Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Blue Devil
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i need wiring help, PLEASE

i have an '01 IS300. cloth, manual seats.

purchased leather/suede seats (not sure what year they came out of), and i can't figure out the wiring for the life of me!

:frustrate

·
Blue Devil
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
come on south florida guys!!! :)

·
Blue Devil
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gunna bump this up again hoping someone more electrically inclined than i am will see this :)
i'll drive to you, AND i'll bring a case of beer

·
Blue Devil
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nah :disagree: but DC5ROY was thankfully able to figure it out with the use of the very INVALUABLE multimeter :)

i have 5 wires coming out from under the carpet, but 2 wires on 1 plug and 3 wires on another plug.
and then there's 1 plug with 5 wires under the seat.

pretty easy, 5 wires and 5 wires, right? well 3 of the wires on each side are color-matching. the other 2 from the carpet and from the seat don't match. so i could have spent hours guessing what wire is what, at the same time not even knowing if any of the wires coming from the carpet even get power (since all cars were pre-wired for everything, could be that those wires, even though they're there, weren't actually connected to anything "live" on the other side)

so thanks to Roy and his multimeter, we quickly figured out which wire had CONSTANT power (power even when the car is off), and which wire was ground.

to figure out the constant power, we put the positive lead of the multimeter on the each of the wires from the car, and put the negative lead on the metal hook that's on the frame of the car where your door latches on to. (you put the multimeter on AC voltage reading).
only 1 of the 5 wires gave us a reading on the multimeter.

once we knew which wire had power, we kept the positive lead on that wire and then put the negative lead on each of the 4 remaining wires, and only 1 of them gave us a reading on the multimeter, clearly making it a negative.

then from the seat, 2 out of the 5 wires were thicker. 1 white, and 1 white/black. i had previously read on a thread that on the seats, WHITE = power and WHITE/BLACK = ground. so we tried that first, and what-do-you-know??? IT WORKED!

(the other 3 wires gave us power when we turned the car on, but we didn't need to do anything with them. they may be for heated seats, but that's irrelevant for me :))

Reactions: rvalero

·
Blue Devil
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
and good thing we've already figured this out, cuz with NOBODY pitching in any help all weekend, and then you coming in here and making a stupid comment Ray, i woulda been verrrrrrrrrrrrrry upset!!!!!!!! ;)

·
Registered
534 Posts
and good thing we've already figured this out, cuz with NOBODY pitching in any help all weekend, and then you coming in here and making a stupid comment Ray, i woulda been verrrrrrrrrrrrrry upset!!!!!!!! ;)
Well atleast you got it. If it came to it I woulda tried and helped. Everything I know, I've learned from poking around and eventually getting it. Lol.

Who needs instructions? Real men break things while trying to get them to work, then fix it with duct tape =)

·
Blue Devil
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hahaha. good thing you spelled "duct" tape correctly ;)

multimeter saved my A$$!

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
I'm glad you got everything working. Were you able to move the pins to match the plugs/sockets, or did you have to hardwire?

·
Blue Devil
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm glad you got everything working. Were you able to move the pins to match the plugs/sockets, or did you have to hardwire?
by the way, forgot to mention, all of our findings so far were for the passenger seat ONLY. i'm sure figuring out the driver's side will be much easier now.

to answer your question:
there were 2 harnesses coming out of the carpet (one with 2 wires, one with 3 wires), and 1 larger harness with 5 wires coming out of the seat. so i wasn't able to actually plug anything into anything else.

i had already cut and stripped the 5 wires on each side, so when Roy started helping me, we just tested the wires with the multimeter. had we done that from the beginning, i could have probably left one of the harnesses intact, and only cut and stripped the 2 wires i needed on each side.

so we wired the 2 wires to each other directly using butt-connectors (i would have liked to solder them, but for the little that these seats will actually be moved, i think it'll hold up just fine). and i wrapped the other 3 wires on each side with electrical tape.

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
Reactions: LO 21

·
Blue Devil
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^^^ yep, thank you! i had actually seen that a while back when i first thought of doing the interior swap. and i remember seeing your pictures. they make a lot more sense now that i've seen it in person for myself.

like Dezod commented in that thread about your pictures, the clip in question that gives power to the motor functions is the larger harness with 5 wires. it seems like your picture was taken from the rear of the seat facing forward? the yellow is obviously airbag, not sure what the small white one is though.

i noticed that besides the large white harness (5 wires) that powers the motor functions of the seat (not pictured), there are 2 small white harnesses that both go to the seatbelt clip. i think the one in your picture might be one of those.

oh, and good piece of information, the seatbelt clip on 02-05 seats is different than the 01. my seat belt didn't fit into the clip of the newer seats, so i had to swap it out with my 01 clips

·
Registered
6,193 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hi, I am sat in my car now, trying to find out where i went wrong, thought i had my drivers seat all ready to hook up with just the power and ground, get it in, have to change my plug for seat belt, and find out that the seats move up and down in front and back, reclines but dont move front to back. I am stumped. Someone please help. I have a 03 sportcross and installing full leather with ECU.

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
Hi, I am sat in my car now, trying to find out where i went wrong, thought i had my drivers seat all ready to hook up with just the power and ground, get it in, have to change my plug for seat belt, and find out that the seats move up and down in front and back, reclines but dont move front to back. I am stumped. Someone please help. I have a 03 sportcross and installing full leather with ECU.
See post 13 for more info.

Here's an image from my pdf manual.

·
Blue Devil
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^^^ bro, that's chinese to me. can you call me up and run me through it.

i usually get shit pretty quickly (i went to duke ;)), so i'm sure it wont take long if you understand the diagram cuz i'm not really following the terminology and what the diagram is "trying" to tell me.. :(

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
I'm no expert when it comes to wiring, so I would wait until somebody with experience chimes in. However, from my understanding, you have continuity when a complete path for current exists.

Here's a simplified example:

My friend asked me to connect an aftermarket foglight switch to the harness of the headlight stalk on his Camry. The DIY showed that the fogs would turn on when you have continuity between 2 wires. Let's just say you have a plug with 4 wires, and that you need 1 and 3 to meet for the fogs to turn on. The pins will be numbered 1-4. When you let two wires connect to each other, you have continuity, and the fogs turn on. To test this I jumped 1 and 3. As soon as the wires saw each other, the fogs turned on.

In the first image posted, I believe that it shows the positions of the slide switch.

[1]&[9] = seat moves forward
[4]&[6] = Off

[1]&[6] = seat moves back
[4]&[9] = Off

Again, I'm not an expert, and hopefully somebody with more knowledge than myself will chime in to explain it better.

·
Registered
135 Posts
If you go by the schematic in service manual, The 3 inputs need to be wired to power, i used seperate fuses that way if one motor goes it will take out only the one fuse for that direction. The thing that got me originally, was the brown wires are not connected to the common ground of the seat, so will need to be joined with the ground wire used for main ground, the rest of the brown wires are all tied together. this will allow you manual control of the seat. I still need to work on getting the heated seats wired up, didnt have time for it then. as well as memory for the seats. I will probably use a Ethernet cat5 cable as there are enough wires there to run to the connector on the memory control switch.
Wish me luck, it may be a while before i get a chance to try but will update as i do it.
For now i have to try to work on spending more time posting here so i can get access to used parts, cant afford new ones right now :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.