Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am about to install my new Hertz HSK 165 Front components, but I am alittle confused about how to go about removing the factory tweeter and even more confused about installing an aftermarket tweeter.

From some research, I have concluded that the wires to the factory tweeter have to be cut and one 10 mm bolt has to be removed to get it out. Correct?

As far as installing new tweeters go, I am supposed to glue the tweeter on to the factory mounting base? I thought the magnet on the back of the tweeter should not be touching something, but it will be glued on to bare metal? Is this safe? Finally, once I glue it on I can twist the metal base to aim my tweeter. Am I supposed to aim it while the tweeter is glued on or while it is not put on yet. Seems kind of impossible to bend that bracket with a tweeter on it, without damaging something in the process. Can I use Gorilla Super Glue?

Any advice will be very helpful.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
whoa buddy. if you have some patience, or you know how to fiberglass, i have a solution. i can take your stock sail panels that came on the car, and mold the new tweeters into it like the way mine are, or if you can fiber glass you can do it yourself. the problem with your idea is that i'm assuming that you bought 1 inch tweeters, which most likely aren't going to fit under the sail panel. i know for a fact that the tbi's i'm running won't. so if your interested in sending me your sail panels and a tweeter, i'll build you some sail panels on the super cheap. or i can help you do it yourself. either way doesn't matter to me.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
hey bro, do you have a picture of your tweeter molded sail panels?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
i think the stock position is actually pretty good for the tweeters. yes the magnet can touch the metal just make sure that the speaker inputs are not touching metal. the stock tweeter should unclip and there will be a ten mm holding it in place once you take the ten mm off there will be a phillips screw on the back side of the tweeter. if the aftermarket tweeters are around the same size your golden, glue them into place and your done. if not have Avernier make those sail panels and call it a day.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya the hertz HSK 165 tweeters are 1''. I like the idea of getting fiberglassed tweeter sail panels, and I would love to learn. If it looks to difficult for I am willing to send you my sail panels and a tweeter. Will the factory sail panels be destroyed in the process?

I would also like to just stick them to the factory mounting plate though and use my factory sail panels. Keep everything simple. They should fit with some modification of the sail panel trim, they are 1'' but they look exactly the same size as the factory ones. I wont know though till I try it tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
they would be used in the aid of fiber glassing in the new tweeters. so yes they would be destroyed in the aspect of not being able to put it back to stock once you are done..
but they wont be destroyed in the aspect of looking ugly and hokey. either way you can pick some up for 20 bucks if you ever needed to turn them back to stock.
however most systems end up going with the car and youll start all over with your next car.
also if you end up having him build you the tweeter pods then you might as well have him build you mdf baffles for the speakers.
glad to see you learning and trying to do things yourself.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
pics in a second...

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
mine were made by steven, Italynstylion, because he already had them for the tweeters he sold me, but the ones i would make would be just the same. heres a quote from steven to the ones in my car..

^ I did the same thing with mine. I sold them to Avernier for his IS. Basically the exact same thing :)

·
Registered
799 Posts
i shoved my aftermarket kicker RS component tweeters into the stock pod and angled it the way i wanted and used black hot glue and glued it into place. its dead factory, it barely fit and bulged the pod alittle but hardly noticeable.

·
Premium Member
11,198 Posts
Making those pods was pretty fun! Not bad for my first try eh? I really need to learn how do fiberglass like a pro, that's a needed skill for sure.

I encourage you guys to check the forums for people parting out and such. That's what I did to find an extra set of pods. I think the guy gave them to me for like $15. That way if I screwed up I'd just put the stock ones back on.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Why is there a need to reangle the tweeter? Can't I just attach the aftemarket tweeter to the factory bracket and use that existing angle?

·
Premium Member
11,198 Posts
Why is there a need to reangle the tweeter? Can't I just attach the aftemarket tweeter to the factory bracket and use that existing angle?
It really just depends on how large the tweeter you're putting in is. I was able to put my Focal tweeters in there no problem but it would have been hard to get anything larger in there. I bent the bracket to get a BETTER angle on the tweeters.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Makes sense, but say for instance you fiberglass the tweeter. It only sits at a certain angle. How does one know that the angle it will be fiberglassed at is the "correct" angle? I am assuming that ieally the tweeter sound is supposed to pass infront of your face towards the center of your car and it is not supposed to be firing directly at your face?

By the way, I compared my aftermarket tweeter against my factory one, and the Hertz tweeter is quite a bit larger. I tried to fit it into the factory sail panel too and it looks like there will be alot modification required to make it fit. Angling will take alot of work too so that it fits into the sail panel while still having a good firing angle.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
:note: this is arguable.

in general, a baffle won't affect a tweeter nearly as much as any other speaker, so you and usually just hot glue a few toothpicks and test the aim of the tweet as many times as you wish untill you find an angle you like. some tweeters sound much better on axis, where others do just fine completely off axis. testing the tweeter angle is crucial to getting the sound you like. so basically, once you've tested, you cut the opening of the tweeter pod, and do a mock up, put the pod in the door, making sure the angle is correct, then you remove the tweeter, and start to fiberglass, on a tweeter pod, you can use an old t-shirt instead of actual glass as structural integrity is not all that important. once you put down about 2-3 layers, and it doesn't flex under slight pressure, you start sanding down the high spots. then you add a little filler to smooth out any low spots or dimples, and sand it smooth. then primer, and paint. rattle can will work fine for a tweeter pod. make sure the finish is nice enough for your taste. refit the tweeter, and put it in the car.does it look good? does it sound good? if yes to those questions, then proceed to rock out heavily. its pretty simple, and if you feel a little scared, give it a try, and if you fail, i can make you some or sell you my stockers and you can try again. you only learn by trying.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.