Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
pop the rear key lock mechnism out. make a plate that fits the hole and fit a camera to the plate. attach the camera w/plate to the key hole. My installer did the install, but thats pretty much the idea behind it.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
peterc said:
pop the rear key lock mechnism out. make a plate that fits the hole and fit a camera to the plate. attach the camera w/plate to the key hole. My installer did the install, but thats pretty much the idea behind it.
can you take a picture?

·
Premium Member
4,786 Posts
The keyhole install is harder then you think because of the linkage that goes to the hand trunk release, remote release, emergency release :crazy:

I went straight through the center of my Lic plate, great view with the wide angle lens plus there is very little sheetmetal to cut thru in that part of the trunk.
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lc...300&.dnm=Camera2.jpg&.src=ph&.view=t&.hires=t

The Louisiana lic plates have the state seal in the center of the plates so you can't even tell the cam is there b/c its kinda camoflauged.

I will post some pics of the bracket and mout if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
LCA575 said:
The keyhole install is harder then you think because of the linkage that goes to the hand trunk release, remote release, emergency release :crazy:

I went straight through the center of my Lic plate, great view with the wide angle lens plus there is very little sheetmetal to cut thru in that part http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lc...300&.dnm=Camera2.jpg&.src=ph&.view=t&.hires=t

The Louisiana lic plates have the state seal in the center of the plates so of the trunk.
you can't even tell the cam is there b/c its kinda camoflauged.

I will post some pics of the bracket and mout if anyone is interested.
it took my installer about 10 minutes to figure out what to do with the mechanical trunk release :D so i still can use them all.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
it was a little steep at $200 installed (but he also made a 50mile one way drive to my place to do the install).

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
peterc said:
it was a little steep at $200 installed (but he also made a 50mile one way drive to my place to do the install).
Can you list the parts/equipment you use for the camera?

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
justin or peter,

can you please post a pic of the camera mounted/installed? i would like to see what needs to be done to hold the camera there... :)

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Chigger said:
peterc said:
Can you list the parts/equipment you use for the camera?
all you need is a camera.. i dont have a clue what it was. It was then connected to the AV electronic video-nav unit.

·
Premium Member
4,786 Posts
For anyone interested, I am getting pics and working on a tutorial.
I need to check with the place I got my camera from b/c I may be able to get a good deal on monitor/ camera packages if anyone wants to do this.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
today i bought my cmaera and took off the lock. A pretty straightfoward install. Should comlete 2morrow!

I did have one setback. I was going to use the silver cover that fits around the keyhole as a bevel for the camera and paint it blacl, but i LOST it!!! So iwll be starting from scratch. Other than that an easy install.

One more prob is retaining the use of the inside trunk lever.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Bumpin'Lex said:
today i bought my cmaera and took off the lock. A pretty straightfoward install. Should comlete 2morrow!

I did have one setback. I was going to use the silver cover that fits around the keyhole as a bevel for the camera and paint it blacl, but i LOST it!!! So iwll be starting from scratch. Other than that an easy install.

One more prob is retaining the use of the inside trunk lever.
tie the cable from the inside trunk lever to the release mechnism part of the "i got stuck in the trunk" emergency trunk release lever. So the inside trunk lever cable is going to pull on the emergency lever to open the trunk. But don't use it too much since its ghetto-rigged :D

I hope that wasn't too confusing. 8)

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
LCA575 said:
I need to check with the place I got my camera from b/c I may be able to get a good deal on monitor/ camera packages if anyone wants to do this.
i'd be interested........

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
LCA575 said:
That would be great.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts