Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have had my IS for about a year but until recently hadn't thought about putting any mods on my car. Since I'm basically green to the world of aftermarket parts etc I was wondering how some of you more experienced guys would spend an initial grand on speed enhancing parts. Is throwing up the extra $$$ for high end parts like SRT intake a good idea since I plan on spending more money on mods down the line? Let me know what you think!!! Thanks

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I think this is like the 3rd thread I saw this past month with a 1k, 1.5k, and wutever on how to spend it. But yea...if I were you...click on the search button first and see what comes out before you start a thread. People will start bitchin at you lol.

If you are planning to go turbo in the future...dont even bother wid the N/A mods. But just to let you know...have at least 9-10k backed up for going turbo. There's a lot of threads on why turbo cost so damn much.

But if you arent planning to go t/c...SRT intake would be a good choice as well as injen, k&n, joez, plp...etc...SRT is notorious because it comes wid the r-ecu just to let you know. If I had 1k..I would first off tint the damn car...and then probably save a little more to buy a kit. Btw, welcome to the forums.

http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=265311

and check out that bolt on list on top of the list..it has most of the parts made for our car.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
If you have any plans to go turbo, then (as stated above) do not buy any bolt ons.

I wouldn't buy any bolt-ons for speed anyways. It will be a waste of money--meaning you will spend a lot of money for very minimal gains. Very minimal.

With a $1k, I would tint my windows, buy some sway bars, better brake pads/ss lines, and then maybe a cat back exhaust for looks and exhaust tone.

Don't waste you money on bolt-ons, you will spend a lot for not much power.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
i would work on handling with 1k...brakes, sways, and then with whatevers left get some tints or decals from flatline :)

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
It really depends what you are looking for. Are you gonna track the car? Do you like ripping corners? If you dont do those at all...I wouldnt recommend sways. It's pretty useless if you dont do any hard cornerings. Better yet...you can buy an intake and an alarm. I spent almost 1k on my alarm. Pretty expensive imo....viper 5000 with all the hood pins and crap like that. Plus the window roll up in the front. Since I have that...both my front windows are auto now lol. It was installed by security and sounds...top quality.

·
大古古
1,287 Posts
i wouldnt spend money on engine parts if i only had one grand. id go for ICE or a kit.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So most of you are saying that bolt ons like intake and exhaust are a waste of money and won't really make any difference in performance. I have my windows tinted already and my friend threw a 40 bottle on my hood so I'm getting a carbon fiber hood as a replacement (courtesy of my plastered friend). My car is silver so any suggestions on brands for the cf hood? Anyway 1k should go towards brakes, sway bars??? I'm not planning on going turbo any time soon.

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
umiamis300 said:
So most of you are saying that bolt ons like intake and exhaust are a waste of money and won't really make any difference in performance. I have my windows tinted already and my friend threw a 40 bottle on my hood so I'm getting a carbon fiber hood as a replacement (courtesy of my plastered friend). My car is silver so any suggestions on brands for the cf hood? Anyway 1k should go towards brakes, sway bars??? I'm not planning on going turbo any time soon.
DG motorsports C/F hood
VIS
TRD

Depends on how much you want to take your friend for :lol:

·
Registered
547 Posts
umiamis300 said:
Um well with brakes you really aren't going to find anything for $1,000. Maybe buy yourself some Rotora's Rotors.

sISp

·
Registered
547 Posts
SLayerS said:
What, 1K?
Lower your car first and get new wheels :p
With $1k? Are you kidding me? Haha.

Tein S.Techs = $147 + shipping
Cheapest rims available = $500 + shipping
Cheapest tires available = $300 + shipping
Total = $947

I guess it's possible with some rims/tires

sISp

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no way am i lowering my car...i bottom out everywhere as it is plus i'm not looking to spend 1k on the cars looks.

·
Registered
547 Posts
umiamis300 said:
no way am i lowering my car...i bottom out everywhere as it is plus i'm not looking to spend 1k on the cars looks.
Alright then, that's the kinda information that we need then. If you want some performance without going boost, here you go:

SRT Intake w/ ECU - 28hp: $475
This system helps the engine breath much better and gives the car quicker acceleration and much crisper throttle response throughout the entire RPM range.

Toyomoto Gen II Headers - 20hp: $400 Total
(Headers: $299, Sell they Y-Pipe for $100, Pay $200 to have it installed)
Increases the flow of exhaust and performance by 15 Rear Wheel Horsepower

Titan Exhaust Cam Gear - 14hp: $220
(Cam: $155, Install: $65)
The Titan cam gear utilizes state-of-the-art five fastener stainless on stainless hosting for incredible robustness and adjustability.

And now for your totals,

Monetary
About $1,095 for all new and installed, but you may end up paying a little more for the cam gear, depending upon who installs and tunes it. For example, the people installing my headers are also going to install and tune my cam gear for a much cheaper rate than normal. Just try to work something out.

Horsepower Gains
You should receive about a 62hp gain from these simple mods, making your car have an overall total of about 275-285hp.

I'd suggest also, as you work and get money from time to time, save it until you get about $450 so you can by a new or used exhaust. With the exhaust, you'd probably get another 10hp depending on the manufacturer, making your car then have a total of possibly 285-295hp if you're lucky.

I sincerely hope this helps you in your quest to make your car better and more performance parts, and welcome to the board,

sISp

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
speedisprecious said:
Um well with brakes you really aren't going to find anything for $1,000. Maybe buy yourself some Rotora's Rotors.

sISp
Not at all. SS lines are one of the best brake mods for pedal feel and responsiveness. The can be had for 100-140 and ususally another 100-150 for install. Something like that. I can't quite remember.

Also the hotchkis sways and springs can be had on the .net store for 330 and 120 respectively. For install figure from 150-300. You will appreciate suspension mods as you notice them during daily driving.

For exhaust you can look at the hks drager II, greddy evo II, borla, or apexi. You can get some great deals on exhaust on ebay from brands like pro1, hp racing, and megan racing.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
547 Posts
_DAG_ said:
Not at all. SS lines are one of the best brake mods for pedal feel and responsiveness. The can be had for 100-140 and ususally another 100-150 for install. Something like that. I can't quite remember.
My bad man. I thought they meant actual kits. That's what I was referring to.

sISp

·
Registered
170 Posts
speedisprecious said:
Alright then, that's the kinda information that we need then. If you want some performance without going boost, here you go:

SRT Intake w/ ECU
Toyomoto Gen II Headers
Titan Exhaust Cam Gear

That should bring you up to about 275-285hp. If you had more money I'd say to get an exhaust as well for another ~10hp. Hope this helps,

sISp
This looks like a good plan to spend $1k for some performance, I would go with this.

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
SRT Intake w/ ECU
Toyomoto Gen II Headers
Titan Exhaust Cam Gear

That should bring you up to about 275-285hp. If you had more money I'd say to get an exhaust as well for another ~10hp. Hope this helps,
No idea where you are getting 275-285 HP out of that but its not going to happen :lol:

Most people with intake, came and exhaust are only dynoing @ around 210-212

So there is not a chance that headers will get you to 275-285 :lol:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts