Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Does it annoy you that you can't turn your fog lights on by them selves? The IS requires you to have the headlamps on before you can switch on the fogs. This quick mod will bypass that check, and allow for the fogs to be on by themselves.

ratchet with 10mm fitting, wire strippers, crimping tool, fuze puller or tweezers plus 12" of 16 gauge wire, 1 female wire spade
2/5
About 15 minutes

Thanks to TEG who originally thought up this idea, and to UCLA-IS300 for his revisions.

For a optimal connection at the fuse, use the BUSS mini-add-a-circuit device. You will need to pick up another 7.5A ATM fuse and you won't need wire. See the posts in the thread, but it will look like below.

Attachments

·
Blue Glowie
3,769 Posts
Good question.

It is always a good rule of thumb to disconnect the negative battery terminal when working on any car wiring and electronics.

·
Registered
155 Posts
great mod!

Tried the mod, and completed it in about 35 min. I also noticed that if you push the whole fuze panel up and out towards the drivers side it should release a lot easier to give more work room for releasing and re-inserting the relay. The hook like fastener is made of plastic so, pushing up slightly and out towards the driver side will help prevent the fastener from snapping.

·
5,207 Posts
I just performed this mod in under 20 minutes, real easy to do, not to mention it looks great. Just to clarify for anyone else, though, it's 2 bolts total, one on the top and one on the bottom.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I was going to ask about this.. I saw someones white IS here with the fogs on without the headlights and I couldn't get the one I test drove to do it.

Now I see, great DIY! :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Mine took me only 20 to 30 mins, I luv it, it look soo agressive... it reminds me of the AE86 Dritter, hhahaha, thanks to the guy who made this post.

·
Formerly known as 01WaIS
635 Posts
^^Yes, they will stay on when the car is off. A note for some of the newbies, after you pull the kick panel out of the clips, it is also held in by a plastic bolt thingy towards the front of the car that you can easily twist off with your hands. (I knew it was there, just noticed it is not stated in the DIY)

·
Registered
28 Posts
great mod

Great mod. Took 15 minutes to do. However, instead of just wrapping wire around the fuse it is much easier and safer to just go to a local auto store and pick up and add a circuit kit. It plugs right into the fuse block and the wire is actually spliced and not just wrapped around the fuse.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Took me about 5 minutes...really easy mod and gives it a different look without your headlights on... :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
I did all of this and when the car is on I cannot turn the fogs off. The switch doesnt do anything, and when I turn my headlights off the fogs turn off.

<P>What is wrong?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Just for clarification, after the mod you will have to turn the fogs off manually? Even the remote locks that kill the headlights wont turn them off?

·
Maxed out Rep Club Member
14,279 Posts
It took me 20 minutes, everything works like Tony posted. Thanks again, great mod!

1 - 20 of 104 Posts