Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Q: Is there any way to tell if a car you are behind is an unmarked police car?
Is there any way to tell if the car behind you is an unmarked police car?

I mainly want to know so when I'm driving around at night and come up to grandpa in his Crown Victoria I know it's not a cop.

I was told that you can see a stabilizer bar between the back two wheels... but I haven't been able to confirm that.

Any other tell tale signs?

·
Registered
6,282 Posts
Tinlemon said:
Q: Is there any way to tell if a car you are behind is an unmarked police car?
Is there any way to tell if the car behind you is an unmarked police car?

I mainly want to know so when I'm driving around at night and come up to grandpa in his Crown Victoria I know it's not a cop.

I was told that you can see a stabilizer bar between the back two wheels... but I haven't been able to confirm that.

Any other tell tale signs?
Shouldn't their license plate say "Exempt" or something along those lines?

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
the plates...either is exempt or it only has one letter and the rest are number...but this applies to California only... :D

·
Registered
28,808 Posts
You can see two hooves holding onto the steering wheel instead of hands.

·
Registered
343 Posts
over here in the south, popo cars have permanant license plates instead of state licenses. nothing about exempt on them. they also have that half-sphere chrome reflector thingy by the side mirrors. i've seen them come in white, black, navy, and burgundy crown victoria's so far.

·
Registered
20,481 Posts
Even if you spot the differences, it would be too late. Probably get pulled over at that instant, if you're speeding etc.

·
Registered
343 Posts
PMD911 said:
Even if you spot the differences, it would be too late. Probably get pulled over at that instant, if you're speeding etc.
true. you said spotting difference on the car behind you so the license plates differences won't do you no good. only thing from the front is the half-sphere chrome reflector thing next to the side mirrors but no point in it cause it would be too late.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
But I thought they couldnt write you a ticket, without a real cop being there?? Anyway, yeah, they have lights in the grill which are really visible in the day. And the chrome ball also :lol:

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Aubie83 said:
But I thought they couldnt write you a ticket, without a real cop being there?? Anyway, yeah, they have lights in the grill which are really visible in the day. And the chrome ball also :lol:
Here in TX, it's against the law for an unmarked car to pull you over for a traffic violation. The main reason for this is so that people just can't go out and buy a white Crown Vic, put some lights on it, then pull you over and rob you. No one really knows about this law, but it's there.

If you wanna spot an unmarked car, look for the search light on the driver's side A-pillar. All cop cars, marked or unmarked, have them.

·
Registered
12,480 Posts
Shopsey'IS300 said:
Not in Ny.... u gotta c if theres lights inn bet the Grills.... and also main main part is the EZpass.... if u c its orange dont mess....
Yes sir. Also you can tell if there are lights inside the rear windshield, multiple antennas, certain lettering on the license plates, etc.

This summer, in the Hamptons, I saw some fucked up lookin undercover cop cars pullin' people over on rte.27. When I say 'fucked up' cars, I'm talkin' beat up Hondas and Chevys. I may have been really drunk, but I distinctly remember seeing cars like that pullin' people over at 4:30am! :eek:

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lex Luthor said:
Shopsey'IS300 said:
Not in Ny.... u gotta c if theres lights inn bet the Grills.... and also main main part is the EZpass.... if u c its orange dont mess....
Yes sir. Also you can tell if there are lights inside the rear windshield, multiple antennas, certain lettering on the license plates, etc.

This summer, in the Hamptons, I saw some fucked up lookin undercover cop cars pullin' people over on rte.27. When I say 'fucked up' cars, I'm talkin' beat up Hondas and Chevys. I may have been really drunk, but I distinctly remember seeing cars like that pullin' people over at 4:30am! :eek:
Yeah.. in Maryland they use Ford Mustangs all the time. I've seen them several times on Rt. 95

·
Registered
12,480 Posts
JCE10 said:
I just realized I've gone a year without getting a ticket. Ahh, I think I just jinxed myself. :crazy:
Nah, don't worry about it. I keep telling everyone how it's been 4 years or so since my last one and nothing's happened. ((knocks on wood many, many times))

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Shopsey'IS300 said:
Also in NYC if POS Lumina has dual exhaust and black inserts on the rims you got a winner. Also i spoted two undercover TAXI cabs in BK.

·
Registered
827 Posts
EvgeshaIS300 said:
Shopsey'IS300 said:
Also in NYC if POS Lumina has dual exhaust and black inserts on the rims you got a winner. Also i spoted two undercover TAXI cabs in BK.
Undercover Taxi? How does that work? Do they not give any rides to people?

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
Dernick said:
Aubie83 said:
Here in TX, it's against the law for an unmarked car to pull you over for a traffic violation. The main reason for this is so that people just can't go out and buy a white Crown Vic, put some lights on it, then pull you over and rob you. No one really knows about this law, but it's there.

If you wanna spot an unmarked car, look for the search light on the driver's side A-pillar. All cop cars, marked or unmarked, have them.
yea, but they get around that by putting the word "Police" in dark grey letters on the back of the car. The decal is only about 8 inches long, and on the impalas, they put it on the rear tailight assembly right in the middle, so its VERY hard to see. But that makes it a marked car!

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
Dernick said:
Aubie83 said:

yea, but they get around that by putting the word "Police" in dark grey letters on the back of the car. The decal is only about 8 inches long, and on the impalas, they put it on the rear tailight assembly right in the middle, so its VERY hard to see. But that makes it a marked car!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
22 Participants
Justin.b
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing