haha) Then I register for this forum and everyone's whining about how slow this car is. And quite justifiably.

But you know what. I don't race. I hardly ever go past 3500 rpms when I'm driving (and I'm 19 for crying out loud). But I don't care. Because when I'm jamming to an 8-speaker, 240 watt sound system (and the sound system is like twice as good now!), or when I'm feeling every single g on those curvy turns with all the confidence in the world, and sitting in seats that won't break my back even after hours of driving, I want the ride to last as long as possible.

But that's just me. No matter what you choose, just make sure your choice fits you.

#25 ·
The fact that make me mad is Lexus pricing the IS250 with similar price as IS300 with less features and performance. A 33K 2005 IS300 has better feature and performance than a 33K 2006 IS250. It is right that you can load up a IS250, but that may push the price to 40K.

I will have no complaint if Lexus upgrades IS250 to IS300 with the GS engine in near future.

To answer the original question: It is weak as a 33k car. I believe only the MB C230 is weaker. Don't flame me with Lexus is more reliable, prettier, blah, .....

#26 ·
It's definately and noticably slower than it's competition (e.g. BMW 325i, Audi A4, etc). But IMO, it still had enough power, and it really felt like it had more get-up-and-go than the claimed 7.9 second 0-60 time would suggest. I left feeling pleasantly suprised when I test drove the 2WD IS 250. I suggest you give the car a chance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.